"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's assuming you can good-quality ingredients - that's not a given for everyone. It wouldn't hurt you to think about other people's circumstances now and then.
If you are buying canned paste at an Asian market, then you can find the fresh ingredients there as well. Don't know what your problem is with me, but I could care less. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
If you are buying canned paste at an Asian market, then you can find the fresh ingredients there as well. Don't know what your problem is with me, but I could care less. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
I can probably find yellow curry paste at the supermarket in the ethnic section. I definitely won't find lemon grass there.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I've even seen lemon grass in the large grocery store. It's by the herbs.

What's the big deal with the paste? Why wouldn't powdered curry work? Or can you make a paste using the powder?
Old 01-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I can probably find yellow curry paste at the supermarket in the ethnic section. I definitely won't find lemon grass there.
I never said supermarket. Jennyema said you can get good quality, canned paste at an Asian market.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I never said supermarket. Jennyema said you can get good quality, canned paste at an Asian market.
Nope, you didn't. But, it is a good reason to use the paste. I prefer to make my own paste too. But, sometimes I don't have the energy or all the ingredients, and then a good quality paste is very handy.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I see jarred red, yellow and green Thai curry paste in all the regular grocery stores I visit, for just a few dollars, whereas an Asian market is a 40-minute drive away and the ingredients would cost more than the jar.

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion. You like to state your opinion and then restate it more strongly when someone offers something different. Your implication that your way is the only good or best solution ignores the fact that not everyone has access to the same stores or has the same financial resources.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I've even seen lemon grass in the large grocery store. It's by the herbs.

What's the big deal with the paste? Why wouldn't powdered curry work? Or can you make a paste using the powder?
Traditional powdered curry powder doesn't use Thai ingredients; it's basednon Indian flavors. Lemongrass is one of several ingredients that give Thai curry its flavors. Thai chiles and kaffir lime leaves can be difficult to find, and kaffir lime leaves have a unique flavor.

My International Recipe Book by Cooks Illustrated even suggests using A Taste of Thai because it's easier and more economical.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Traditional powdered curry powder doesn't use Thai ingredients; it's basednon Indian flavors. Lemongrass is one of several ingredients that give Thai curry its flavors. Thai chiles and kaffir lime leaves can be difficult to find, and kaffir lime leaves have a unique flavor.

My International Recipe Book by Cooks Illustrated even suggests using A Taste of Thai because it's easier and more economical.
Thanks for tackling my question. I know that sometimes I ask hard ones.

So powder form curries are always East Indian?
Is that one way to differentiate between the two, powder=Indian, paste=Thai?
Old 01-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks for tackling my question. I know that sometimes I ask hard ones.

So powder form curries are always East Indian?
Is that one way to differentiate between the two, powder=Indian, paste=Thai?
I don't know if the powder form is always East Indian. I think it's mostly a western approximation of East Indian.

I have several East Indian curry pastes in jars in my fridge. I find that the spices keep their flavours better in a paste than in powder form. It also keeps them from oxidizing and changing flavour (well, at least they don't oxidize as much).
Old 01-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, Tax. I'll have to look into this.
As far as the OP was concerned I was thinking the paste added a thickness to the soup, but it looks like it's more a flavor thing or preference.

Tags
chicken, curry, other, potato, recipe

Looking for recipe Yellow curry (potato, chicken, vermicelli) We always go to locat Viet/Thai restaurant and they have the greates dish, which is Yellow Curry sauce with potatoes, chicken, and vermicelli. The sauce is pretty thick, but all of it resembles a thick soup. I can defeniatelly taste Coconut milk in the sauce. I cannot really find a recipe for this, as I'm unsure how to word it, I tried few google searches but nothing similar. 3 stars 1 reviews