"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 11-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #21
Head Chef

Im vegetarian , cheese, butter fine by me ( sea food, poultry, beef, pork ... not good )
Frying tastes %100 better IMO, but at home, I try to keep it as healthy as I possibly could. When I go to the restaurants, health doesn't play as important of a role for me.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #22
Head Chef

Most recipes I've tried in the past are primarily cabbage based ( whether it s green cabbage, nappa cabbage, combo) , in addition ive seen scallions, water chestnuts , bamboo shoots, shitake mushrooms, carrots, celery. Many call for a little corn starch.

Out of convenience, Ive used precut coleslaw mix ( usually carrots and cabbage) then made whatever additions i had in the house. All versions ive tried tasted good, but are all missing that 'restaurant touch', probably cause I dont deep fry them.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:01 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Yes, but Larry has never stated that he was vegan, just vegetarian. My suggestion was just a thought. He doesn't want to fry them. Every time he has asked for assistance, he has always stated baked, not fried.
My response wasn't just about Larry's question. You asked if it was vegetarian. I was just offering more information.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:05 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't digest cabbage and other cruciferous veggies well, which is one reason why I prefer spring rolls. Another is that I just prefer the taste of the fresh ingredients and light sauce that come with spring rolls.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #25
Master Chef

I do not deep fry mine. I simply fry on two sides. The rest gets cooked by itself so to speak.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

I am Vietnamese. Growing up, my mom would fry spring rolls wrapped in rice papers (its much thinner than egg wrappers and almost translucent). You probably had rice papers on Vietnamese Fresh Summer rolls.
For health reason, I don't fry my spring rolls and bake them instead! (hope mom doesn't read this! )
You can saute your vegetables, drain off the excess liquid and let them cool. Wrap a tablespoon of the filling in egg wrappers. Place the spring rolls on lined baking sheet with parchment paper and ****spray your spring rolls with PAM *****. Bake them in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees. The spring rolls should come out golden brown and crispy. (never tried baking spring rolls wrapped in rice paper though, let me know if anyone tried it)
Old 12-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I stuffed egg roll wrappers (brushed on both sides with egg) with homemade kimchi (drained) to which I added mashed up chickpeas. OMG, served with more kimchi on the side, I am totally addicted. Two of my favorite foods--kimchi and chickpeas deep fried in an egg roll wrapper.

Tags
recipe

Looking for Spring Roll Recipe Tonight is Chinese food night at my house. Along with other things, I'll be making spring rolls ( vegetarian). When I get them at the restaurant, they taste great. When I make them at home, they taste good. So, I'm looking for Great ( maybe Im missing something ( other than the meat/ shrimp (just to avoid the bad jokes that will probably follow:rofl:))) So, if any of you guys / gals has any TNT Spring Roll Filling suggestions, that taste right out of the Chinese restaurant kitchen, feel free to share them with me . Thanks , Larry 3 stars 1 reviews