"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-29-2015, 06:40 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
"1/5 to 2 inches across" ??
I meant 1.5 to 2 inches. Sorry about that.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I meant 1.5 to 2 inches. Sorry about that.
Thanks. You must be a touch typist.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #33
Master Chef

I also use beef only. BUT I usually use 1 egg for 2 lb. meat, fresh onion, fresh garlic, ground sea salt, ground pepper, ground red pepper flakes, cayenne. LOTS of fresh basil, oregano and Italian parsley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
See, that just doesn't sound appealing to me. I bake mine in the oven at 400F for 15 minutes and they get beautifully caramelized and are nice and tender on the inside. I love the brown, crispy crust they get
I use a disher/scoop and also bake/roast mine. I put my oven on 450F convection roast and cook for about 15 minutes. I also love how nice and brown and crispy they get. NO turning or grease splattering!!
I also won't go back to frying. I have NEVER boiled raw meatballs in the sauce. I don't enjoy the thought of having grease floating on the top of my sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
If you stew the balls long enough they will become very tender...just don't over do it because they will fall apart.

I also don't simmer my meatballs for very long in the sauce for that reason that they fall apart. I bake and drain them. Then I only simmer what I need in the sauce for the meal as needed.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:18 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

By baking them on a rack placed on a cookie sheet with sides, the meatballs will not be sitting in a pool of grease. A really nice flavorful crust will have formed on the meatballs. And they will be more healthy with all the grease gone. If they are allowed to form a crust on the outside, they shouldn't fall apart when placed in the gravy. If you place your meatballs in the gravy, another layer of flavor will develop.

I also use milk on the bread, not breadcrumbs. The enzymes in the milk break down the meat making it much more tender.

Unfortunately, in today's world, we often have to choose between healthy eating, or flavorful eating. But if you bake your meatballs and with the right seasonings, you can have both.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:37 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Since it is hard to find anything but extra lean ground beef or pork, I don't worry about the grease. If I put a rack under my meatballs, I would have an extra item to wash when I'm done making the meatballs.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:45 PM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Since it is hard to find anything but extra lean ground beef or pork,...
I'm surprised you don't have ground beef with various fat percentages. I regularly see 80%, 85%, 88%, 93% lean ground beef. Not sure Ive ever seen lean ground pork. I guess our locations offer different selections.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:51 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm surprised you don't have ground beef with various fat percentages. I regularly see 80%, 85%, 88%, 93% lean ground beef. Not sure Ive ever seen lean ground pork. I guess our locations offer different selections.
We used to get choices. It's even worse for me because I tend to buy organic.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:20 AM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Since it is hard to find anything but extra lean ground beef or pork, I don't worry about the grease. If I put a rack under my meatballs, I would have an extra item to wash when I'm done making the meatballs.
Quote:
I was sort of surprised at that statement too. I can get ground beef in the supermarket from 70% to 93 % lean. I prefer something around 80-85%. Seems to just work best for most of my hamburger needs. If there is too much fat cooked out, there are ways of dealing with that too. I prefer making my own choices rather than having them made for me.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:15 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
So true Andy. Come shop in Chelsea. It is so hard to find lean. Sometimes the beef is so loaded with fat, you can see the white streaks of it in the ground hamburg. But anytime London broil is on sale, it makes for great hamburg. So I will buy two or three of them and use my KA meat grinder. I will also buy a surplus supply of chuck cuts when they are on sale for the same purpose.

Tags
meat, meatballs