"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #11
Head Chef

Oh yes, BT, steamed lotus buns! And steamed red bean buns....oh no, I must not open this thread again, lol - my tummy is growling!

Old 01-18-2007, 12:46 PM   #12
Master Chef

I'm a big fan of both Green Tea & Red Bean ice cream at Japanese restaurants, but the only Chinese dessert I can recall my mother serving were either sweet bean paste cakes she purchased from the local Asian market, or chilled canned lychees & mandarin oranges mixed together.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:07 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I've eaten lychees and rambutam and kulfi and green tea ice cream and Gulab Jamun, but not being a "sweet" person, I don't bother much.
An Indian client just gave me her recipe for Gulab Jamun if you're interested!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveb
I've eaten lychees and rambutam and kulfi and green tea ice cream and Gulab Jamun, but not being a "sweet" person, I don't bother much.
An Indian client just gave me her recipe for Gulab Jamun if you're interested!
I have a pen and paper ready; I would love to have the recipe.

And by the way, Thank You for your post about tofu. I have a vegetarian in the house now so I am converting my kitchen and cooking to accomodate my son. I have been collecting recipes and ingredients for a few weeks. I made a fried rice dish yesterday with tofu. It was totally good.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:27 AM   #15
Head Chef

Well if Indian is included there are loads of Indian sweets....I do not know what they are all called but the variety is amazing, they are all intensly sweet. Cubes of milky sweets, a variety fried batters with honeys and syrups, and of course gulab jamun and kulfi....please post the recipe Cliveb!
Old 01-19-2007, 03:12 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I have a Japanese friend who told me that they traditionally dont eat desert after a meal. If they have sweets they will have it seperately perhaps with tea but not after a meal. If they do have desert is is usually fruit. Other deserts such as green tea ice cream etc are more recent inclusions.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:27 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Martin Yan has some great easy, fast recipes in his book - "Quick meals" (can't remember the exact title and I'm not home). One for a banana split with Asian flavors we make over and over - it's delicious.

Red Bean Buns - oh, we love those!!! Steamed or baked!
Old 01-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Its not a dairy cream, its a set cream coloured and not quite opaque jelly...goodness knows what its made of, it is elatively flavourless, unlike the strong coloured flavoured jellys it is layered with, and is used mainly, I think, to create the amazing layered effect, which is simply beautiful. And yes, they are very firm, they would have to be to stand in the little towers there do, especially while being pushed around in a trolley, lol!
This sounds similiar to a dessert I make we call Rainbow Jello. It is made with different flavored jello and sour cream. When you make it you mix up the box of jello and divide in half. Pour half into your container and refridgerate. Other half let cool on counter and add sour cream. When first layer set, gently pour second layer on top and refridgerate until set. While this is setting make next box of jello so it can be cooling. It's not a hard thing to make but it usually takes all day! When you serve it you get beautiful stripes of clear and creamy colors alternating and the sour cream is very mild and unites all the flavors of the jello. I'll pull out my recipe and get you the exact measurements if any one is interested.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:03 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Look on the " Desserts, Sweets and Baking" forum for the recipe! Here we go!
Old 01-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #20
Sous Chef

I thought at a chinese restaurant, dessert is going to Ben and Jerry's across the street...

Both gulab jamon and kulfi are covered in earlier threads on this board. Probably better to search this, I know there is a good thread or two out there on this.

Tags
None