"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Steven S - Please see the link that I posted. It will take you to a site that sells Paella pans and has recipes to make paella in a paella pan - Just what you asked for, I think - AC

Old 01-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Steven S - Please see the link that I posted. It will take you to a site that sells Paella pans and has recipes to make paella in a paella pan - Just what you asked for, I think - AC
yep, I saw the links... actually, I had those bookmarked from a couple years ago, good ones, thanks!

Old 01-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Mine goes into the oven for about 1/2 an hour at 350/400 degrees to cook/open the clams &/or mussels, heat everything through, & meld the flavors.
How are you getting the soccarat? Do you return it too the stovetop?
Old 01-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
PaellaPans.com - Recipes

Welcome to DC

AC
Mmmm! I am not big on seafood, so I'm going to try the Chicken, Artichoke, Red Pepper recipe from that site. But add chorizo.

I don't have a paella pan, but my wok should be okay, right?

Lee
Old 01-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #15
Master Chef

No soccarat (basically browned crusty rice on the bottom of the pan for those unfamiliar with the term) develops in my version because I use a pottery Cazuelas, which can't be used on a stovetop. You could, however, get a soccarat if you used a large carbon-steel wok or a dutch oven (or a paella pan, of course). To be perfectly honest, I don't miss the soccarat at all.

Like I've already said several times in this thread, my version isn't "authentic". What it is is relatively easy, not terribly time-consuming, & extremely tasty.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #16
Master Chef

So long as your wok is carbon steel or cast iron & not one of the non-stick ones, it should be perfectly fine to use for paella. I've made several very respectable & authentic paellas in my carbon-steel wok.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Lee - I think the wok will be fine. I agree metal would be preferable to non stick.

So far as the chorizo - Sounds yummy.

Personally, I would go 1/2 to 3/4 " on the cubes as opposed to 1 to 2 "

AC

I made Emeril's New Orleans Paella for 8. I used the turkey roaster pan. It worked great. I even got the crust on the bottom.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:21 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Paella is a special dish, and if you have time to make it properly, I agree with Seven S, it is very rewarding to do it properly. The Spaniards proudly present this dish to you for your approval in Spain when you order it in a restaurant. Don't take this the wrong way, but I think paella is a little like pizza. As long as you have the basic ingredients on hand, you can always improvise with what else you have on hand to create something really great. I make a paella for friends every other month or so, and it takes me about an hour or so to make it--definitely worth it! Anyway, that's my two cents worth!
Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 AM   #19
Head Chef

I saw a program making this for a party. They were arriving home with bags of fresh vegetables and ingredients. It was a team, Rick Bayless and I think his daughter.

They began by prepping the vegetables - tomatoes and peppers and some broth.

Then they went outside to build a small temporary structure to heat the paella on. It was a ring of bricks as big as the pan and 2 or 3 rings of bricks high, with a fire built in the middle-on the patio or in the grass. The huge paella pan sits on top of the fire ring and the cooking can begin.

First the chicken was cooked in the pan. Then removed and kept warm baking in the oven. Then the choriso and onions and vegetables are cooked in the pan.

Then the rice and broth are added and cooked. Now add back the chicken and any seafood to finish cooking for a few minutes.
Sprinkle with peas and parsley and serve.

It looked like a really fun dish to make and eat for a large group of people.

I searched out the recipe, Rick Bayless has a whole site of recipes. Here is the link.
Main Dishes - Rick Bayless | Frontera
Enjoy. ~Bliss
Old 06-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #20
Head Chef

Rick's "mexican" paella is interesting. I love poblano chiles and I'm sure they would add a welcome dimension to this dish. I've eaten paella in Spain, Mexico and good Spanish restaurants in the US. It is never exactly the same and it is always good. I think chadeasyspanishrecipe says it all
Quote:
As long as you have the basic ingredients on hand, you can always improvise with what else you have on hand to create something really great.

Tags
None