"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #31
Head Chef

I have used dried hominy and canned hominy--I love hominy. Posole is great, but hominy is also good in vegetable soup. When I do pork chops on the stovetop, I warm up a can of hominy in the pan drippings, adding lots of black pepper.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

I can't buy hominy here, so my only option is the dry...I'd have to plan ahead or soak it, cook it, and then freeze it. But, that sounds like a great way to eat it sparrowgrass.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I can't buy hominy here, so my only option is the dry...I'd have to plan ahead or soak it, cook it, and then freeze it. But, that sounds like a great way to eat it sparrowgrass.
Need me to get you a case of canned? Just rinse and use.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #34
Head Chef

You can can hominy! This website tells how to make it from scratch and then can it--just skip to the part about cooking til soft, and then follow the directions. Spend an afternoon in the kitchen, and then you just need to pop a lid!

National Center for Home Food Preservation | UGA Publications
Old 01-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

First I have to grow the corn...
Old 01-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #36
Head Chef

I was going to make hominy out of corn--I bought a sack of feed corn, sorted out a gallon of whole kernels, and started the recipe. I was supposed to soak the corn in a lime mix--when I poured the water on, all these bugs floated up!

Kinda took my appetite away. But the chickens enjoyed the corn.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I was going to make hominy out of corn--I bought a sack of feed corn, sorted out a gallon of whole kernels, and started the recipe. I was supposed to soak the corn in a lime mix--when I poured the water on, all these bugs floated up!

Kinda took my appetite away. But the chickens enjoyed the corn.
When I was a child, we had lots of chickens. My Dad put the water trough at one end of the coop and mounted a bug zapper over it. When the zapper zapped a bug, the bug would fall into the water trough. The chickens figured it out and when that zapper started popping in the evening, the chickens would stampede for the water trough to eat bugs.

Chickens are bug eating machines!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
When I was a child, we had lots of chickens. My Dad put the water trough at one end of the coop and mounted a bug zapper over it. When the zapper zapped a bug, the bug would fall into the water trough. The chickens figured it out and when that zapper started popping in the evening, the chickens would stampede for the water trough to eat bugs.

Chickens are bug eating machines!
At one time in my life, we had about 20 cornish cross hens, and a couple of roosters. While gathering eggs one day, I saw a large mouse start to scurry through the hen house. Those hens saw it to. You've heard about a shark or pirahna feeding frenay? Well it ain't nothin' compared to a bunch of hens in an enclosure with a mouse. I don't think a weasle would have stood a chance in there. That mouse was eaten to the bone so fast. It only took seconds. I'm glad we're much larger than they are. Chickens are eating machines!

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
At one time in my life, we had about 20 cornish cross hens, and a couple of roosters. While gathering eggs one day, I saw a large mouse start to scurry through the hen house. Those hens saw it to. You've heard about a shark or pirahna feeding frenay? Well it ain't nothin' compared to a bunch of hens in an enclosure with a mouse. I don't think a weasle would have stood a chance in there. That mouse was eaten to the bone so fast. It only took seconds. I'm glad we're much larger than they are. Chickens are eating machines!

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
When the hens catch a mouse, I call the "game" they play getting it away from each other "mouseball." Supposedly they do the same with snakes...I haven't seen them catch/eat a snake--yet.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

The DH (not sure if he wants to be an ex--god) came out yesterday. For lunch, I served the Pozole, which he has never had. He thought I used black beans and turkey--wrong! He did eat 3 bowls and took some home. So I guess he liked it. I liked the texture of the corn (al dente) and the flavor it added. I guess this is a "not chili" sort of dish. He also commented it was "hot enough" (I don't like things as "hot" as he does). Personally, I'm enjoying the leftovers.

Tags
None