Question about Sushi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buffwannabe said:
i know but i want to use mostly salmon and tuna. Ok so i was thinking...i want to make sushi every day. im trying to eat 5 meals a day of good quality protien and complex carbs. I figured tuna/salmon and brown rice fit perfectly.
i need about 30 grams of protien each meal. soo...how many pounds of tuna and salmon should i get?

Three ounces of cooked brown rice has about 2 grams of protein
An ounce of raw tuna has 6.6 grams of protein
An ounce of tuna has 5.6 grams of protein

I'm not sure how much of each ingredient you use to make a sushi roll.

What about frozen tuna? there is an asian market that carries frozen tuna and all u have to do is just thaw it and they said it should taste close to fresh tuna

I don't trust fresh fish I buy to be sushi quality so have used a very mild smoked salmon before when making sushi and this works pretty well. I also use omelette (very thin and chopped up into fine strips), avocado, thin long slices of cucumber and the same of carrot. Sometimes I add a bit of cream cheese with the salmon and that is quite nice too.

I make maki, california rolls and inside out rolls. Of course it's not authentic but it always comes out pretty tasty and a lot cheaper than paying £2.20 for two pieces of maki :)

The hardest part for me was making the rice, well not so much hard but it takes a while and you need to mix it with the vinegar mixture and fan it. The actual rolling is very easy, just try to roll tightly and using clingfilm on the mat helps a great deal with not getting the sticky rice everywhere!

I order my sushi-grade fish and products from Catalina Offshore Products.

Living on the east-coast, I can get killer tuna up here. When purchasing from Whole Foods market, they have their own dock and the fish is only a day or two out of the water. I have them cut me fresh slices off the loin, and then I trim the "bloodline" out when I get home.

Unfortunately, my local supermarkets have terrible seafood with the exception of one independant non-chain place that sends a truck out to the docks 3 times a week. The only seafood I buy from the supermarkets is frozen shrimp, dry-packed scallops, and live lobster.

If the fish smells "fishy", isn't firm and elastic to the touch, or doesn't "glow" with freshness... don't buy it. Nevermind sushi, I won't buy fish to fully cook if it doesn't meet these standards. If the market smells "fishy" I won't buy anything there either. Most sal****er fish meeting these conditions should be safe to eat. It's fish that live parts of it's life in freshwater (like salmon) that you have to be extra-careful about. Most sal****er parasites are visible to the naked eye.

Chili-mayo is one of my favorite western sushi sauces. I can put away spicy tuna rolls like no one else... :ROFLMAO: Most bars use Masago instead of Tobikko, as it's about 1/4th the price. Unfortunately you don't get those little pops of flavor like you do with good tobikko. I make my own mayo for this, as the western mayos have too much vinegar for my taste when combined with the vinegar in the chili sauce. Then I mix in some Sriracha chili/garlic sauce, toasted sesame oil, finely sliced scallion, and tobikko. Tobikko does freeze well, and it's something I stock in my freezer along with vac-pacs of BBQ'd unagi.

Uber-fresh Hamachi is my favorite fish for sushi, but I haven't had luck with this fish even by mail-order.

Honest truth, sushi takes a lot of time and attention to make (good sushi that is, anyone can throw together a pollock california roll). You have to plan ahead for the raw ingredients (for freshness), and there is a lot of mise en place for generating a 5-6 items like I normally order. I usually just suck it up and dish out my $20+tip once a week to satisfy my cravings unless I'm having people over who specifically request sushi. Then I start the process. The exception would be tuna based dishes which is easy for me to source locally. Chirashi "scattered" sushi is something I sometimes do every once in a while. Bowl of good-quality properly cooked & seasoned rice, some slices of tuna, sweetened rolled omlet, pile of tobikko. Then I sprinkle some crushed toasted nori and sesame seeds on top.

Good luck!

EDIT - I guess the forum-filter doesn't agree with s-a-l-t-w-a-t-e-r... :LOL:

Last edited:
We love sushi - I'm not so wild about the nori - I guess something about living on the beach for a long time and smelling seaweed going yuck.????:sick: But, if I put lots of wasabi or Japanese mayonnaise on it I'm cool. We had a sushi party last spring - we did a lovely roll that was sushi rice on the inside with very thinly sliced cucumbers, halved cooked shrimp, and smoked salmon rolled on a diagonal outside the rice. Amazing & beautiful. Now I would add tobiko or some wasabi caviar (whitefish roe). Yum.

:-p:-p:-p

sushi caloric intake

As my screename implies, im trying to get buff and muscular but my caloric intake is REALLY REALLY low (are there any nutritionists out there?! :ermm: )

Here are my stats:

Height: 5 feet 8 inches
Wieght: 145 pounds
Body Fat: 14%
Daily Caloric Maintenance: 2500
Current Caloric Intake: 1500

Ok So i am trying to eat clean healthy calories, that means i am trying to eat foods with complex carbs, high fiber, high protien, high monounsaturated fats.

for 2500 calories needs to be split into 50% carbs 35% protien and 15% fat.

carbs = 1250 calories
protien= 875 calories
fat = 375 calories

i need to eat 5 meals a day.

so for each meal i need:

carbs: 1250/5 = 250 calories
protien: 875/5 = 175 calories
fat: 375/5 = 75 calores

converting to grams =

carbs: 250calories/4 calories per 1 gram of carb = 63 grams
protien: 175calories/4calories per 1 gram of prot = 44 grams
fat: 75calories/9calories per 1 gram of fat = 8 grams of fat

I want to eat sushi every day, and I am enquiring about the COST and AMOUNT of ingrediants needed to satisfy the daily 2500 requirements.

So How much does Tuna and Salmon cost, and how much would I need to buy to make it last for a week? ( I will do my grocery shopping every week)

Also I will NOT use white sushi rice, I will use BROWN rice. And I will also add avacado to sushi

Here are the nutrition facts of Brown Rice, Tuna, and Salmon, and Avacado (from fitday.com)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming that 16oz = 1 pound

Salmon : Protien: 83 grams of protien + 20 grams of fat
Tuna: Protien: 105 grams of protien + 5 grams of fat

1 cup of brown rice = 46 grams of carbs + 5 grams of protien
1 california avacado = 13 grams of carbs + 27 grams of fat + 3 grams of protien

I hope you guys can make sense of this lol :wacko:

Thanks for all your input :chef: :)

Ick... brown rice with sushi... :sick:

You're on your own with this one! White and Brown rice are actually the same thing. One just has a some fiber, minerals, and a trace amount of fat. Most of the world lives on white rice just fine. I assume you will take a vitamin supplement on your path to he-man (takes care of minerals), there is plenty of Omega-3 fat in the fish you will eat, so just eat something else that has a decent amount of fiber.

Sushi grade tuna that has been trimmed of it's bloodline and poor bands fetches about $20/lb. So for 1540g/wk at 105g of protein per pound, you're looking at about $300/wk for fish. Figure in good sushi rice and all your other mise-en-place and you're probably looking at $400/wk or $1600/mo just for you. Thats if you can get good quality fish all week. If you need to buy overnight via dry-ice you'll probably spend $1750/mo or so.

Sushi with top-quality fish ain't cheap... thats why most people don't eat it 21 times a week (I don't think I'd wnat to anyways... there are too many wonderful things I'd miss out on!).

Last edited:
Buff, you're going to have to increase your caloric intake per day if you want to gain muscle mass. At your current intake, assuming you're lifting say, 4-6 times a week, you'll build muscle mass with what you have but you won't really gain a lot of additional muscle mass. But it also depends on how heavy you want to be. What's your goal in terms of weight because in order to MAINTAIN your weight, you basically need to burn more calories than you intake. Most people burn way more that 1500 calories per day (hence to 2000-2500 recommended daily intake) so while you may gain a few pounds as your body fat % decreases, you won't gain substantial weight from muscle either.

You neeed to go to a gym and talk to an expert on weightlifting and the nutritional requirements that best support yout goals.

I already have done that, and i know that the advice i have gotten from everyone is: EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT!

Ok fine i have to eat, but i want to eat CLEAN. Thats why i am choosing sushi, but according to Nicholas it is VERY expensive. $300 a week? no thanks, thats how much i pay for my car every month. Man to get good clean food you sure have to pay a lot, but for crap foods its right at ur fingertip at an affordable price. Sucks. : - (

Please explain what you mean by clean food? There are plenty of healthy options that are not expensive.

You shouldn't eat any ONE thing ALL the time! While sushi is "clean" you still need other things. You need a balance of some fruits and vegetables.

Blueberries
Almonds
darker greens and vegetables
FIBER!

I don't think sushi would be $300 per week or anywhere close - if you ate out yes, it would be much more expensive, but not to make at home.

Have you looked into any of Mediterranean/Sonoma diets? I'm just saying for the recipes and variety. You'll get some suggestions/guidelines if you don't like exactly what you see.

Have you looked into the foods/recipes from Bill Phillips? Body For Life has some great recipes - the recipe book is definatley worth the money. Not EVERYTHING is wonderful but most of it is. I'll point you to the ones that are if you decide to get it. Here is the page showing the different topics for recipes.

I have a stovetop smoker. That will give you variety in flavors. You can smoke a chicken breast, tuna, salmon, veggies. Any and all of these can then be made into another meal by making them into a wrap using a whole wheat tortilla and a low fat spread.

Yes, healthy eating is more expensive. There's no getting around that. But seriously, you need variety and I don't think it would be good to eat nothing but raw fish ALL the time! There are good carbs out there too.

I understand your thought process but it would get old VERY fast with no variety. Go to a chain bookstore and sit and look at several books. Bill Phillips, even Phil McGraw's cookbook is good, Sonoma Diet, Mediterranean Diet, just hit the healthy eating cookbook area.

Let me know what you think.

There's all sorts of "clean" recipes out there - I have some great ones. PM me if you want them.

GB said:
Please explain what you mean by clean food? There are plenty of healthy options that are not expensive.

I think he just means healthy, good for you, not bad for you, low fat, good mix of protein/carbs - I have a friend that uses that word all the time so I have an idea what he means.

When you go to the grocery store just stick to the outside "wall" aisles. Fresh fruits/vegetables, fresh fish, fresh meat, fresh dairy, good bakery breads, and then grab a pack of gum instead of candy at the check out. The only venturing I do "into" the store is for some shredded wheat, pasta, and the occassional bag of Kettle Chips. Perishable items are stocked as close to the outside as they can get so that they are easy to replace. Perishable usually means good for you. Anything with a half-life rather than an expiration date probably isn't the best for the digestive track... :rolleyes:

To be honest, I'm actually amazed at all the processed foods supposed "health-nuts" eat. I especially get a kick out of the pretend tofu-meats that are loaded with junk. But it's not meat! :LOL:

Or "Organic" boxed Mac & Cheese... :ROFLMAO:

Nicholas Mosher said:
Or "Organic" boxed Mac & Cheese... :ROFLMAO:

5.gif
Don't burst my bubble!!!!!

And that's a real picture of me - I've been eating that organic mac and cheese every day for 3 years!

Back
Top Bottom