"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-30-2006, 09:02 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Maryland is the only place I've ever been that serves gravy with fries. It's served at lunch/dinner but is also bar fare.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:08 AM   #12
Head Chef

England often does chips and gravy - I have never tried them. Another chip shop classic here, again I have no personal experience, is chips with curry sauce.

I was assured by a Northern boyfirend that in his area of Liverpool a chip option was chips with...I kid you not...."pea wet"....ie the water the mushy peas had been prepared in.......yeuuuuhk. It sounds horrid!

Old 08-30-2006, 03:34 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
well, from what I have observed, shawarma(or of some similar spelling ) is quite similar to the hearty sandwiches called either kebob or gyro in some other parts of the world.
I personally prefer tzatziki on them, but the Dutch folks are very devoted into Indonesian cuisine, and I think the spicy red sauce is sambal.
But mmm, hummus, that sounds really good, too...

Yeah, I must admit mayonnaise on chips are delicious... but the chips by themselves are already sinful enough and I like them just with salt as well, I try not to do the combination very often...
Old 08-30-2006, 03:54 PM   #14
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsinger@atlanticbb.net
I've done alot of research on Shoarma(spelled that way in Amsterdam) and it varies from country to country, even neighborhood to neighborhood. In Amsterdam it comes in a pita shell with 3 sauces which seem nearly impossible to find. Maybe an Amsterdammer can help? Someone must know what i'm talking about!
I would ask one of the venders. the one I always went to was around the cornor from my flat. I was at the North end of the herengracht, the shop was right besides a FEBO bar...although there are hundreds of both.

I'll e-mail my buddies over there for ya if you would like, see if they can come up with anything.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:03 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsinger@atlanticbb.net
Anyone from Europe? I thought someone might be
familiar with Shoarma,Shawarma,etc. I visit the
Nederlands quite often and I've noticed that many
shoarma bars serve 3 sauces. One is a hot
sauce(red in color), another is an oil based sauce
with onions and something else(also red) And of
course the white sauce which I don't care for. is
anyone familiar with that? Does someone have a recipe for the red sauces? I'm extremely internet savvy and I can't find a trace of those recipes anywhere. Please help me, I need a shoarma fix.
jf, I've never had the red sauce (in California), always the yogurt/cucumber tzazaki sauce. Would love to make it at home and did some research on the web. Mostly, the schwarma is prepared on those big cones, although I have seen some home methods/recipes. Try the search with different spellings, i.e. schwarma, shwarma, and you may have more success. The commercial with John Travolta (McShwarma - a la Pulp Fiction), always cracked me up.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
the shop was right besides a FEBO bar...although there are hundreds of both.
Ewww, FEBO, horrors!! You would be doing much better munching on some of those stroop waffles...
Old 08-30-2006, 04:36 PM   #17
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
LOL! FEBO was remotly appitizing after a heavy night "of all thing Amsterdam". Still better then the Hering stands too.

Nothing beats the fries though..........mmmmm. Why can't I find those little forks here?
Old 08-30-2006, 04:42 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
LOL! FEBO was remotly appitizing after a heavy night "of all thing Amsterdam". Still better then the Hering stands too.

Nothing beats the fries though..........mmmmm. Why can't I find those little forks here?
Lol I also felt that establishment was made just for that purpose... I think only under "that condition" those things could possibly seem appealing!!

Yeah, their fries were okay though...
Old 08-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborwitch
It's loony to put mayo on fries??????? Geeze, now I'm certifiable! That's the only thing to put on fries.
Me, too, Sharon!

Well, Shwarma has nothing to do with Dutch cuisine! It's definitely middle eastern... Here in New York it's often offered with good old hot sauce as an option along with tahini and/or hummos. I get it at the same great place I go for Falafel... (we still need an emoticom for YUM! )
Old 08-30-2006, 05:07 PM   #20
The Dude Abides

In Holland there is a HUGE middle eastern population. There are falafal and shwarma stands everywhere. Also alot of turkish and west indi type places(I imagine because the Dutch colonized the west indies). Like NYC, there is a different restaurant for everynight of the year, for years on end. Of all the food I ate in holland, I loved Argentinian and nepeliese the most.

Tags
None