Souvlaki

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
found a great recipe for souvlaki. Only one major issue I have with it.
Ratio of oil and lemon juice is off to me; calls for twice as much olive oil as lemon juice. I've found in recipes that call for a large quantity of olive oil in comparison to the acidic element (vinegar, lemon juice, etc.) tend to be really oily in flavor and the olive oil ends up overpowering the flavor
of all the other components of the recipe/dish.

Is there anyway I can reduce the amount of olive oil in the marinade, or would this not make enough marinade, or ruin the flavor of the soulvaki?
Could I use a equal ratios of olive oil and liquid (essentially was thinking cutting the olive oil in half and using half oil and half chicken broth).

Below is the link. (if you have problems with it, let me know and I'll just post the recipe itself)

Kittencal's Greek Souvlaki (Grilled Skewered Lamb or Pork) Recipe | Recipezaar

I think that because the recipe includes a whole cup of red wine, the acidity will probably be fine. Just use a nice dry wine.

Ohhhhhhhh I love this! Been making it for decades (but I call it shish kebab).

Leg of lamb has been so expensive that I haven't made it in a couple of years. Enjoy, unique - I will live vicariously through you! :)

Lee

I really can't answer your question because I'm not sure. To my untrained eye there is a lot of acidity in that recipe for my taste. Here is an alternative that isn't too oily and tasted great. I use greek style yogurt, a little olive oil and lemon, well mashed garlic, salt, pepper and oregano. I just add those ingredients until it tastes good. It works great with chicken, lamb and pork. I marinate chicken overnight and lamb and pork up to three days. Souvlaki (or whatever I'm making with this recipe) is one of my favorite foods.
Rosco

Back
Top Bottom