Upon leaving the city of Bilbao, Vizcaya, on the Iberian Peninsula, we had made our way to the Harbour and coast that have brought recognition to the Bizkaia Fishermen.
Has anyone had Stuffed baby squid in their own ink ?
Here is a very simple way in which to prepare it ...
Recipe: Squid in their own ink Basque Style
This recipe originally was given to me, By Chef Lucía Santamaria Luchi of The Villa Lucia Wine Centre in Laguardia, Álava, The Basque Country.
24 small baby squid
3 small onions chopped very finely
2 small ripe red tomatoes
1 green bell pepper sliced very finely
2 sprigs fresh parsley chopped finely
Salt & freshly grinded black pepper
1 shot glass Brandy or White Wine
The Filling or Stuffing:
squid fins finely minced
1 clove of garlic
a bit of chopped parsely
salt and freshly ground pepper
*** Reserve the Ink Sack that shall be carefully removed
1. rinse the squids and their parts well
2. have fish monger remove the membranes inner and outer
3. slice fins off and mince
4. dissolve the ink sack in a glass of water
5. remove & discard the eyes and mouth of the squids
6. slice finely all the ingredients
7. sauté the minced vegetables and minced squid pieces in Evoo with salt and blk pepper ground until golden and the squid pieces tender, just a few minutes, and stir carefully
8. let all cool
9. be careful not to stuff too fully, and close the little squids stuffed with a toothpick
10. Now, in a casserole; with burner on simmer low, sauté garlic, tomato, bell pepper, and parsley in Evoo
11. turn up heat and sauté the stuffed squids until golden and tender
12. Add the dissolved Ink in the water and season, lower heat and simmer
13. when the squid are tender, but not overly soft, remove from vegetable and Ink mixture
14. press the mixture through a Food Mill or similiar and serve with Arborio white very short grain rice.
Serve with crusty warm bread and a white sparkling wine, or Basque White Sparkling wine called: Txakoli.
** In Spanish this variety of Squid is called Chipirones in other regions of Spain.
*** to post photo of this dish as soon as I prepare it once again.