"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Stuffed Squid In Their Ink Basque Style

Upon leaving the city of Bilbao, Vizcaya, on the Iberian Peninsula, we had made our way to the Harbour and coast that have brought recognition to the Bizkaia Fishermen.

Has anyone had Stuffed baby squid in their own ink ?

Here is a very simple way in which to prepare it ...

Recipe: Squid in their own ink Basque Style

This recipe originally was given to me, By Chef Lucía Santamaria Luchi of The Villa Lucia Wine Centre in Laguardia, Álava, The Basque Country.

24 small baby squid
3 small onions chopped very finely
2 small ripe red tomatoes
1 green bell pepper sliced very finely
2 sprigs fresh parsley chopped finely
Evoo
Salt & freshly grinded black pepper
1 shot glass Brandy or White Wine

The Filling or Stuffing:

squid fins finely minced
1 onion
1 clove of garlic
a bit of chopped parsely
salt and freshly ground pepper
Evoo

*** Reserve the Ink Sack that shall be carefully removed

1. rinse the squids and their parts well
2. have fish monger remove the membranes inner and outer
3. slice fins off and mince
4. dissolve the ink sack in a glass of water
5. remove & discard the eyes and mouth of the squids
6. slice finely all the ingredients
7. sauté the minced vegetables and minced squid pieces in Evoo with salt and blk pepper ground until golden and the squid pieces tender, just a few minutes, and stir carefully
8. let all cool
9. be careful not to stuff too fully, and close the little squids stuffed with a toothpick
10. Now, in a casserole; with burner on simmer low, sauté garlic, tomato, bell pepper, and parsley in Evoo
11. turn up heat and sauté the stuffed squids until golden and tender
12. Add the dissolved Ink in the water and season, lower heat and simmer
13. when the squid are tender, but not overly soft, remove from vegetable and Ink mixture
14. press the mixture through a Food Mill or similiar and serve with Arborio white very short grain rice.

Serve with crusty warm bread and a white sparkling wine, or Basque White Sparkling wine called: Txakoli.

** In Spanish this variety of Squid is called Chipirones in other regions of Spain.

Enjoy.
Margaux.

*** to post photo of this dish as soon as I prepare it once again.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Executive Chef

yes,i've cooked it too...here's a similar one i prepared earlier as they say....didn't use the ink as i'm not keen on it.....can be overly salty imo & something a bit "fishy" about it too i find
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STUFFED SQUID 001.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	15415   Click image for larger version

Name:	STUFFED SQUID 002.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	15416  

Name:	STUFFED SQUID 003.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	15417   Click image for larger version

Name:	STUFFED SQUID 004.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	15418  

Name:	STUFFED SQUID 005.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	15419   Click image for larger version

Name:	STUFFED SQUID 007.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	15420  

Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Executive Chef

H.C.

Thank you for your pictorial, contribution and feedback.

Regards.
M.C.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Executive Chef

looking good bro
Old 08-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

No idea where I would find fresh squid in my neighbourhood--ZZZZZ. Although, it looks tasty if you like that sort of thing and live where that is a normal food. I grew up where lutefisk and lefse were normal foods!<g>. Nothing personal, Margi, but I'm getting tired of having to skip over the threads you start using ingredients that are not available in North America. ZZZZZ Maybe you could offer recipes to folks via PM if interested?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Squid

Cws,

Squid is available on the coasts of North America. I had once posted a Mallorquin Squid recipe that Steve Kroll & B.Tom had prepared, amongst others. One needs an excellent Fish Monger ... When squid is in season, your Monger can advise you ... It is the least complicated ingredient from the ocean ! Use Frozen if you cannot find fresh.

It is same, as you mentioned Lukefish, which does not exist under the name lukefish anywhere on our side of the Ocean.

H.C. also selected a squid recipe with a different slant and it is in pictorial.

Thank you for your contribution.
Margi.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I live in the center of Canada. There is no coastal area here. But we do have access to maple syrup, wild blueberries, elderberries, and walleye.

The spelling is Lutefisk in Norwegian and Ludfisk in Swedish. It does exist and it is available in most grocery stores in MN.

Lutefisk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would have thought as a connoisseur of fish and seafood living in Europe, you would have encountered it at least once.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Fresh Cod & Dynamic Fresh Shrimp

Cws,

We live in the centre of the Iberian Peninsula ...

Iberian, Mediterranean, Adriatic, western African Canary Island waters and Atlantic waters ... and Portuguse and eastern France ... We have some of the finest fresh shellfish and fish ... We do not have a frozen fish culture here. Our Cod fish is one of the finest in the world. We have a very strong Cod fish culture as do the Portuguese. We also have gorgeous prawns, shrimp, crevettes and scampi ...

If there is Lutefisk, it is not common here in Italia or España. The culture of Mediterraneans is very " eat Mediterrnean " here ... These 2 countries are in deep crisis. It is a Scandinavian local product.

We have great blackberries and strawberries, rasberries / fragile and cranberries and blue berries.

Thanks for your link. I enjoy learning about other cultures and they gastronomy of foreign countries.

Have lovely evening.
Margaux.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
No idea where I would find fresh squid in my neighbourhood--ZZZZZ. Although, it looks tasty if you like that sort of thing and live where that is a normal food. I grew up where lutefisk and lefse were normal foods!<g>. Nothing personal, Margi, but I'm getting tired of having to skip over the threads you start using ingredients that are not available in North America. ZZZZZ Maybe you could offer recipes to folks via PM if interested?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Cws,

Squid is available on the coasts of North America. I had once posted a Mallorquin Squid recipe that Steve Kroll & B.Tom had prepared, amongst others. One needs an excellent Fish Monger ... When squid is in season, your Monger can advise you ... It is the least complicated ingredient from the ocean ! Use Frozen if you cannot find fresh.

It is same, as you mentioned Lukefish, which does not exist under the name lukefish anywhere on our side of the Ocean.

H.C. also selected a squid recipe with a different slant and it is in pictorial.

Thank you for your contribution.
Margi.
margi i have no idea what my response to your,sorry,that chefs recipe has got to do with cws's valid statement.my response was not only yes i have tried it but that i had ACTUALLY cooked & photographed the dish.i did this also to demonstrate that there is nothing difficult or particularly groundbreaking about the dish...most parts of the world have a version.
cw,we have talked about the difficulties you have with getting fresh fish/seafood & the cost.i use frozen squid all the time....it's just as good & probably "fresher" having been frozen at sea.
i think the problem is that the op has a limited knowledge of cuisines/ingredients other than those of the mediterranean hence your understandable feelings of frustration,boredom & monotony........
ps cw you'll be delighted to learn i'm practically living on jarlsberg/smoked ham sandwiches til me arms ok....carlsberg is helping it slip down!!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Cws & H.C. Squid availability in the USA

I have an old post, on Mallorquin Squid; in which Steve Kroll and Tom had prepared squid and contributed their views.

I had lived in Manhattan for 9 years, and had eaten squid 4 o5 5 times a week ( I eat very very limited amounts of red meat ).

An exemplary fish monger would solve the problem or frozen squid ...

Thank you for your contributions.

Margaux.

Tags
recipe

Stuffed Squid In Their Ink Basque Style Upon leaving the city of Bilbao, Vizcaya, on the Iberian Peninsula, we had made our way to the Harbour and coast that have brought recognition to the Bizkaia Fishermen. Has anyone had Stuffed baby squid in their own ink ? Here is a very simple way in which to prepare it ... Recipe: Squid in their own ink Basque Style This recipe originally was given to me, By Chef Lucía Santamaria Luchi of The Villa Lucia Wine Centre in Laguardia, Álava, The Basque Country. 24 small baby squid 3 small onions chopped very finely 2 small ripe red tomatoes 1 green bell pepper sliced very finely 2 sprigs fresh parsley chopped finely Evoo Salt & freshly grinded black pepper 1 shot glass Brandy or White Wine The Filling or Stuffing: squid fins finely minced 1 onion 1 clove of garlic a bit of chopped parsely salt and freshly ground pepper Evoo *** Reserve the Ink Sack that shall be carefully removed 1. rinse the squids and their parts well 2. have fish monger remove the membranes inner and outer 3. slice fins off and mince 4. dissolve the ink sack in a glass of water 5. remove & discard the eyes and mouth of the squids 6. slice finely all the ingredients 7. sauté the minced vegetables and minced squid pieces in Evoo with salt and blk pepper ground until golden and the squid pieces tender, just a few minutes, and stir carefully 8. let all cool 9. be careful not to stuff too fully, and close the little squids stuffed with a toothpick 10. Now, in a casserole; with burner on simmer low, sauté garlic, tomato, bell pepper, and parsley in Evoo 11. turn up heat and sauté the stuffed squids until golden and tender 12. Add the dissolved Ink in the water and season, lower heat and simmer 13. when the squid are tender, but not overly soft, remove from vegetable and Ink mixture 14. press the mixture through a Food Mill or similiar and serve with Arborio white very short grain rice. Serve with crusty warm bread and a white sparkling wine, or Basque White Sparkling wine called: Txakoli. ** In Spanish this variety of Squid is called Chipirones in other regions of Spain. Enjoy.:yum: Margaux. *** to post photo of this dish as soon as I prepare it once again. 3 stars 1 reviews