"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #31
Executive Chef

GLC that's a good point regarding thinness and flautas, and I agree. I think that applies to taquitos too. I've just recently posted a taquitos recipe in DC's ethnic food section, and when I cook that I like to use two partially overlapping them to get increased length. (Actually I'm not sure what the technical difference is between flautas and taquitos.) Anyway I used Mission yellow corn tortillas which the manufacturer claims are thinner than usual commercial tortillas. I may be putting too much into it but I've assumed their yellow corn tortillas are thinner than their ordinary corn tortillas. Anyway the Mission yellows worked well even when overlapping.

I'm a real chiles rellenos lover too! I like to make my own and I'm really pleased with how they come out, although they are often pretty messy in my kitchen. Maybe I'm skillful or maybe I'm lucky, or maybe chiles rellenos are just good when cooked at home from basic ingredients. I vary my recipe a lot which prevents me from posting my version(s).

ETA: Was just musing... Q: What do you call just one chili relleno? (A: Not enough!!!)

Old 02-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #32
Head Chef

As a connoisseur of cardboard taco shells, let me just say to avoid Ortega brand taco shells. Mission or Old El Paso or Taco Bell brands are ok.

I gotta learn how to slow cook a roast for proper tacos. Then fry up some fresh taco shells in oil.

I've been on a job where the housemaid would have the authentic taco meat already cooked, then fry the taco shells up at lunchtime for them. It looked and smelled sooooo good.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #33
Head Chef

I use a gas grill to prepare the meat for my Baja style tacos (beef, chicken or fish). Never, ever ground beef!

After grilling the meat I wrap it loosely in foil and place it on the warning rack of the grill.

I then lightly spray my white corn tortillas (choose the ones that are most pliable) on both sides with olive oil.

Next I cover the entire surface of the grill with foil and grill the tortillas until lightly browned being careful to keep them soft enough to wrap.

In bad weather I broil the meat in the oven and heat the tortillas on a griddle on the stove.

Edit:

Blue corn tortillas are my favorite in the enchiladas I enjoy at my fave Mex restaurant but I haven't seen them at the store.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...+tortillas+buy
Old 08-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #34
Sous Chef

You've opened up a can of worms. I live in south TX, so Mexican/Tex-Mex food is plentiful to say the least. You cannot just order a taco anywhere without hearing "What kind?" I have some very strict ideas about what constitutes what kind of taco:

Average tacos: Your basic beef, lettuce, tomato, cheese taco. IMO, they go in a hard taco shell only. However, IMO, they are boring and the antithesis of Mexican food. I just simply avoid them as much as I can. This is what most people envision as a "taco."

Breakfast tacos: Something you don't find much outside of south TX, but they generally include an egg (or two) scrambled with your choice of stuff. My favorite are fried potatoes and cheese (I've posted a recipe on here, it's basic). Bacon, refried beans, chorizo, barbacoa, chilaquiles, country sausage, and machacado are all HUGELY popular around here. You can also find non-egg breakfast tacos like bean and bacon. These require tortillas, most commonly flour but I prefer corn because it doesn't contain lard. These are by far my favorite types of tacos.

Puffy tacos: Tacos with a shell that's deep-fried on the spot and forms a puffy shape, as the name implies. Though also fried, they don't even slightly resemble your average taco shell. These come with a large variety of fillings, but I generally avoid them because they're invariably greasy. They're hugely popular here, though.

Other tacos: These include guacamole/avocado tacos, as well as street tacos like carnitas, lengua, carne guisada, tripas, etc. Almost always served in a corn tortilla, though you can request flour.

I excluded gorditas here, but they could be considered a taco as well.

Best way to prepare them? For tortillas, some people put them straight on the gas range, but I prefer a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat; just enough to puff the tortillas without burning them instantly. The tortillas should bubble up and brown unevenly, but never become crispy. Homemade corn tortillas usually only require one tortilla per taco, but store-bought corn are invariably served on double-stacked tortillas at restaurants/roach coaches
For crispy taco shells, a hot even works fine. I usually just hang them from the grates on the oven racks. However, like I said, I rarely use them since I don't like the "average tacos."

YMMV.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #35
Executive Chef

I had the best tacos at al little Mexican store the other day. Dad and daughter? Not a restaurant, though they did have 2 tables. I sat at one while they made 'em. The young woman cooked the soft corn shells to order, double Thin corn tortillas. The cook,older guy, chopped up some brisket/roast beef also to order with a cleaver. Very lean beef. Not much seasoning. Topped with onions and cheese and a little cilantro. That was all. On the side, radish slices (lots) and a whole lime sliced up. I had three to go. Lots of meat filling. A buck 25 each. The order came with the thinnest and tastiest smooth red chile sauce too. I want that sauce recipe !! Altogether They were really good !!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
The order came with the thinnest and tastiest smooth red chile sauce too. I want that sauce recipe !! Altogether They were really good !!
When it's thin and smooth, it's usually reconstituted dried chiles, onions, spices, etc. that get cooked in water, then blended into a puree.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Chi Chi's Mexican restaurant markets a corn and flour combo tortilla I like.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:57 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

For me, for ease, store bought harder variety
Old 08-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #39
Everymom

I usually make my own soft taco shells. I use a basic tortilla recipe and add some extra milk and egg and cornmeal. They are lovely.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

That is great that you make your own Alix, they sound nice

Tags
None