"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 10-25-2006, 04:16 PM   #31
Executive Chef
I still find it odd to think that I have to post Scots recipes as 'ethnic'.... It's my local cuisine, mixed with tastes from all over the UK.. but to foreigners, I know that would be unusual food. Mind you, many, many British dishes (like German and Italian and Irish and... (add your ethnic grouping in here!) have been subsumed into Australian, New Zealand, South African and even US cuisine.

As Lulu said. We are ALL ethnic peoples on here....

Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:46 PM   #32
Head Chef
Ishbel - I love my friends from Israel because they make all their favorite dishes and I really enjoy them.

I have a neighbor from Russia who is always cooking something for me. I am not exactly sure of the ingredients but Vera says that they are dishes that she learned to cook in Russia.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:31 PM   #33
Sushi / Japanese and lately Ahi Poke which is Hawaiian / Japanese.
Local favorites would be Thai & Vietnamese.
T-roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:55 PM   #34
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
forgot to mention Miss Sylvia's Fried chicken and waffle. it is like heaven on a plate. savory "Belgium" waffle, a pile of greens, and a mound of fried buttermilk chicken...add a glass of iced tea, I am in P-I-G- Heaven!
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:51 AM   #35
Sous Chef
Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
GREEK: Spanokopita
CHINESE: MeiFun, Steamed Dumplings, ok, just about anything Chinese :-)
FILIPINO: Chicken Adobo, Pancit Canton, Tosino, Paksiw na Pata
MEXICAN: Empanadas
ITALIAN: Just about anything

I've probably forgotten something, but what the heck, I like food, so it's hard to list. LOL
Gossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:00 PM   #36
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I have a hard time thinking of certain foods as ethnic as well. For example, when someone mentions French food I don't think of that as ethnic, but I think of lots of butter and cream, really rich food, prepared with some intricate techniques. When someone mentions Italian food I think about pasta. I suppose its because certain ethnic foods have become so ingrained into American food culture that it doesn't really seem so much ethnic as it does "normal".

As for the ethnic foods I do enjoy, I would have to say that Mexican and Asian top my list, in that order. I really love the strong flavors that you can encounter in Mexican cuisine, whether it be through fresh fruits and vegetables or the robustness of spices. And there's just something heavenly about biting into some expertly prepared quesadillea or fajitas, carnitas, the list goes on!
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:57 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Thumbs up Grandma Grillo's Baked Lasagna

I plowed through my lasagna notes sooner than I'd anticipated. It's a good thing I finally have this clearly written. My children will appreciate it. Especially my sons. They love this lasagna.

So here it is, boufa06.

(Serves 12)
1 lb. sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
1 clove garlic, minced
3 Tbsp. parsley flakes, divided, or appropriate amount of fresh parsley
1 Tbsp. dried basil or appropriate amount of fresh basil
3½ tsp. salt, divided
1 (28-oz.) can plum tomatoes
2 (6-oz.) cans tomato paste
10 oz. lasagna noodles
3 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
2 eggs, beaten
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 lb. mozzarella cheese slices

Open tomatoes and pour, with juice, into a large bowl and mash with a potato masher until the tomatoes are uniformly chunky.

In a large skillet or sauté pan, cook sausage until browned and crumbly. Drain all fat. (At this point I put the sausage into the food processor fitted with the metal blade and chop it evenly.) Return the sausage to the pan. Add garlic, 1 tablespoon parsley flakes, basil, 1½ teaspoons salt, tomatoes and juice, and tomato paste. Stir to combine.

Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.

While sauce is simmering, prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions. Rinse with cold water and place noodles on a clean dishtowel and pat dry. Cover with a towel until ready to use.

In a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese, eggs, 2 teaspoons salt, pepper, 2 tablespoons parsley flakes, and Parmesan cheese. Mix to blend all completely.

To assemble lasagna, lightly grease or spray lightly with vegetable spray a deep 9- x 13-inch baking dish or lasagna pan. Place a layer of noodles on the bottom of pan. Spread ½ of the ricotta cheese mixture over noodles, next cover with mozzarella cheese slices, followed by half the tomato sauce mixture.

Repeat layers. Cover tightly with foil and bake in preheated 375º oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and arrange triangles of mozzarella cheese on top. Recover with foil and let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving. The standing time allows the lasagna to set up slightly, which will make it easy to cut into squares.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:24 PM   #38
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
yum! Thanks, Katie!!!!
French food I don't think of that as ethnic, but I think of lots of butter and cream, really rich food, prepared with some intricate techniques.
Interestingly, that is only food from a very small region of France -- Normandy -- OR really bad, touristy food! French food is not really about "intricate" techniques, but very specific ones, which translates to the casual American style as "intricate." Good French food is almost as simple as good Italian food.... and it is also about fresh, local ingredients.

We've learned a lot about regional Italian food over the past 10 or so years, but for some reason, Americans aren't really interested in the regional food of France, until about 10 years ago when Provence became "hot." Go firgure!
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:00 PM   #39
Head Chef
When I think of the food of the region in the south of france that was our summer home for many years I think of simply beautiful meals. Simple being the operative word. My mother and my sister and her kids left for there today, and on sunday they will go to my favourite restaurant where I know what they will eat, its a no choice menu that changes seasonally but the same things are served this autumn as were searved ten years ago. Among the seven courses of simply prepared food will be a mushroom tart, a crisp green salad, and perfectly roasted duck. Not fancy or intricate but perfection!

I think that patisserie and restaurans in Paris are fussier, just as are many in London, Milan and many major cities where good food vies with fashion to retain custom.

Butter, cream, and rich food have their place, but I am grateful for that!
In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:02 PM   #40
Executive Chef
And some of the local cuisine of various areas of France is amazing.... not just the provencal stuff... what about Languedoc or Alsace (bit heavy for my tastes!) or....... the choices are endless!

Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote