Blue cheese substitute?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

budron

Assistant Cook
Making a pork loin with cranberries and blue cheese is listed in the ingredients. What other cheeses can I substitute for blue since it's not one of my favorites? Thanks and hope everyone had a great holiday.

There really is no substitution for blue cheese. You could possibly leave it out altogether, but subbing another cheese probably would not work. To give us a better idea though, post the recipe and we will be better suited to give you some suggestions.

It depends where you are and whats available to you.

I'm in England and I would use a Lancashire or Cheshire, as they are quite crumbly and fairly strong without being as an acquired taste as blue.

Hello and welcome to DC. I am afraid that there is no subsitute for Blue Cheese. Why not make something else that doesn't have Blue Cheese in it.

Have a great New Year.

Bleu cheese is a little hard to handle in some instances (like snacking) ... but it really mellows and blends to add a new flavor profile in some recipes when it is cooked - adding just that little "something" to make a dish special.

I don't necessarily like cilantro on it's own or when over used - but there are dishes that use it that don't taste right without it when the flavors all meld together.

I agree - there is no real substitute .... but if you're not willing to give the recipe a try with it ... the best would be a good strong Feta.

I have finally become a fan of blue cheese. It took a while and although as a stand alone it's not my favorite cheese, when put into dishes it's great. I look at it like salt. You wouldn't sit down and eat a pound of salt by it's self, but is sure is good when you add it to things.

JDP

GB said:
Those are both types of bleu cheese.

Of course they are, but each has it's own specifc taste, which is completely different from American made blue cheeses, or fromage bleu.

GB said:
The OP is looking for a substitute for bleu though as it is not one of his favorites.

No, the OP is looking for a substitute for BLUE cheese, and gorganzola is much milder than BLUE cheese, and Stiltson is much sharper than BLUE cheese, while still maintaining the same consistancy, crumbling, and melting factors as BLUE cheese.

I am not sure what you are trying to say Caine. Stilton and Gorgonzola are both blue cheeses, as you agreed to above, but then here you sound like you are saying they are not blue cheeses so I am kind of confused to your point.

Blue cheese substitute?
Making a pork loin with cranberries and blue cheese is listed in the ingredients. What other cheeses can I substitute for blue since it's not one of my favorites? Thanks and hope everyone had a great holiday.
Caine, the OP is asking for a substitute for blue cheese and not just a different type of blue cheese.

I agree with the others Caine. If a recipe called for Pepsi and someone asked for another soda substitute Coke probably wouldn't be the answer because it's still a cola. Gorgonzola, Roquefort, Stiltson and Blue or Bleu are all members of a simialr family with similar flavors even though each have their own unique qualities.

IMHO I would still recommend the Blue cheese but reduce the amount. Blue as an ingredient is completely different than cutting off a chunk just out of the refridgerator and eating it. Then if they wanted the mildest blue then go with the Gorganzola.

JDP

Back
Top Bottom