"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 03-27-2005, 06:26 PM   #1
Head Chef
Cheese & Crackers - Your Personal Favorites?

Hey guys! I love a good thin sliced deli meat / cheese / cracker combo. I have to ask, what are some great ones? I don't know all the different types of cheeses, and at my grocery, there is a whole cooler thing with all these imported cheeses that im not familiar with. Also, what are some great crackers for this? I'm using Triscuit Originals or Saltines..

This is what im snacking on currently....

thin sliced boars head hard salami

boars head shaved turkey breast salsalito

aged white cheddar

muenster cheese

So, let's hear it. What are the best cheeses for crackers?

Mylegsbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
Master Chef
I like smoked Gouda. I like it's creamy smoky flavor. My other favorite cheeses for putting on crackers are from the Sonoma Cheese Factory. The cheeses I like the most are the Garlic Jack and Hot Pepper Jack.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:38 PM   #3
Head Chef
Oh forgot to say, but i found one of those random cheeses in the grocery, and tried it out because it sounded good. It was german, called Butterkase cheese, and was really great on crackers.
Mylegsbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:32 AM   #4
Head Chef
Room tempature brie on plain old water crackers would have to be my absolute favorite.

Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:55 AM   #5
Master Chef
It totally depends on the meat and the cheese. If it's a really buttery cheese and a salty meat, then I'm like Zereh and plain old water crackers are just fine for me. Otherwise, Ritz, or Keebler "Club" because they are buttery flavored. Sometimes, plain old saltines - for peanut butter.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:29 AM   #6
Executive Chef
I love cheeses - and could make a meal from cheese and biscuits: brie and camembert and port salut, as well as Wensleydale, Lancashire and Caerphilly (all white, crumbly cheeses). Derbyshire, Sage Derbyshire, Danish Blue, Devon Blue and Shropshire Blue as well as good old Stilton! Stinking Bishop and Isle of Mull Cheddar are also great. Oh and Davidstow Cheddar which is one of the few cheeses that really DOES come from the Cheddar Gorge area of England!

The UK has so many wonderful cheeses, we are very lucky. I know that many of them are available on the net nowadays.

I usually serve my home made oatcakes, together with a selection of English-style biscuits for cheese, especially the bran ones and digestives.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:46 AM   #7
Head Chef
I don't like plain crackers. I like the ones with sesame seeds and dill seeds. As an FYI for those who have SAMS membership, they have the best assortment of crackers that can be served with a cheese and meat tray.

For cheeses I sometimes try and stir up a cheese spread using cream cheese and a little sour cream with roasted garlic and herbs I desire. In addition I like Gouda, Smoked Cheddar, Swiss, Pepperjack, Montrey Jack, Camambert and Brie.

For meats I don't eat pork but I like smoked chicken, turkey or honey roasted turkey and also hearty slices of roast beef. I sometimes try and make little meatballs and chicken kabobs and serve them on toothpicks to make the platter more interesting.
Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:53 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
irish cheddar on wheatsworth stoned ground wheat crackers, with chopped raw onion, and a dollop of spicy brown mustard.

baked brie in a crust of almonds, with raspberry sauce, and table water crackers.

jarlsberg swiss, with very thin slices of chorizo, on wasa crispbreads. (talk about an international mix)

oh, i forgot gouda, with thin slices of pears and apples, on garlic rubbed crostini.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:55 AM   #9
I'm heavily into both Stoned Wheat thins and regular Wheat thins. The Stoned Wheat thins work really well for roasted garlic and brie. I could eat cheese and crackers all day. Mmmm. I like to add some green apple to the tray too, especially with old cheddar.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:59 AM   #10
Executive Chef
Ritz crackers with cream cheese and red pepper jelly.

Raine is offline   Reply With Quote