"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 07-18-2008, 12:09 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by stassie View Post
Now that's something I haven't heard before! I've had double-yolkers from time to time, but never noticed a difference in taste - but that could because I simply wasn't paying attention . Do you know why this is?
I have never noticed any difference in the taste either but I suppose if you’re not terribly fond of the yolks I can see how two in one egg would put you off.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #32
Sous Chef

The yolks of double yolked eggs are tasteless compared to the yolks of normal eggs.

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyR View Post
I have never noticed any difference in the taste either but I suppose if you’re not terribly fond of the yolks I can see how two in one egg would put you off.
I love the double yolkers and have never found taste lacking. Bring 'em on!!!
Old 07-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Speaking of double yolkers, 1 turned up in my cookery class the other day - shame we were using egg to bind meatballs.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Double Yolk Free Range chickens

We purchase large eggs from our neighbors who let their chickens roam in their fenced yard.

Several times we had souble yolk. Prefer single.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:33 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
I love the double yolkers and have never found taste lacking. Bring 'em on!!!
I've always been very fond of them as well...twice the yolk to dip your toast in.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #37
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
I see double yolk eggs more often when I buy jumbo eggs than any other size. Usually, it's an 'exciting surprise' but you don't actually get all that much more yolk. It looks the same to me, just split in two. I liken it to the fact that twins are usually smaller in one pregnant woman than one baby would be. Consider there's only so much room in that egg shell....

If you buy jumbo eggs consistently, I bet you'd find one, sooner or later.
^^
This.

The first time I ever got one, it just kinda weirded me out so I threw it in the sink. The next two I cracked were double yolks. I gave up on disliking them after that =P
Old 07-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #38
Head Chef

I buy only Jumbo eggs but I buy two different kinds. I buy farmed eggs that are brown for eating fried, scrambled or poached because the yolks are very deep yellow and intensely flavored. I also buy jumbos from the supermarket for hard boiling and for adding the extra white to my fried or scrambled egg. The last 3 cartons of eggs I bought from the supermarket were ALL double yolks. Every single egg was a double. I haven't seen this happen since I was a kid.

Tags
None