"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 03-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Egg salad

Hey everyone...

I "volunteered" to make 30 egg salad sandwiches for a church function. How many eggs should I boil? I've never made a batch of egg salad before - just used whatever was left over from deviled eggs.

So, how many eggs?

Thanks.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Well large eggs weight about 2 ounces; they are a little dense to think of them literally as volume=weight, but not too bad. I usually think of 3 ounces of filling for a white bread sandwich, so I would plan on about an egg and a half per sandwich - 45, which I would round up to 4 dozen even. If eggs were particularly expensive, I might make a test batch of half the amount just to be sure my guesstimate of the result is right, but they aren't, so I wouldn't LOL. YMMV.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Looks like 1 1/2 - 2 eggs per sandwich. So, 45-60 eggs.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraC View Post
Well large eggs weight about 2 ounces; they are a little dense to think of them literally as volume=weight, but not too bad. I usually think of 3 ounces of filling for a white bread sandwich, so I would plan on about an egg and a half per sandwich - 45, which I would round up to 4 dozen even. If eggs were particularly expensive, I might make a test batch of half the amount just to be sure my guesstimate of the result is right, but they aren't, so I wouldn't LOL. YMMV.
Is that 3 ounces of the protein part of the filling? When I make egg salad it's usually about half egg and half mayo, green onions, and celery.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Depends on how far you want to "stretch" the eggs with filler. 1-1/2 to 2 large eggs (as has been mentioned) should do you right and avoid being called stingy.

Craig
Old 03-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

If I was responsible for making a set amount of sandwiches, I would cook myself three hard boiled eggs, add my ingredients and see just how many sandwiches I could make from a certain amount of eggs. That will let me know exactly how much other stuff (celery, onion, mayo, mustard...) I need to, since I never really pay attention.
Going from memory, I'm thinking that when I do this for lunch I get maybe two sandwiches out of three eggs, but the eggs I use are probably considered large and because they are fresh, they don't always peel well.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I guess it does get into how you make your egg salad sandwiches, LOL. I like just enough "goo" to hold the egg together as a finely chopped, near paste - and I think mustard is a lovely part of the goo, along with some Tabasco. I like the "veggies" separate, so I put a leaf of lettuce, a bit of fresh pickled onion, and, if I am in a good mood, a couple of slices of bacon on the sandwiches.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
Master Chef

I say pacanis is right. You have to make a practice run. The way I see it you do not need more than 2 dosen eggs, but you have to make it to decide. Not only what you put in it will make a difference, but also how you would chop the eggs. I prefer t use the big holes of the box grader. And not to squash the eggs, so they will be pretty light and airy. i do not like anything in my egg salad but mayo and even then I do not use a lot. Some salt and pepper - done.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
Master Chef

I'm one of those who would rather have too much, than not enough. Large eggs from the grocery these days are sure not as big as they were when I was a kid. Now those large eggs of the past are called Jumbo's. For 30 generous sandwiches made with regular size bread, I'd cook 5 dozen eggs. I hope you have some time, because hard cooked eggs are much easier to peel if they are not real fresh....two weeks old should do it. It works nicely to use my potato masher with the square holes to make short work of chopping the peeled eggs, just place each egg on a plate, and smash. Ingredients I like in mine are: finely chopped green onion, & celery, some sweet pickle relish, a little dried dill, white pepper,
salt and mayo. If you happen to have leftovers, egg salad is great on toast for a quick breakfast for several days.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Thanks for all of y'alls input...none of my friends had a clue...the event I am making these for is an "old-fashioned tea" and I will be cutting the sandwiches into 4 small squares, so i don't really want to go very heavy on the egg salad - they should be "dainty". I like mayo, a squirt of mustard and a bit of pickle relish along with salt & pepper. If anyone wants to dig out their white gloves, spring hats and tea cups, come on over to my church and join in the fun on April 9!

Tags
egg, salad