Fondue dipping ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Tomorrow I thought I'd whip up a cheese fondue for dinner. To tell the truth, I'm a little bored with the usual apple or bread cube accompaniments. I thought chicken sausage chunks or blanched veggies might be good. I'm looking for other ideas, though.

What would you guys suggest?

Hey Steve, I've never made a fondue in my entire life. I've only eaten it one time as a guest at somone else's home. It was ok, but nothing I've ever bothered to duplicate.

What exactly is the setup for a Fondue? Hot oil for cooking meat, and melted cheese for dipping are the only two I remember from my one-time experience.

Broccoli and cauliflower? Mushrooms, artichoke hearts, maybe marinated. Those little pickled peppers. Pearl onions. Pretzels. Pepperoni chunks.

I've never tried any of these, but thought they sounded interesting.

Last edited:
What exactly is the setup for a Fondue? Hot oil for cooking meat, and melted cheese for dipping are the only two I remember from my one-time experience.
Timothy, the cheese fondue I make is more of a beer & cheddar sauce, rather than the traditional Swiss fondue with wine and white cheese (usually some combination of Emmenthaler, Gruyere, and Fontina). Think beer cheese soup, except thicker. Probably my Wisconsin roots at work, but I love it.

We've also had chocolate dessert fondue, which is basically just a ganache that's kept warm. Try this sometime with angel food cake, strawberries, or pretzels.

We probably have the hot oil fondue more than anything. It was always our daughter's favorite when she was a kid. For that one, we dip chunks of steak, or sometimes shrimp.

Broccoli and cauliflower? Mushrooms, artichoke hearts, maybe marinated. Those little pickled peppers. Pearl onions. Pretzels. Pepperoni chunks.

All good. As far as veggies, I was thinking Brussel sprouts or broccoli myself. I hadn't thought of pearl onions and mushrooms, but those sound good, too.

Last edited:
Small boiled redskin potatoes.

Steve,
Google Raclette, it is similar but some of the items they serve are different.

Gherkins
Olives
Ham chunks

Last edited:
We love cheddar, swiss and beer fondue. Dip bread cubes and veggies. Thats the only fondue I have ever had.

Timothy, the cheese fondue I make is more of a beer & cheddar sauce, rather than the traditional Swiss fondue with wine and white cheese (usually some combination of Emmenthaler, Gruyere, and Fontina). Think beer cheese soup, except thicker. Probably my Wisconsin roots at work, but I love it.

We've also had chocolate dessert fondue, which is basically just a ganache that's kept warm. Try this sometime with angel food cake, strawberries, or pretzels.

We probably have the hot oil fondue more than anything. It was always our daughter's favorite when she was a kid. For that one, we dip chunks of steak, or sometimes shrimp.

Thanks Steve, it sounds good to me. Except for the beer and cheese one. I don't care for beer very much.

Years ago, I drank my share of beer and then some, but I lost my taste for it.

I might have to pick up one of those fondue sets.

I might have to pick up one of those fondue sets.
I just assumed that everyone had one of these sitting on a dusty shelf in the back of the closet. They aren't quite as popular these days, but back when I got married (the first time), I seem to recall receiving 3 or 4 fondue sets as gifts. :)

We have one languishing in the basement, may have to bring it out! Tim, you might want to cruise second hand stores to pick up a used one.

We have one languishing in the basement, may have to bring it out! Tim, you might want to cruise second hand stores to pick up a used one.
Thanks Dawgluver! I quit doing that. It costs $10 in gas by the time I find something that costs $20 new. The thrift stores are 5 miles apart here in St. Augustine. I'll just find one I like and buy it.

Suggestions on a Brand/Model???? Anyone???

Steve, check out The Melting Pot restaurant for their menu.
It's lovely really. Their three course meal is a cheese fondue, then a salad, then a broth or oil fondue for all kinds of meats and poultry.
I've never bought into the broth fondues. (to me, it's more like a Mongolian hot pot)

I liked the oil fondue, they offered quite a number of meats (duck, chicken, beef steak) and vegetables (with a tempura batter) and dipping sauces (horseradish mayo, marinara, mustard sauce w or w/o honey whole grain or finely ground, butter milk/ ranch).
I was given a Cuisinart electric fondue pot--it keeps a steady temperature so nicely! As compared to my sterno heated 1960's era fondue pot.
If you had two fondue pots, you can do a small cheese fondue, salads, then the oil fondue with the tempura choice or just fried, many types of meats and vegetables and all the dipping sauces you like.

Added: Don't forget the tradition. If you lose your item in the pot, you have to kiss the cook! Seriously 1960's.

Last edited:

Ooh, I love the pretzel idea!

My mother had the tradition--if you lose your item you kiss the cook.
Other traditions are: that if a man loses his bread in the pot, he buys drinks all around, and if a woman does, she must kiss her neighbors (at the table I suppose).

Kissing yourself? If you put the toasted french bread cube on the fork, first through the bread and lastly through the crust, you will never lose the bread.

Marinated mushrooms are great in fondue as are pickled veggies. Consider some fresh pear chunks instead of apples.

Now for the weird suggestions..

falafel (get the pre made ones at costco)
crispy cooked tatertots (yes, I said that)
crispy fried tofu cubes (have to be better with cheese)
Sugar snap Pea /pods

Janet H said:
Marinated mushrooms are great in fondue as are pickled veggies. Consider some fresh pear chunks instead of apples.

Now for the weird suggestions..

falafel (get the pre made ones at costco)
crispy cooked tatertots (yes, I said that)
crispy fried tofu cubes (have to be better with cheese)
Sugar snap Pea /pods

So what's weird about those suggestions? They sound great! Love the Tots!

OK, getting out the basement relic....

Tomorrow I thought I'd whip up a cheese fondue for dinner. To tell the truth, I'm a little bored with the usual apple or bread cube accompaniments. I thought chicken sausage chunks or blanched veggies might be good. I'm looking for other ideas, though.

What would you guys suggest?
Well, I'm not 'one of the guys'.......but, what have you decided? Will we get pictures? :yum: wishing you and yours a happy fondue dinner!

Back
Top Bottom