"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Both in Italy and Spain
Posts: 3,425
Have you ever made: Homemade ricotta?

13.30 Hours.

Good Afternoon, Buonsera,

One of the simplest pleasures, is to have home made Ricotta ... Here is the family recipe ...

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups Organic whole milk ( by choice, you can use regular whole milk)
1/2 cup organic heavy cream
Zest of 2 lemons and the juice
1/4 teaspoon Coarse or Kosher Salt
1/4 teaspoon Sugar

1. Creating Ricotta is a 2 day process, however, the final results are that you shall have a Creamier and thicker than shop bought Ricotta, which can be pasty and runny outside of Italia.

2. Ricotta is often made with Vinegar, however, I use hand squeezed Lemon juice which provides a refreshing citrus flavor and lovely aromas.

DIRECTIONS ...

a) in a small sauce pan, heat the milk, and heavy cream to 180 degrees.
b) remove from the heat and add: lemon juice, zest, salt and sugar.
c) pour mixture into a cheese cloth lined strainer and strain OVERNIGHT
d) press out any remaining liquid and the Ricotta is Ready to use !

It is lovely in Baked Pastas ... or on its own with a sprinkle of herbs and Focaccia warm out of oven ... or with fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey ...

Kind regards.
Happy Holidays.
Margi Cintrano.

__________________

__________________
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Raw milk is more difficult to come by in many areas of the US than it used to be in some areas in Europe. At what temperature should the the overnight draining be done?
__________________

__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Both in Italy and Spain
Posts: 3,425
@ Bill: I would turn off radiators in kitchen

Good Afternoon Bill,

I would turn off the kitchen radiators for this ...

Or, leave window open, and keep heat on low ...

The cooking end, 180 - 190 for the milk ... whole milk in USA is fine ...

Let me know how it goes ... it is very simple ...

www.smittenkitchen.com

I have not used the exact recipe, However, it is standard know how here in Gargano Peninsula, Puglia ... My friends in Basilicata make it and so did my Grandmom, Margherite.

Happy Holidays.
Margi.








ORIGINAL POST ...

Good Afternoon, Buonsera,

One of the simplest pleasures, is to have home made Ricotta ... Here is the family recipe ...

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups Organic whole milk ( by choice, you can use regular whole milk)
1/2 cup organic heavy cream
Zest of 2 lemons and the juice
1/4 teaspoon Coarse or Kosher Salt
1/4 teaspoon Sugar

1. Creating Ricotta is a 2 day process, however, the final results are that you shall have a Creamier and thicker than shop bought Ricotta, which can be pasty and runny outside of Italia.

2. Ricotta is often made with Vinegar, however, I use hand squeezed Lemon juice which provides a refreshing citrus flavor and lovely aromas.

DIRECTIONS ...

a) in a small sauce pan, heat the milk, and heavy cream to 180 degrees.
b) remove from the heat and add: lemon juice, zest, salt and sugar.
c) pour mixture into a cheese cloth lined strainer and strain OVERNIGHT
d) press out any remaining liquid and the Ricotta is Ready to use !

It is lovely in Baked Pastas ... or on its own with a sprinkle of herbs and Focaccia warm out of oven ... or with fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey ...

Kind regards.
Happy Holidays.
Margi Cintrano. [/QUOTE]
__________________
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Good Afternoon Bill,

I would turn off the kitchen radiators for this ...

Or, leave window open, and keep heat on low ...

The cooking end, 180 - 190 for the milk ... whole milk in USA is fine ...

Let me know how it goes ... it is very simple ...

www.smittenkitchen.com

I have not used the exact recipe, However, it is standard know how here in Gargano Peninsula, Puglia ... My friends in Basilicata make it and so did my Grandmom, Margherite.

Happy Holidays.
Margi.








ORIGINAL POST ...

Good Afternoon, Buonsera,

One of the simplest pleasures, is to have home made Ricotta ... Here is the family recipe ...

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups Organic whole milk ( by choice, you can use regular whole milk)
1/2 cup organic heavy cream
Zest of 2 lemons and the juice
1/4 teaspoon Coarse or Kosher Salt
1/4 teaspoon Sugar

1. Creating Ricotta is a 2 day process, however, the final results are that you shall have a Creamier and thicker than shop bought Ricotta, which can be pasty and runny outside of Italia.

2. Ricotta is often made with Vinegar, however, I use hand squeezed Lemon juice which provides a refreshing citrus flavor and lovely aromas.

DIRECTIONS ...

a) in a small sauce pan, heat the milk, and heavy cream to 180 degrees.
b) remove from the heat and add: lemon juice, zest, salt and sugar.
c) pour mixture into a cheese cloth lined strainer and strain OVERNIGHT
d) press out any remaining liquid and the Ricotta is Ready to use !

It is lovely in Baked Pastas ... or on its own with a sprinkle of herbs and Focaccia warm out of oven ... or with fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey ...

Kind regards.
Happy Holidays.
Margi Cintrano.
[/QUOTE]
Interesting website. Looks like an interesting alternative to the heavy cream you add to your basil pesto and to the cream cheese I add to mine.
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,879
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I thought ricotta was made from the whey left from making mozzarella or sometimes other cheese.

Ricotta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,411
I've made fresh cheeses a few times, including ricotta and Indian paneer. One thing to note about organic whole milk in the US is that, unless you are getting it directly from a farm, it's almost always "ultra pasteurized" for long shelf life, and doesn't work well for most cheese making without the addition of something like calcium chloride. The curds don't set up properly. However, it should be fine for something like ricotta. I'll admit that I haven't tried it, though.

Quote:
I thought ricotta was made from the whey left from making mozzarella or sometimes other cheese.
This is true. Margi's recipe produces a product that's similar to cottage cheese, rather than the ricotta we see in grocery stores. But it's what many Italians make and use in their own recipes.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Both in Italy and Spain
Posts: 3,425
@ Claire: Margaux´s Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
13.30 Hours.

Good Afternoon, Buonsera,

One of the simplest pleasures, is to have home made Ricotta ... Here is the family recipe ...

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups Organic whole milk ( by choice, you can use regular whole milk)
1/2 cup organic heavy cream
Zest of 2 lemons and the juice
1/4 teaspoon Coarse or Kosher Salt
1/4 teaspoon Sugar

1. Creating Ricotta is a 2 day process, however, the final results are that you shall have a Creamier and thicker than shop bought Ricotta, which can be pasty and runny outside of Italia.

2. Ricotta is often made with Vinegar, however, I use hand squeezed Lemon juice which provides a refreshing citrus flavor and lovely aromas.

DIRECTIONS ...

a) in a small sauce pan, heat the milk, and heavy cream to 180 degrees.
b) remove from the heat and add: lemon juice, zest, salt and sugar.
c) pour mixture into a cheese cloth lined strainer and strain OVERNIGHT
d) press out any remaining liquid and the Ricotta is Ready to use !

It is lovely in Baked Pastas ... or on its own with a sprinkle of herbs and Focaccia warm out of oven ... or with fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey ...

Kind regards.
Happy Holidays.
Margi Cintrano.
@ Claire,

Good afternoon.

The recipe works as is, however, if people wish to contact dairies who can sell whey, then, this is another method of making same ...

My friends in Basilicata and I have made this Ricotta many times, and believe me, it is better than any Brand purchase-able ...

Thanks for feedback.
Happy Holidays.
Margi.
__________________
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Both in Italy and Spain
Posts: 3,425
@ Steve,

Perhaps, we need to clarify, organic ... Here is E.U. we do not graze our animals on " in-substainable " terroirs ...

I am fully aware about this issue in the USA ... I have very profound heart felt memories of the USA, however, I do know that there are un-kooth issues regarding hormones and insubstainability factors, for example in Maui, Hawaii ...

However, regular whole milk and regular heavy cream are just fine to use for Ricotta as you mentioned ... I use regular cream and regular milk in Italia.

In Spain, I rarely make home made ricotta ... perhaps during holidays, Christmas that is for the family lasagne --- or in Switzerland when I am visiting my younger dtr.

Kind regards.
Happy Holidays.
Margi.
__________________
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,879
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm about to make some quark. I wonder if the whey from making quark would work. Hmmm.

I'll give it a try. I have no other use for the whey and I hate throwing it away.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
@ Steve,

Perhaps, we need to clarify, organic ... Here is E.U. we do not graze our animals on " in-substainable " terroirs ...
Hi Margi,

"Organic" in the US is defined as "foods that are produced using methods that do not involve modern synthetic inputs such as synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers, do not contain genetically modified organisms, and are not processed using irradiation, industrial solvents, or chemical food additives."

What you describe sounds like what we would refer to here as "pastured milk". In other words, the cow from which the milk came has only eaten grass. It may or may not be organic. It may or may not be raw.

Pasteurization refers to the heating method used to retard bacterial growth and improve shelf life. Pasteurized milk is heated to 165 F for 15-30 seconds. It has a shelf life of 2-3 weeks.

Ultra-pasteurized milk is heated to 280 F for at least a second. UP milk has a shelf life of 2 or more MONTHS. It doesn't require refrigeration until after it's been opened. The heating process also breaks down some of the proteins, and this is why it isn't suitable for most cheese making.

Unfortunately, most organic milk in the US is ultra-pasteurized. Organic milk tends to not sell as quickly, so grocers prefer the products with longer shelf life. I wish this were not the case.

Definitions aside, I would agree that the best milk for making any kind of cheese is raw, fresh, farm milk. If you can get it, that is. In many places here it's illegal to sell it. The second best choice would be pasteurized store milk. And while I use many organic products, I don't feel that organic milk is a good choice for making cheese unless you know that it's not been ultra-pasteurized. It will say this on the label.
__________________

__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
homemade

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.