"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 05-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoymatey2013 View Post
I tried making yogurt one time. I made it from a recipe I found from the internet, using a crockpot. It came out so disgustingly bitter that I tossed it out.

I like Greek yogurt & I would love too learn how to make it. I found a few recipes I may try out & it also gave my the idea of using jams for flavoring.

That means you had a bad milk, or you did something else to ruin it. I do the same thing all the time. ! gallon of milk heated, 2 cups of yogurt. Works like a clock, taste yum.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
That means you had a bad milk, or you did something else to ruin it. I do the same thing all the time. ! gallon of milk heated, 2 cups of yogurt. Works like a clock, taste yum.
But I went to the store for the milk right before making it since I used whole. Oh well, I'll have to try it again sometime

Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoymatey2013 View Post

But I went to the store for the milk right before making it since I used whole. Oh well, I'll have to try it again sometime
What did you use to heat up the milk? It is possible that it was not clean?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I used the crockpot. Maybe I'll try a different brand of milk next time, like organic milk
Old 05-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #15
Master Chef

I'd try different yougurt first. Try to find one with live bacteria, or whatever it is called.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I checked for that. I'll look for a name brand yogurt like Dannon though.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I prepare yogurt every night for next day. I just smear some yogurt in a glass bowl and add lukewarm then cover with a perforated plate. I leave it on kitchen counter for overnight and the yogurt is ready.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #18
Master Chef

I think the main problem is that pasturised milk isn't the best thing for yogurt making. It is made specifically not to go "bad", becasue what is yogurt? It is roughly speaking milk gone "bad".
Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Unpasteurized milk is illegal in Canada. So all the the yogurt I've done was with pasteurized (not UHT!!) organic milk. The milk does not need to be organic, though. It could be filtered (homogenized) or unfiltered. I prefer unfiltered but it is hard to find.
Heat the milk up to 87 Celsius. Let it cool up to 40 Celsius. Add the active organic yogurt. I stay away of Danone, as it GMO.
Better use smaller farm company milk/yogurt. You can also buy starters from Health food stores. You have to mix the starter/yogurt quite well. I pour the inoculated milk in jars. I have a yogurt maker, but you don't really need that.
Before buying the machine I warmed the oven to 80-100 Celsius. Turn off the oven. I put the jars slightly covered, in the oven (the oven off), and I left them inside till the next morning. After that, check if the yogurt is done and put it in the fridge. The yogurt maker keeps the jars at 37 grades C.
If you use goat milk, the yogurt is more runny, not like the cow milk. For making Greek yogurt you have to use half and half (10% milk/cream).
After you do the first batch of yogurt you don't need to buy new ones. Keep a jar and use it as a new starter.
Very important: the milk should not be UHT!!! The starter yogurt should contain active cultures. All the jars, spoons used should be very clean.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

I agree with the last post. I just made some yogurt yesterday and it turned out wonderfully. pasteurization does not prevent the proliferation of bacteria. All it does is kill the bacteria currently in the milk by heating it to a certain temperature...which you do anyway when you heat it up to about 180-185 degrees before allowing it to cool to 110 to add the yogurt culture.

I had never made yogurt before so I was nervous that I would be destroying a whole half gallon of milk (I only put about 4 spoons of existing yogurt culture in it). It turned out perfectly fine I just put it in a warm oven under a pilot light and the next morning I had half yogurt and half buttermilk for baking and pancakes (I strained and jarred the whey). I used some no name brand with live cultures in it and allowed the yogurt to come to room temperature before adding it. That is important too. If you add it too cool it will not be warm enough to reproduce. If you do not want it too sour only allow to culture for 8 or nine hours and not 12. Also be very certain you stir your milk while it is above 110 degress to keep from burning the milk.

Tags
yogurt, homemade