How do like your eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Eating eggs is a very personal thing.

There are many ways to cook eggs, but there are many more ways to eat them. I spend my workday cooking eggs, and even though we offer other items such as crepes, fresh fruit waffles, panckakes, and assorted breakfast sandwhiches, the majority of times people order eggs. Over easy is by far the most popular, then over medium, poaced, hard, then sunny. And of course omlettes.
But where it gets different is how people actually eat them. You could serve five people over easy eggs, and I'll bet all of them willl eat them differently.
Personally, I like mine sunny side up. I prefer the yolks, and find the whites to be tasteless and unapealing, so I mash them all up into a soupy mix and scoop them on my toast. Not the prettiest technique, but that's the way it is. Oh, and don't forget the ketchup mixed with a bit of hotsauce.
There you have it. I have bared my egg soul. What about you? Are you a dipper? A masher? On toast? Or, maybe you can't stand the slimy little buggers.

Last edited:
Sunny Side Up and Omelettes.

I fork off a piece of an egg, cutting into the yolk then I can dip into the yolk with pieces of the white so I get yolk in every bite.

Over medium or poached, just so long as the white is completely cooked and the yolk is runny.

Runny whites gross me out! :sick: :yuk:

I also prefer frying in butter, giving them that crispy edge, or even poaching them with a little butter in the non-stick poaching cup.

Sunny Side Up and Omelettes.

I fork off a piece of an egg, cutting into the yolk then I can dip into the yolk with pieces of the white so I get yolk in every bite.

A yolk man like myself. Sometimes I see plates come back with all of the whites meticulously cut off and two perfecty round yolks left on the plate. Seems like a lot of work to me.:LOL:

I love them scrambled, poached, boiled or fried just as long as the yolks are cooked (can't handle boiled okra either) but my absolutely favorite way is over-medium. I like to cut them up so that I get a taste of that wonderful yolk in every bite. This holds true with everything that I am having with them too. I mix the entire plate together and then sop it up with a biscuit or toast.

A yolk man like myself. Sometimes I see plates come back with all of the whites meticulously cut off and two perfecty round yolks left on the plate. Seems like a lot of work to me.:LOL:

Maybe you should suggest and egg white omelet to those people.

It depends on how the egg is cooked, and what kind of mood I'm in. When I have time, I like to poach my eggs ina poaching pan, with butter spread all over the littel cups before the egg is put in, and lightly salted on top. I put two of these cooked gems onto buttered whole-grain toast, and carefully remove and eat the solid white. I them break the yolk and let it run all over the toast, and soak in. After I think it's soaked in enough, I pick up the toast and eat it, crust sides first, all the way around so the last bit is the perfect, crustless, yolk soaked toast.

2nd favorite - poached in salted, non-boiling water. Remove the egg when the white is completely set and place on buttered whole grain toast. Cut off the extra egg to create a lump of egg-solid with runny yolk inside to make it look like a giant canelle (sp). Sauce with a runny, but viscuous cheese sauce. Chop up the egg on the toast and eat with a fork, taking care to get all of that eggy goodness.

3rd favorite, sunny side up, but covered for the last 30 seconds or so, with a tbs. of water to steam the top of the egg. Plate, dip toast into the yolk until its all gone. Cut up and mix the rest of the egg and eat with whatever toast is left. Sometimes I like to dip cooked bacon in the yolk as well.

Yum.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

The yolk is the key for me at breakfast! Sunny, over easy, poached makes no difference. Toast, bagel, English muffin, just vehicles for the yolk. Once in a while an omelette.

Dinner, often will be a torta or fritata.

Craig

Last edited:
Mostly scrambled for ease but I let them sit a while to get some white and yolk seperation before scrambling.

When I eat them whole I like to put the whole egg on a piece of toast and eat it.

My favorite way is eggs benedict but I only make it 1-2 times a year.

I make cheese omeletts pretty frequently and I swithch between the stovetop and broiler to get them fluffy

Last edited:
Is there a bad way to cook eggs? I've never had a soft boiled egg but otherwise I like them fried hard in a sandwich, sunny side up with toast, poached on toast with grape jelly, scrambled with cheese, coddled, hard boiled and made into egg salad or deviled or eaten whole with salt and pepper. Omelets with just about any kind of filling are wonderful too.

I might return a plate to you with all the whites meticulously cut off and two perfectly round yolks missing on the plate. :LOL:

I like eggs every which way. Even raw. (oh, oh, I probably shouldn't have admitted that)

Last edited:
If I'm cooking just an egg then the yolk has to be runny. A over easy egg on a burger is wonderful or a poached egg(or two) in the bottom of a bowl of garlic soup which a piece of crusty toasted bread is heaven

I have a set of Worcester egg coddler so my fav is a couple of coddled eggs and some wholemeal toast cut into soldiers so I can dip them into the yolk, I then like to be winded before my morning nap.:)

Never met an egg I didn't like, cooked any which way, as long as the yolk is runny. One of my favorites is a bowl of golden well buttered toast pieces, with perfectly soft boiled eggs on top and sprinkled with Lawery's Season All, and lots of fresh ground pepper. All the toast pieces get all gooey with that luscious yolk. Yummm.

Fried in butter over easy/medium with grits....
Fried/Scrambled egg sandwich.....
Soft scrambled with grits....
Poached with Corn beef hash/Red Beans and Rice
Deviled Eggs.......
Boiled in Gumbo....
Egg Salad.......
Seafood (and other) Omelets

For breakfast, even if it's late at night, sunny side, sunny side with the lid on to make a bit of white "skin" on the yoke, if I'm at home. In a restaurant, always over easy. I really, really don't want to see slimy, undercooked egg white. I don't want to explain it to the server, especially since I'm explaining about the bacon having to be really crisp, like potato chips.

I love egg sandwiches. Egg salad, sliced hard boiled egg with tomato, French omelette, scrambled eggs, fried with the yoke broken as soon as the white starts to set (to cut down on the mess), scrambled and used as garnish on an open-faced sandwich - especially good with smoked salmon.

I usually just eat my eggs with a knife and fork and mop up with toast. If I'm in a restaurant and the whole wheat bread tastes like it was extruded in a factory, I'll probably dip it in the yoke.

I'll have to try soufflé again. I found it too dry. And the quiche I have tasted was awful, but that was probably the optional ingredients. Kinda put me off wanting to try it again.

I have two favorite ways I like eggs. About once a week I make myself a 3-egg omelet, but am very particular about it. I don't like the eggs over-whipped and fluffy. I'll add just a little basil or herbs de provence to the eggs along with two pinches of salt. On the inside, I like sauteed mushrooms and chives, with a dollop of whipped cream cheese.

The other way is served over the top of homemade hash. When I have them this way the yolks have to be runny. Like Rocklobster, I'm a yolk man, and will mash the runny yolks and flavorless whites into the hash. Then I cover the whole thing with ketchup. My family thinks it's disgusting but they just don't know what's good. ;)

I have to amend my post. Not all eggs, everywhichway.
I do not like my eggs as balut - boiled with fully formed chick, then pickled so that it looks and tastes like it has been preserved for "1000 years."

Back
Top Bottom