"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 04-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Executive Chef

How do like your eggs?

Eating eggs is a very personal thing.

There are many ways to cook eggs, but there are many more ways to eat them. I spend my workday cooking eggs, and even though we offer other items such as crepes, fresh fruit waffles, panckakes, and assorted breakfast sandwhiches, the majority of times people order eggs. Over easy is by far the most popular, then over medium, poaced, hard, then sunny. And of course omlettes.
But where it gets different is how people actually eat them. You could serve five people over easy eggs, and I'll bet all of them willl eat them differently.
Personally, I like mine sunny side up. I prefer the yolks, and find the whites to be tasteless and unapealing, so I mash them all up into a soupy mix and scoop them on my toast. Not the prettiest technique, but that's the way it is. Oh, and don't forget the ketchup mixed with a bit of hotsauce.
There you have it. I have bared my egg soul. What about you? Are you a dipper? A masher? On toast? Or, maybe you can't stand the slimy little buggers.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Sunny Side Up and Omelettes.

I fork off a piece of an egg, cutting into the yolk then I can dip into the yolk with pieces of the white so I get yolk in every bite.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Over medium or poached, just so long as the white is completely cooked and the yolk is runny.

Runny whites gross me out!

I also prefer frying in butter, giving them that crispy edge, or even poaching them with a little butter in the non-stick poaching cup.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sunny Side Up and Omelettes.

I fork off a piece of an egg, cutting into the yolk then I can dip into the yolk with pieces of the white so I get yolk in every bite.
A yolk man like myself. Sometimes I see plates come back with all of the whites meticulously cut off and two perfecty round yolks left on the plate. Seems like a lot of work to me.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Runny whites gross me out!

I love slurping up that snotty bit. If you can grab it just right, it will hang off of the fork an inch or two and you can gross out your wife and kids.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Head Chef

I love them scrambled, poached, boiled or fried just as long as the yolks are cooked (can't handle boiled okra either) but my absolutely favorite way is over-medium. I like to cut them up so that I get a taste of that wonderful yolk in every bite. This holds true with everything that I am having with them too. I mix the entire plate together and then sop it up with a biscuit or toast.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
A yolk man like myself. Sometimes I see plates come back with all of the whites meticulously cut off and two perfecty round yolks left on the plate. Seems like a lot of work to me.

Maybe you should suggest and egg white omelet to those people.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #8
Master Chef

It depends on how the egg is cooked, and what kind of mood I'm in. When I have time, I like to poach my eggs ina poaching pan, with butter spread all over the littel cups before the egg is put in, and lightly salted on top. I put two of these cooked gems onto buttered whole-grain toast, and carefully remove and eat the solid white. I them break the yolk and let it run all over the toast, and soak in. After I think it's soaked in enough, I pick up the toast and eat it, crust sides first, all the way around so the last bit is the perfect, crustless, yolk soaked toast.

2nd favorite - poached in salted, non-boiling water. Remove the egg when the white is completely set and place on buttered whole grain toast. Cut off the extra egg to create a lump of egg-solid with runny yolk inside to make it look like a giant canelle (sp). Sauce with a runny, but viscuous cheese sauce. Chop up the egg on the toast and eat with a fork, taking care to get all of that eggy goodness.

3rd favorite, sunny side up, but covered for the last 30 seconds or so, with a tbs. of water to steam the top of the egg. Plate, dip toast into the yolk until its all gone. Cut up and mix the rest of the egg and eat with whatever toast is left. Sometimes I like to dip cooked bacon in the yolk as well.

Yum.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
Executive Chef

The yolk is the key for me at breakfast! Sunny, over easy, poached makes no difference. Toast, bagel, English muffin, just vehicles for the yolk. Once in a while an omelette.

Dinner, often will be a torta or fritata.

Craig
Old 04-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
Half Baked

Mostly scrambled for ease but I let them sit a while to get some white and yolk seperation before scrambling.

When I eat them whole I like to put the whole egg on a piece of toast and eat it.

My favorite way is eggs benedict but I only make it 1-2 times a year.

I make cheese omeletts pretty frequently and I swithch between the stovetop and broiler to get them fluffy

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggs