Show us your quiche!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@dcSaute I saw those chickpeas first, and all sorts of things went through my mind, but then I read the lines underneath, describing why they were there!

I have a question for you - you obviously just put the chickpeas in the pastry without a liner, like parchment or foil, which I always have to use with the weights. It keeps a lot of moisture in, and the chickpeas it seems would let a lot out. Do you just use a new batch of chickpeas every time, then cook the chickpeas in something to use them up? It doesn't seem like the chickpeas could be used time after time, after being on the buttery pastry.

I wonder the same thing, as I don't like what using parchment paper under my white beans does to the bottom of my crust. It leaves it moist. I've thought about trying without the parchment paper. It appears to work with puff pastry. I wonder if it would be okay with pie dough.

CD

First time I used peas in the crust I did not use parchment paper, didn't even think about it, just followed the directions on the recipe.
Well, they sank into the dough and were the devil to get out. I've used parchment paper ever since.
One set of instructions said to bake the crust with the weights and then remove the weights to finish baking. Not a complete success either but perhaps the moisture content of my crust was too high.
I now use parchment paper - same piece for multiple usage. I fold it up and stuff it in the jar with the peas for next time. Watch for when it starts to get a 'stale' smell and then simply change it!
I have used foil but only once maybe twice - honestly don't remember the outcome... go figure.

I reuse them - doesn't seem to be a problem . . .

I've read they should not be used as chickpeas after a baking, one would think they go a bit on the crispy / dried out side.

This thread reminded me of the old chili relleno casserole recipes from the 70s.

I’ve made it in a frozen pie shell or as a crust less quiche.

I prefer to serve it with the tomato sauce or chunky salsa on the side.

keesch krust - part ducks . . .

got some "std" pie crust stuff - Pillsbury, decent name, one would surmise . . .
well, it shrunk/sagged/whatevered - unrolled and place in the deep dish pan, came right up to the pan rim.

it shrunk, I was pretty sure the mixture volume would overflow the shrunken crust and make a mega-mess - but it didn't.

anywhey, a good time dinner was had by all. left-overs scheduled for Sunday . . .
q3_s1.jpg

This thread reminded me of the old chili relleno casserole recipes from the 70s.

I’ve made it in a frozen pie shell or as a crust less quiche.

I prefer to serve it with the tomato sauce or chunky salsa on the side.

I've made this with no crust and with green chile enchilada sauce, it's yummy!

keesch krust - part ducks . . .

got some "std" pie crust stuff - Pillsbury, decent name, one would surmise . . .
well, it shrunk/sagged/whatevered - unrolled and place in the deep dish pan, came right up to the pan rim.

it shrunk, I was pretty sure the mixture volume would overflow the shrunken crust and make a mega-mess - but it didn't.

anywhey, a good time dinner was had by all. left-overs scheduled for Sunday . . .
View attachment 68034

I use Pillsbury crusts, and have not had any shrinkage beyond what I expected. I burn the top edges, but that is a user problem, not a product problem. ;)

CD

Pillsbury, decent name, one would surmise . . .
well, it shrunk/sagged/whatevered - unrolled and place in the deep dish pan, came right up to the pan rim...
If you have an Aldi near you, try their pre-made crust. I think that they are at least as good as Pillsbury, maybe better, and they cost less - bonus! Two crusts to a box, just like the name brand.

Tonight's quiche, made with a batter of tofu and almond milk. Delicious.
quiche-001.jpg
That looks good! I'd be curious for the recipe if available or generalized description.

Wer'e actually, or I should say, My wife is actually making a Tofu Quiche this week. Using a Hash brown crust. The quick has tofu, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, and some other things. This was another recipe I questioned , but actually comes out pretty good.

we're getting a new Aldi 'down at the corner'!

Aldi and Lidl have other nearby locations, but our normal routines don't often take us to that part of town. the new one is right close.

I've been disappointed in Aldi of late. both used to stock a lot of German goodies - but Aldi has dropped pretty much all that - and become essentially a cut rate grocery store.
Lidl still carries the German stuff / heavy German inspired stuff.... it's a must shop place for Christmas cookies, stollen, etc.

That looks good! I'd be curious for the recipe if available or generalized description.

Wer'e actually, or I should say, My wife is actually making a Tofu Quiche this week. Using a Hash brown crust. The quick has tofu, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, and some other things. This was another recipe I questioned , but actually comes out pretty good.
The hash brown crust is a great idea and will hold it together. There's actually dozens of combinations of 'vegan tofu hash brown crust quiche recipes'.
I used a batter of:
1 lb (or close to that) of tofu
1 cup plant milk, almond
1 T corn starch
1 t onion powder
1 t garlic powder
1/4 t eggy salt
2 T nutritional yeast
1/2 t turmeric
I precooked the vegetables so the water from them wouldn't make the quiche watery.
I don't use a vegan cheese but I bet it would be good with it.
The minimalist baker has pretty good recipes over all: https://minimalistbaker.com/simple-tofu-quiche/

we're getting a new Aldi 'down at the corner'!

Aldi and Lidl have other nearby locations, but our normal routines don't often take us to that part of town. the new one is right close.

I've been disappointed in Aldi of late. both used to stock a lot of German goodies - but Aldi has dropped pretty much all that - and become essentially a cut rate grocery store.
Lidl still carries the German stuff / heavy German inspired stuff.... it's a must shop place for Christmas cookies, stollen, etc.

I live near two ALDI stores, and have only been there a couple of times. I can only get about one-third of what I need at ALDI, so I end up going to another grocery store where I could have purchased everything I needed. I don't see any point in that. As for prices, I can go to a Walmart for low prices.

CD

my "main" store is a Giant. however their buyers live somewhere way far away from "here" and their "fresh produce" - especially Dec thru summer - is exceedingly iffy.
rotting onions, potatoes with huge black voids, carrots made of orange rubber, etc etc etc
in summer/season I shop at a couple farm stands - corn, tomatoes, peppers, candy onions, zukes, beets, green/yellow beans . . . all available right smack off the vine . . .

when we're bored, we do Wegman's @ 30 minutes drive, one way.

so I'm already doing two stores - Weis Markets (across the street) has infinitely superior produce. Weis is a smaller / semi-local business with seriously better produce buyers/suppliers. otoh, Weis has a smaller selection of "same products" but curiously they stock stuff we prefer, and Giant does not stock . . .

Aldi would be a second stop sandwiched into between. all three are within pumpkin chunkin distance of each other . . .

my "main" store is a Giant. however their buyers live somewhere way far away from "here" and their "fresh produce" - especially Dec thru summer - is exceedingly iffy.
rotting onions, potatoes with huge black voids, carrots made of orange rubber, etc etc etc
in summer/season I shop at a couple farm stands - corn, tomatoes, peppers, candy onions, zukes, beets, green/yellow beans . . . all available right smack off the vine . . .

when we're bored, we do Wegman's @ 30 minutes drive, one way.

so I'm already doing two stores - Weis Markets (across the street) has infinitely superior produce. Weis is a smaller / semi-local business with seriously better produce buyers/suppliers. otoh, Weis has a smaller selection of "same products" but curiously they stock stuff we prefer, and Giant does not stock . . .

Aldi would be a second stop sandwiched into between. all three are within pumpkin chunkin distance of each other . . .

We have lots of grocery stores within ten miles of me. Two Krogers, two Walmart Supercenters, two ALDIs, a Tom Thumb (upscale Albetson's in Dallas area), a Central Market (also Albertson's), and two HEB stores, the best of the best, IMO. HEB is Texas only, plus a handful of stores in Mexico. If I can't get it at HEB, I probably don't need it. :ROFLMAO:

CD

Finally got around to making the Tofu Quiche this morning. Usually my wife makes it, but she was too tired last night ,so being up at 3am with nothing to do, I decided to make it.
- Hash brown crust ( peeled, grated potatoes mixed with butter, S&P, Spread in a greased pan
- Pre-bake hash brow crust
- Sautéed veggies (Mushrooms, onions, sun dried tomatoes, scallions, basil, oregano, nutritional yeast,S&P
- Whipped tofu - pressed tofu blended ( with a little almond milk) until creamy, but still thick
- Mixed veggies and whipped tofu together. Seasoned as needed
- Loaded the pan ( with the crust )
- Baked
***Potatoes, Sun-dried tomatoes and garlic all homegrown from the garden***

Attachments

• q1.png
    q1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • q3.png
    q3.png
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • q2.png
    q2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • q4.png
    q4.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • q5.png
    q5.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • q6.png
    q6.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • q7.png
    q7.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Looks beautiful Larry. I'm curious about the overall taste with the tofu. I'd have a hard time to describe an egg quiche, but one with tofu... is it more of the vegies? as in the mushrooms? I can understand how the creamy texture comes thru but in my little brain - quiche's flavour is egg and cheese, at least my quiches are! LOL!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom