Show us your quiche!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That sort of thing happens to me. Then, something reminds of one of those dishes that we used to eat often, but then dropped away and I wonder what happened and start making it again. Now I have to wonder if that happens to lots of us.

I think that is pretty common. I know I go through phases where I'll make something a lot, and then won't make it for months, or sometimes years.

CD

Do you think it worth the bother to find one you like? If not, that's okay too! :ROFLMAO: I do find them a nice "brunch" kind of meal...and they will serve a few people or enough for leftovers another day. Even from the freezer!

I like that quiche makes good leftovers. It fits my "grazing" style of eating (mini meals throughout the day instead of three regular meals). The crust makes it a handheld food, too. I can put a slice on a paper towel, warm it up a little in the microwave (just enough to take the chill out), and carry it to my desk in the office. No dirty dishes or utensils. I just toss the paper towel into the trash.

CD

Taxy, do you eat/enjoy homemade custard?

On another note, have you ever tried a microwave "puff" omelet? Quiche is way denser than the puff omelet, but something just brought them to mind. Maybe because they are not sweet like custard. Or how about the "impossible pie" savory dishes?

Do you think it worth the bother to find one you like? If not, that's okay too! :ROFLMAO: I do find them a nice "brunch" kind of meal...and they will serve a few people or enough for leftovers another day. Even from the freezer!
Nah, I'm not going to try making one again until I have tasted a quiche made by someone else and enjoyed it. I'm fine with not making all the different kinds of dishes. And I do make a Danish æggekage, "egg cake", which is not sweet. I don't miss quiche, since it was never a thing for me.

Nah, I'm not going to try making one again until I have tasted a quiche made by someone else and enjoyed it. I'm fine with not making all the different kinds of dishes. And I do make a Danish æggekage, "egg cake", which is not sweet. I don't miss quiche, since it was never a thing for me.

I would think you could find many French bakeries and cafes in Montreal that make a good quiche.

CD

BTW, a basic quiche is a blank canvas. It is just eggs, cream and cheese in a pie crust. From there, you can go in different directions, with meats and vegetables of your choosing.

I often use dice ham in mine. My favorite veggies are spinach , asparagus, onions, and bell peppers. With quiches with meat, I usually sprinkle some finely diced jalapeños into the mix.

CD

Taxy, do you eat/enjoy homemade custard?

On another note, have you ever tried a microwave "puff" omelet? Quiche is way denser than the puff omelet, but something just brought them to mind. Maybe because they are not sweet like custard. Or how about the "impossible pie" savory dishes?
What are these puff omelets and impossible pies that you speak of? Yum!

To me "Impossible Pies" refer to those recipes on the Bisquick packages. I used to make them a lot for the family. They were great - hearty and fed everybody. .French' Apple Pie style (had marachino cherries for a pop of colour, Ham & Cheese (almost a quiche), Chicken Pot Pie and I think there was another but can't remember what right now.
I think that is pretty common. I know I go through phases where I'll make something a lot, and then won't make it for months, or sometimes years.

CD
I'm like that too taxy. Plus as casey says, so convenient now - freezable, easily heated, finger/paper towels, perfect!

here's a curiosity quiche . . . had some puff pastry (store bought) dough
and said . . . "why not?"

docked, chickpea pie weights, prebaked . . .
1707502945850.jpeg

filled & done
1707502996904.jpeg

the puff pastry shrunk, a lot, it was up over the rim . . . as I expected some shrinkage.
regardless - veddy tasty and an interesting presentation for company . . .

View attachment 67920
filled & done
View attachment 67921

the puff pastry shrunk, a lot, it was up over the rim . . . as I expected some shrinkage.
regardless - veddy tasty and an interesting presentation for company . . .
Forgive me... but at first I just saw your first picture and I thought it was a dog food pie. I was slightly alarmed...

Im so sorry for thinking that because you are a great cook! As demonstrated by your final product. YUM!

Yeah, me too! soo sorry - I couldn't figure out why you made a quiche with chickpeas and no egg or anything! You're always so level headed.
I'm certainly going to have to try that - have some that should be used! (pastry not chickpeas!)

Reading is Fundamental. I knew what you were up to!

When I pre-bake pie crust, I first line the crust with parchment paper, then add enough beans/chickpeas/dried peas/lentils to come to the top of the pie plate. I freeze the crust that way for 15-30 minutes, while the oven pre-heats. That helps prevent some of the slumping that occurs when the crust isn't supported so much. I don't know if that would work with puff pastry. Your final result does look delicious, though.

I know my right side brain read "chick pea pie weights" but the left side brain looked at the picture and read "why are you making/eating a chick pea pie?"
Sometimes my right and left side don't communicate with complete comprehension.
You know the old trick - how long did it take you to learn to "rub your belly and pat your head" at the same time. And then switch hand positions and do it again? And the best part.... can you still do it now as fast as you did as a kid? LOL go on! try it!

Ever since I discovered a decent frozen deep dish pie crust, I make quiche on a regular basis. I made this one yesterday; ham, onion, asparagus, eggs, milk, s&p, nutmeg, and Jarlesberg cheese.
Now why didnt I think of this? I can get a ready made pie crust and just do my fillings - so much quicker and easier! I love a quiche - particularly the classic Lorraine. As much cheese as can possibly be included of course.

@dcSaute I saw those chickpeas first, and all sorts of things went through my mind, but then I read the lines underneath, describing why they were there!

I have a question for you - you obviously just put the chickpeas in the pastry without a liner, like parchment or foil, which I always have to use with the weights. It keeps a lot of moisture in, and the chickpeas it seems would let a lot out. Do you just use a new batch of chickpeas every time, then cook the chickpeas in something to use them up? It doesn't seem like the chickpeas could be used time after time, after being on the buttery pastry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom