"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 03-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I love eggs any way too. I tried eggs nuked in a coffee cup for lunch the other day when there was nothing else in the fridge. Worked pretty slick, quick and tasty! Gotta have ketchup and chipotle Tabasco!

I make my child eggs by microwave all the time when I am in a rush, they taste just fine to me.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

scrambled eggs with cheese, chives and herbs. prefer toast colored eggs, just like the taste and flavor more

Old 03-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Most often it's eggs fried over easy. Sometimes an omelet with Gruyere and sautéed shallots. Occasionally a fritatta with roasted red peppers, shallots, cheese and sausage.

The color of the eggshell is not a factor in the flavor or quality of the egg. It's simply linked to the breed of chicken that lays it.
Theoretically, you are correct. However, I have found that to a large extent, the farmers who choose chickens that lay brown eggs are the ones who are more likely to let them run around the barnyard and eat bugs and make tasty eggs.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Have you ever tried goose eggs? They are very large in size but taste good.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Good Morning,

I have just had to change all the watches, clocks and cellular phones, to Daylight Time ... Must get on ladder to do the London Roman Numeral Big Clock in Kitch now ...

Awesome photos and thanks to all Members who have posted feedback, recipes and subject ideas !

Los Huevos Rancheros, with the tomato sauce are called FLAMENCO EGGS in Spain, and the Omelettes with those mushrooms, the difference between raw eggs with exteriors of toast color and those of white, and the Eggs Benedict, are all stunning photos and very informative for fans of the egg genre !

Thanks so much for posting these ...

Have a nice Sunday. Margi.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Have you ever tried goose eggs? They are very large in size but taste good.
No, but once I was with a friend in an Asian market in Honolulu's "China town". She bought me a duck egg and told me to try it. The yolk was so much richer in color (and flavor) than the chicken eggs, almost orange. Much more yolk-y flavored.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #27
Master Chef

I'm not a huge egg lover, but that isn't to say that I don't like eggs.

I have been craving a really, really good eggs benedict. I mean a good one. Haven't had them since my 20th wedding anniversary at a place in Oak Park (suburb of Chicago). I remember going down to the hotel's restaurant and ordering it, and the waiter, all apologetic, said their chef refuses to do anything but make it from scratch when ordered, so it would be a bit. Huh? I was delighted! My husband had been thinking of ordering something else, but jumped right on the band-wagon. In the past ten years, the eggs benedict we'd had had been on brunch buffet lines and really bad. That morning we drank champagne and those eggs were to die for.

I love a good omelet. But I don't want it brown.

I have some of these little floating egg cups, and once in awhile I "poach" eggs in them and put them on English muffins. I top mine with a bit of shredded cheddar, my husband tops his with aioli. As close as we'll get to eggs benedict in this town.

Speaking of which, I don't think there's an egg in this house. Must be grocery time!
Old 03-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #28
Executive Chef

@ Claire,

Thanks for feedback.

Firstly, I am in agreement about Eggs Benedict and I too, dislike a brown omelette ...

Duck eggs ... interesting ... I like Quail Eggs ! Of course these are quite tiny --- however, they are delectable served in glassware with a few truffles or wild mushrooms !!! I prepare them on 25th December for brunch ...

I have not had it for Brunch in quite awhile ... However, Madrid is just not the best place to have it ... It is better to prepare at home ...

I always have it when I fly over to NYC or San Francisco / Los Angeles ...

Margi.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #29
Master Chef

I've had little quail eggs, more than once, and I'm trying to remember where and what circumstances. Good lord, I'm only 57 and my brain is fried. It seems to me that both times they were at very fancy restaurants, which means in the Wash DC or Honolulu area, and maybe in a salad?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Theoretically, you are correct. However, I have found that to a large extent, the farmers who choose chickens that lay brown eggs are the ones who are more likely to let them run around the barnyard and eat bugs and make tasty eggs.
Yup! I opted for Rhode Island Red hens because they are very good layers and they lay brown eggs. The Buff Orpingtons have "pink" ears and lay a pinkish brown egg. The barred Plymouth Rocks also lay a brownish egg, but the eggs are smaller than the RIRs and have a thicker membrane. I probably eat more eggs than most people. What the hens eats does make a difference--corn makes the yolks "yellower", as does flax seed. My chickens free range from about March until November. I still feed them--an organic mash that has corn in it, flaxseed, oil sunflower seeds, green veggies, egg shells (theirs), tomatoes, apples, bread, pasta, meat (yes, they like meat), and other things. I don't feed them citrus. They are "pigs with feathers" and will eat just about anything. We had to crush the sunflower seeds initially, but now they eat them without being pampered (my hens are a bit particular--they have their preferences and will turn their beaks up at low value stuff).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	13283   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	13284  

Click image for larger version

Name:	090.jpg