"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 07-17-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Need help soft boiling eggs.

after watching "master chef" tonight, my wife and son wanted me to show them how to make the 4 kinds of eggs featured in the pressure/elimination challenge: sunny side up, poached, 3 egg omelette, and soft boiled.

i know how to make sunny side up and omelettes easily, and i can do poached no problem in vinegared water.

my problem is going to be the soft boiled. i usually hard boil eggs for things like breakfast or lunch, for colouring at easter, or to be taken on road trips or to turn into devilled eggs, but i can't recall ever making a soft boiled egg intentionally, lol.

what are your methods or techniques for making a perfect soft boiled egg? how long do you cook it? slow rolling boil, or another temp? cold eggs in with the cold water, or room temp, or added to hot/boiling water?

i'll be going home with a dozen eggs in the morning for our little cook off, so i'll post results tomorrow night.

tia.

also, any personal secrets to poaching eggs? swirling the water, adding lemon, or such? i can make them, but they don't look as perfect as the ones on the show.
thanks.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Soft boiled eggs, childhood revisited, ok pan of simering water add 1 tea spoon of salt and 1 of vinagar, ( helps with eggs cracking ) eggs take about 3 minutes to cook in simmering water, ever heard of an egg timer hour glass with sand in it turn and sand runs threw, to get them soft boiled timing is critical.

take the egg out of pan after 3 minutes if all the water on outside evaporates instantly its hard boiled, should take about 2 seconds for water to disapear.

tip place eggs in pan with a spoon , with just enough water to cover the eggs.

do some toast with the eggs butter toast then cut into about 10 finger sized strips.

if you get it right the white of the egg is cooked but the yoke ( yellow ) is uncooked

take the top of the egg and dip the toast in

Old 07-17-2012, 02:14 AM   #3
Master Chef

I love soft boiled eggs and have them once or twice a week. Here's how I make them.

First, take your egg(s) out of the fridge beforehand so they come to room temp, or at least are not cold directly from the fridge.

Bring a pot of water to a boil, should be enough water to cover the egg by an inch or so. Don't use an oversized pot or they will bounce around too much and could crack.

When the water comes to a boil, put the egg on a spoon and VERY slowly lower it into the boiling water. You don't want it to hit the bottom of the pot with any force. Set your timer for 6 minutes for a large egg, or 5 for a medium sized egg.

When the timer goes off, take your egg out immediately and run it under cool water until barely cool enough to handle, but still hot. Crack it around the middle with a spoon and gently pull it apart over your plate. Spoon each half onto your plate. The yolk should be confined to one half or the other, done but very soft and loose, the whites should be soft but not runny.

Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:11 AM   #4
Master Chef

I'm up late tonight and just had a soft boiled egg - perfect excuse to have a late night snack.

Forgot to say, when you put the egg in the boiling water, lower the temp a tad so that it's still a boil, but not a raging, violent boil. 5 and a half minutes was perfect for a large egg.

Happy experimenting, buckytom. Will be interested to hear of your results.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks very much, cheryl and tango.

hey, welcome tango! thanks again.

the variables will be interesting: size of egg amd shell, makeup of water, temp of boil, specific amount if time.

it'll be fun, educational, and the best part, edible.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:19 AM   #6
Head Chef

Now you will have to try out all the individual methods Bucktooth.

I do soft boiled eggs all of the time.

I keep eggs out of the fridge, so straight into a pan of cold water.

Bring to boil. Lower heat to a good simmer.

Depending on size of egg - time to at least 4 minutes. ( I use large eggs so 4 minutes).
Old 07-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
Head Chef

P.S. In return can you teach me Sunny Side Up I have no clue what it is but sounds like fun.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I have more steps than are probably necessary, but I am finicky about my eggs.

Take eggs from frig. Start a pan of water and bring to a boil. Carefully lower eggs into the boiling water. When the eggs return to a bubbleing boil, not a full angry boil, set timer for 5 minutes. At 5 minutes empty pan of hot water under running cold water and fill the pan with cool water. Return pan to a cold burner on stove. Remove eggs one at a time and gently crack on the counter. Gently peel shells. Do a quick dip back in the cooled pan of water and rinse off any shell bits. Then gently roll on a double up paper towel to dry. Place the egg on a slice of toast on the center of your plate. Repeat with next egg. Yes, if you work it right, the cool water does bring the cooking to a stop, cools them enough so they are readily handled, and yes, the eggs remain warm if you serve them right away.

I like the egg whites cooked and the yellows still runny. I find 5 minutes does this. I also try to maintain consistency in how much water is used for cooking and always the same size pan-- about an inch higher than the eggs, and I use a one quart size copper bottom stainless steel pan.

Cut the eggs in halves when you sit down, salt and pepper. Serve with a slice of buttered toast and allow the toast on your plate to absorb some of the egg yolks too.

PS. "new" eggs sometimes don't want to peel as easily as those that have been stored awhile. So for your experiment, use any you already have on hand for soft boiled.

PPS. Your son may better like his toast cut in strips or Little Soldiers. I didn't learn what this term meant until well into adult- hood despite seeing it referenced in various books / novels etc. Great for egg dipping.
Have fun too.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
Executive Chef

eggs @ room temp.gently boiling water with salt & vinegar in.the vinegar will instantly "heal" the white if the shell cracks.dunno what the salt does,but if it was good enough for me mum.......anyway prick the blunt end of the egg with pin/toothpick(not your dewalt!) this punctures the air sac which is what usually causes the egg to crack as the air expands in the hot water.lower egg into water gently with a spoon.time depends on size 3-4 mins should do it.don't cover pan.forget the eggs,order take away sushi.now phone your mum & dad!!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
P.S. In return can you teach me Sunny Side Up I have no clue what it is but sounds like fun.
Sunny side in the States , is basically a 'dippy egg' in the UK.

Tags
eggs