"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 09-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #41
Senior Cook

Thanks, Janet H for the referral to the web site about egg oddities. I didn't know there were so many. I had never before seen a fart egg, but the explanation makes sense.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

When I got my Rhode Island Reds, one was laying 2 eggs/day. She was young--about 6 months. After about 3 weeks, she settled down and is now only laying 1 egg/day. Chickens are only supposed to lay 1 each every 24 hours. This one was laying 2 within about 3-4 hours. She might have been the person's double-yolker, I don't know. Double-yolkers stop producing earlier than those that lay single-yolk eggs. And, the color of the chicken's ears determine the egg color, fwiw. The battery farms where most of the commercial eggs are produced will start with young hens (5-6 months) and only keep them until they are 12-18 months. Supposedly as chickens age, the eggs get larger. I have two more young laying hens arriving today...who knew having laying hens would be so much fun?

Old 09-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #43
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
When I got my Rhode Island Reds, one was laying 2 eggs/day. She was young--about 6 months. After about 3 weeks, she settled down and is now only laying 1 egg/day. Chickens are only supposed to lay 1 each every 24 hours. This one was laying 2 within about 3-4 hours. She might have been the person's double-yolker, I don't know. Double-yolkers stop producing earlier than those that lay single-yolk eggs. And, the color of the chicken's ears determine the egg color, fwiw. The battery farms where most of the commercial eggs are produced will start with young hens (5-6 months) and only keep them until they are 12-18 months. Supposedly as chickens age, the eggs get larger. I have two more young laying hens arriving today...who knew having laying hens would be so much fun?
I am going to have to start looking at their ears more carefully!

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This discussion has just been fascinating! Had no idea chickens were such cool little critters!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Dawgluver--I had no idea chickens were so interesting to watch until I got Harriet and Myrtle in June. They are very entertaining and each have their own personalities. The girls are like little dogs--they follow me around, they come running when I come out into the yard, Myrtle perches on my shoulder when I'm out in the garden, and they are so proud of their eggs each morning--they strut to their box and make sure I see that they've produced the eggs. And, chickens can lay until they are 5-8 years old (depends on the breed). And, they can live to be in their teens. I know of one person who has housetrained her chicken...
Old 09-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
Dawgluver--I had no idea chickens were so interesting to watch until I got Harriet and Myrtle in June. They are very entertaining and each have their own personalities. The girls are like little dogs--they follow me around, they come running when I come out into the yard, Myrtle perches on my shoulder when I'm out in the garden, and they are so proud of their eggs each morning--they strut to their box and make sure I see that they've produced the eggs. And, chickens can lay until they are 5-8 years old (depends on the breed). And, they can live to be in their teens. I know of one person who has housetrained her chicken...
Love the names, CW! The girls sound adorable!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Chickens are a lot easier to keep than we thought they'd be. I don't know why it took us so long to get chickens. Although, I must say, I'm finding that I feel a bit odd when I'm eating chicken now...it almost seems "wrong."
Old 09-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #48
Senior Cook

Yes, the eggs get larger, but fewer in number, as the hens age.

That is an interesting story, CWS!

I see my hens & cocks as pets, not just as egg producers. I don't kill them, ever, nor do I eat "chicken".

I wish I could train my chickens. In any case, a backyard flock of heirloom variety chickens are interesting, fun and dare I say it - intelligent in their own way. They are not birdbrains.

In addition to a bunch of Delawares and Rhodies, we now have a mother hen and her one chick living in the garage. Even if a hen goes broody in the winter, I'll bring her and her eggs into the house till hatching is done and chix are large enough to go into the chicken house (heated somewhat).

Love your chicken stories.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What do you do with older chickens? It would break my heart to cook a beloved pet. 8 years seems such a short time. Do they have an old age home for chickens?
Old 09-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #50
Senior Cook

Well, most of my chickens just go grey on my watch (somewhat literally) and die of old age. Sometimes they get taken by a hawk or fox if they can't run to the coop on time. I do my best to protect them, but... This is God's will. To feed needy wildlife, sometimes, after a good life.

Tags
None