"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 03-03-2005, 06:06 PM   #1
Executive Chef
Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs

I was wondering how many people have trouble peeling eggs. Here is a proper way to cook them.

You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
Executive Chef
Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Thanks Bang. I learned young not to boil fresh eggs, makes a huge difference.

MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:40 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i can never peel them suckers lol.
thanks bang
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:57 PM   #4
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I always throw a little salt in the water...for some reason it helps the peeling process.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:23 AM   #5
Senior Cook
I put this on the thread that was asking, "what do you use a teaspoon for"
After the eggs are cooked and there are a TON of ways to cook an egg,
I crack the shell completely all around. Then wet a teaspoon, a table spoon, not a measuring spoon. At large end of the egg, I'll slip the spoon under the shell and under the thin membrane between the shell and the egg, then roll the spoon around the egg thus removing the shell with no or a minimum of damage to the white of the egg. As you know, fresh eggs are very hard to peel without tearing up the white.

Here is another web page on EGGS:

Hungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:25 AM   #6
Master Chef
My wife taught me this trick, along with a never-fail way to cure hiccups, but that's another story. This works every time for me and is quite simple. In addition, I know it works on fresh and older eggs as I used to have egg laying hens when I lived in Washington State.

After boiling the eggs to your liking, with or without salt in the water, and to whatever degree of doneness (is there such a word as doneness?), lightly crack the egg and immerse immediatley in cold, running water. Laeve in for about thirty seconds or so. I'm not sure why this works, but if you then start from the crack, and get under the thin membrane, the egg comes off very easily, with no damage to the egg-white. Again, I'm not sure why it works, I just know that it does.

Oh, after cooling in the water, if you craze the shell, it peels off even easier. Just roll the egg around in your hands, applying just enough pressure to crack it. Then peel.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
Certified Executive Chef
bang, my egg boiling method is similar to the link. However, when the water comes to a rolling boil, I remove the pan from the heat, cover and let sit for about 5 minutes. Then I pour off the hot water and fill pot with cold water, gently crack the small end and put leave in cold water for a few minutes then eat them or put in fridge to further cool. The cracking of the small end seems to make peeling easier, maybe because some of the water seeps in??? I do not crack the large end because that is where the air pocket is. Mine never have a green ring, but if they did I would not care, green and gold are DUCK colors.
norgeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I never had any trouble before, when I had an electric stove.
Now I have a gas stove and everytime I hard boil eggs it's a chore to peel them.

I cook them in the same way.. but, it takes a lot longer for the water to come to a boil. Could that be the problem?
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:30 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer
Moved to Eggs, Cheese, Dairy.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
Head Chef
ok not sure if this was the latest one regarding peeling hard boiled eggs, but I have tried Everything!!!. suggestions from here, else where you name it. I used to mainly use brown eggs and noticed white eggs are a little easier. I finally found something that seems to work for me. I just can't believe I finally found something that works for me. I mean I tried julia childs method and a million other methods.

I just can’t believe it. Imean I have tried everything under the sun!!! – finally this seems to work for me. I just can’t believe it.

I bought some large white eggs grocery shopping today and used those and it worked ONCE again.

1. Brought a pan of water to boil. I brought it to a good boil, but not a rolling boil
2. THAN I put my eggs in with some tongs carefully.
3. I let it boil for 13 minutes. When it was about 8 minutes left, it had come to a ROLLING boil as a fyi
4. Than I drained the water and poured cold water from the tap on them to stop the cooking process
5. Than I just let it cool down a little and peeled them.

*Note* When peeling them I took advise I read before and started down on the bigger part of the egg. If you look at the 2 sides of the egg, one side is a little larger than the other side. It’s like narrower/skinnier on one end.
Start with the end that is a little bigger.

My Blog
legend_018 is offline   Reply With Quote