Any spices to spice up the taste of hard boiled eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another vote for matching the pan to the task when deep frying small amounts of food.

You could also try using a fatty sausage and baking them.

I don't deep fry that often either, unless I'm in the mood for my vegetable tempura.

An alternative to deep frying that works with some dishes is instead of filling up a whole fryer with oil (I even experience anxiety just dumping oil into the small Fry Daddy :LOL:) is I'll get a small saucepan and use that, if I've only got a small amount to fry. I don't feel like I'm wasting oil doing it that way and I imagine scotch eggs would work okay in the saucepan? Might need to turn them once or twice, but it would be a way to fry up a small amount of eggs without dragging out the Fry Daddy. I also have one of those bigger digital deep fryers with the basket that lowers down into it, etc, but I've only used it once or twice. That's for big jobs, like large amounts of fries or other foods that take up a good amount of room.
Yeah, maybe one at a time in a sauce pan and turn them part way through cooking. I was imagining shallow frying them in skillet and it just didn't seem like it would work. I would be afraid that they would lose their shape or their sausage, if you had to move them. But, if they are submerged some more than halfway, then their should be enough cooked and firmed up crust on one side to be able to turn them without making a mess of it. They are quite large. If I remember correctly, I would say they are about softball sized. It's been years since I had a Scotch egg and many decades since I handled a softball.

About the oil, it isn't just wasting it. It's the fuss of getting rid of it.

I use a small wok for deep frying.
I go through stages, crisps, french fries, krupuk, emping, tempeh.
But I also use some of the deep frying oil for "normal" dishes. A little goes into dog food and sometimes I use toilet paper soaked in oil to light the bbq

Yeah, maybe one at a time in a sauce pan and turn them part way through cooking. I was imagining shallow frying them in skillet and it just didn't seem like it would work. I would be afraid that they would lose their shape or their sausage, if you had to move them. But, if they are submerged some more than halfway, then their should be enough cooked and firmed up crust on one side to be able to turn them without making a mess of it. They are quite large. If I remember correctly, I would say they are about softball sized. It's been years since I had a Scotch egg and many decades since I handled a softball.

About the oil, it isn't just wasting it. It's the fuss of getting rid of it.
Very good points with the pan-frying thing. And I completely agree with what you said about getting rid of the oil. What I started doing, years ago, is waiting until the oil is completely cooled, then pouring it into a zipper bag and tossing it out.

Very good points with the pan-frying thing. And I completely agree with what you said about getting rid of the oil. What I started doing, years ago, is waiting until the oil is completely cooled, then pouring it into a zipper bag and tossing it out.
I don't want to waste a zipper bag, unless it is is used and too grotty for recycling.

I don't want to waste a zipper bag, unless it is is used and too grotty for recycling.
I understand that. Which is why I save 'used' bags, as long as they're not too dirty. And even if I don't have a used one available, it's the easiest way I can think of to get rid of old oil.

I use whatever empty bottles available or I use a produce bag from food store.
Produce bags are a good idea, which would definitely save having to use a zipper bag. Again, I save used zipper bags specifically for getting rid of oil (or other 'yucky' kitchen tossouts) but I'll keep the produce bag suggestion in mind as well.

Produce bags are a good idea, which would definitely save having to use a zipper bag. Again, I save used zipper bags specifically for getting rid of oil (or other 'yucky' kitchen tossouts) but I'll keep the produce bag suggestion in mind as well.
Doubled if necessary.

I pour into an old bottle or can. Place in freezer til garbage day. Toss into an old produce bag and out the the curb it goes.
I don't freeze, we have a dumpster in the complex, so it just goes out when the trash can is full.

I guess I could save the plastic containers that have recycling code 5. My city doesn't recycle that kind of plastic, so it ends up in the garbage anyways. Okay, they do have a special waste collection in the parking lot of city hall twice a year where I think you can bring it. But, I'm not washing that extra garbage and storing it and then have to bring it to city hall.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom