Ricotta Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is some mighty good comfort food. The directions are for the microwave - I don't like "cooking" in the microwave. I use these ingredients & cook it on the stove & bake it in the oven.

Tomato, Bacon & Cheese Supper

1 medium onion chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup milk
3 eggs well beaten
3 cups Stove Top stuffing mix (in canister)
1 cup shredded swiss cheese
2 large tomatoes chopped
8 slices bacon cooked & crumbled
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Instructions: Place onion & butter in 3 qt microwavable casserole. Cover loosely with wax paper.

Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Stir in ricotta, milk & eggs. Stir in stuffing mix, 3/4 cup of Swiss cheese, tomatoes, bacon & pepper until well mixed. Cover loosely with wax paper.

Microwave 10 minutes, stirring halfway thru cooking time. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Swiss. Let stand 5 minutes.

How much of ricotta you have left? You can do a lot of things with ricotta, mix with a little spinach, egg and your choice of cheese and do a cannelloni, well if you are already pasta'ed out how about a savoury pie/quiche with more eggs, some other combinations of cheese, throwing in some vegs and/or bacon, ham etc...
If you have enough, there are many delicious versions of ricotta cakes .. if it is still fresh enough to eat it uncooked, it makes a great snack just mixed with a little sugar, shaved dark chocolate and candied fruit pieces!!

If you only have a spoonful or 2 mix it with a sliced

peach or plum and a tiny bit of sugar. I've been eating this for breakfast for the last 4 days just to use up the cheese.

Eggplant Rollatini, ziti/sausage/tomato/ricotta bake, ricotta cheesecake, white pizza (a recent thread is posted here), stuffed shells - are a few ideas.

I agree with Lizannd - when I don't have enough ricotta left over for another recipe, I just have it for breakfast or lunch with some fruit &/or a drizzle of honey.

I'd go along with Urmaniac, but rather than stuffing pasta, I'd make Crespoline alla Fiorentina, pancakes stuffed with a chopped spinach and ricotta-based mixture and baked in the oven with tomato sauce and bechamel. Yum.

Or, for something simpler that doesn't require much ricotta, I sometimes make a sauce with garlic, chopped spinach and ricotta (or cottage cheese - the extra liquid in cottage cheese works well and the 'lumps' of cheese hold their shape better) and serve it with spaghetti. That feels like cheating because it could hardly be easier, but it still tastes good, almost like comfort food. And most people wouldn't say that about spinach!

If you have enough, mix it with just a few drops of olive oil and use it as a pizza sauce instead of tomato sauce.

Snoop Puss said:
I'd go along with Urmaniac, but rather than stuffing pasta, I'd make Crespoline alla Fiorentina, pancakes stuffed with a chopped spinach and ricotta-based mixture and baked in the oven with tomato sauce and bechamel. Yum.

Snoop, I have not had that for years and it used to be my favourite! Thanks for reminding me.:)

Back
Top Bottom