"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 04-09-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Good question VickiQ, the answer to which I do not know - poetic, eh - but I'll look around and see if I can come up with something.

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
This is what I was able to find: Flavour: rich, full, aromatic and powerful. Madagascar and Mexico making the best quality. Indonesian and Tahitian vanilla is weaker and considered inferior.

Click the blue underlined link to find out where I got it.

Have fun...

Aad Sach Sing

- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
Old 04-09-2006, 09:15 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiQ
What's the difference between Madagascar vanilla and regular vanilla- I just bought a bottle yesterday quite by accident-figured I better ask before I use it.Thanks in advance.Love and energy, Vicki
Madagacar tastes better, Vicki. I was given a bottle as a gift and I absolutely adore it! It's more .... vanilla-y.

Lee
Old 04-10-2006, 07:51 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I am not sure what you mean by, regular vanilla. Do you mean what is normally available from an average grocery store? Madagascar vanilla means the location of the vanilla beans, in this case, the Bourbon Islands of Madagascar. This vanilla will have a more intense vanilla flavor. You can get by with using a bit less of Madagascar vanilla than regular store bought vanilla. I would have thought you might notice a bit of a price difference between regular and Madagascar vanilla, with the Madagascar being noticably more expensive.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMorin
This is what I was able to find: Flavour: rich, full, aromatic and powerful. Madagascar and Mexico making the best quality. Indonesian and Tahitian vanilla is weaker and considered inferior.

Click the blue underlined link to find out where I got it.

Have fun...
Thank you Bri for all the wonderful information . I can't wait to use it mow- I still have alittle of the "regular" stuff to finish but, I will be doing ALOT of baking over the next several weeks!
Old 04-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
I am not sure what you mean by, regular vanilla. Do you mean what is normally available from an average grocery store? Madagascar vanilla means the location of the vanilla beans, in this case, the Bourbon Islands of Madagascar. This vanilla will have a more intense vanilla flavor. You can get by with using a bit less of Madagascar vanilla than regular store bought vanilla. I would have thought you might notice a bit of a price difference between regular and Madagascar vanilla, with the Madagascar being noticably more expensive.
I purchase vanilla and most of my baking goods at Costco because I do so much baking. I just grabbed a bottle from the same manufacturer-actually the only vanilla available and there really wasn't a difference in price.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:15 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
Madagacar tastes better, Vicki. I was given a bottle as a gift and I absolutely adore it! It's more .... vanilla-y.

Lee
Thanks Lee- I won't tell my husband that it's more vanilla-yLOL Because it will disappear!!
Old 04-10-2006, 11:22 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiQ
Thank you Bri for all the wonderful information . I can't wait to use it mow- I still have alittle of the "regular" stuff to finish but, I will be doing ALOT of baking over the next several weeks!
More than a pleasure VickiQ. I have a pod in my cupboard, and I am not quite sure what to do with it. Oh ya, I've read about it but it isn't like talking to someone who knows what there doing.

Have you had experiance with the vanilla pod per chance?

P.S. have fun with your baking! - Excuse my ingnorance but can you tell me what "MOW" means.

Aad Sach Sing

Old 04-11-2006, 07:36 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMorin
More than a pleasure VickiQ. I have a pod in my cupboard, and I am not quite sure what to do with it. Oh ya, I've read about it but it isn't like talking to someone who knows what there doing.

Have you had experiance with the vanilla pod per chance?

P.S. have fun with your baking! - Excuse my ingnorance but can you tell me what "MOW" means.
Sorry BRi that was a typo- I meant now- I haven't had any experieince with a vanilla pod-sorry-I do have a few recipes that call for it but, I somehow haven't tried any yet-maybe this is my incentive!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 08:22 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Sorry I missed this thread earlier...This is our delicious TNT cheesecake recipe. This one became one of our favourite desserts and a big hit with just about every guests!!

400g/14oz. ricotta
350g/12oz. mascarpone
300g/10,5 oz sugar
3 eggs
juice of half lemon
a few drops of vanilla essence
50g of flour
(optional) 60g of ground pistacchio, or 50ml of Irish Creme whisky

some butter and bread crumbs for the form

beat cheeses and sugar together until smooth. add 1 egg at a time, each time blending well. Add the rest of the ingredients, blend together until they are all smooth.
Pour in a form lightly buttered and dusted evenly with breadcrumbs, bake for 45minutes at 180°C/350°F - 1 hour, or until the surface is golden brown. Turn off the oven, but leave the cake inside without opening it, let it sit for 2 hours.

*if you can find it, try it with ricotta di pecora (made with sheep milk) or bufala (buffalo milk), as they are much richer and creamier in flavour. Then you can increase the amount of the ricotta and reduce the amount of mascarpone.
** you can also experiment with some other additions, like ground hazel nuts, blueberries (coat the blueberries with flour to prevent excess liquid oozing into the batter), currants etc...

There are many variations of "Torta di ricotta" (ricotta cake) in Italy. I will post some more if you are interested!

Tags
None