"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 11-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #51
Head Chef

I just tried this. Now I am often leary of cooking shortcuts because I find that they seldom come up to the quality of longer tried and true methods. But this is now my new method for cooking soft boiled eggs. I heated my water in a coffee cup for 1 1/2 minutes and cracked an egg into it. Then nuked it for one minute. It was a little tight so next time I will nuke it for only 45 seconds after adding the egg. But I have to say it was delicious and it was much prettier than the soft boiled eggs or even the poached eggs that I normally make. I'm convinced.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #52
Head Chef

Oh man I just had a thought (and an original thought...imagine that!). It's going to take a little experimenting but I'll bet you could do huevos rancheros this way. Now I "gotta" try it.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Oh man I just had a thought (and an original thought...imagine that!). It's going to take a little experimenting but I'll bet you could do huevos rancheros this way. Now I "gotta" try it.
No kidding joesfolk! I can't wait to try in in the morning with a cup full of salsa and a toasted tortilla Ole..

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #54
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
No kidding joesfolk! I can't wait to try in in the morning with a cup full of salsa and a toasted tortilla Ole..
Let me know how it turns out!
Old 11-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #55
Master Chef

I have to admit complete failure. I ruined 3 eggs; none of them cooked properly or cook at all. First one after one minute was completely uncooked. The second one after 2 minutes was still uncooked. The third one exploded after 2.5 minutes but still was not cooked evenly, yolk and some part of the white were cooked but some parts of the white were still runny. Those of you, who have succeeded. Please explain/tell me, please, what you did exactly. Step by step. Starting with the temperature of the egg and so on. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #56
Master Chef

Charlie, with so many folks having such great results the logical conclusion is something is wrong with your microwave. Have you had trouble with other food in it?
Is your dish rotating inside? If you have one without a turn table, maybe that's the problem.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #57
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I have to admit complete failure. I ruined 3 eggs; none of them cooked properly or cook at all. First one after one minute was completely uncooked. The second one after 2 minutes was still uncooked. The third one exploded after 2.5 minutes but still was not cooked evenly, yolk and some part of the white were cooked but some parts of the white were still runny. Those of you, who have succeeded. Please explain/tell me, please, what you did exactly. Step by step. Starting with the temperature of the egg and so on. Thank you in advance.
Charlie, to factors are important. The power level of your microwave and how much water you used. I'd go with a cup (8fl. oz.) of water for a minute. I just used tap water that wasn't hot or ice cold. Depending on the power of the microwave a minute will be too much, too little or just right. You have to adjust accordingly. Remember, this is to be soft boiled not hard.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #58
Master Chef

Andy, what about the egg, was it room temperature, or was it from fridge?

I did have an 8 oz cup. Water was tap room temp.

Kayelle, I do not think there is anything wrong with my MW, works just fine with other stuff.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #59
Certified Pretend Chef

I used the egg right out of the refrigerator. I microwaved the cup with the egg and water for one minute and it as a little under cooked. The yolk and some of the white were soft boiled but there was uncooked white remaining. I had to run it a little longer.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #60
Sous Chef

59 messages, and it took to #57 message before there is any mention of microwave oven power level / setting.

sorry to be such a prig, but you folks be not all too well informed / educated / experienced about microwave ovens.

having spent way way too much time "on the road" living in extended stay / et. al. type facilities that have a kitchen consisting of a fridge, microwave and a sink - I can cook an egg poached to soft boiled to hard boiled to scrambled in any microwave of your choice given a couple days to experiment and take notes.

the "water in the cup with the egg" does one thing - it "moderates" the temperature achieved by the microwave oven. there's a setting - putting the power setting on half/ 50% does the same thing as adding a bunch of water in a cup.

if an egg "explodes" in the microwave it is simply because the water in the egg "suddenly and instantaneously" reaches the boiling point, turning to steam, steam which has a multi-thousand time volumetric existence - thus "exploding" all over the inside of the microwave.

having done more than a few eggs on the road in the microwave, I have never exploded an egg. then again, I know about the power level settings thing....

Tags
egg, eggs, oil