"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 07-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #11
Executive Chef
To my taste it makes for a subpar cheeseburger. Cripes, how lazy can you get?

justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:32 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Alot of places here and people including me dont use a cheese sauce on nachos we just put a bunch of shredded cheese in layers straight on top of tortilla chips with what ever else you want like beans,or beef or chicken,jalpenos or green chili pop in oven till melted really good and then have salsa,guacamole and sourcream on the side as a dip.So,so very good.

jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:41 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
For a basic cup & a half or so of sauce, melt 1 tablespoon of butter & then add 1 tablespoon of flour & stir for a minute or so to allow the flour to cook but NOT brown. Then slowly add one of cup of milk, while raising the heat & stirring constantly. As the sauce begins to thicken, start adding your grated cheddar cheese a half-handful at a time, stirring & tasting until the sauce reaches the cheeziness & thickness you want.

And there you go.

Same sauce can be made with any cheese you desire - swiss, gruyere, blue, whatever.

For larger amounts - just double the basic sauce ingredients - 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of flour, 2 cups of milk, etc., etc.

In addition, if you want a thinner sauce, just stir in more milk after the sauce begins to thicken.
Thanks so much, Breezy and jpmcgrew. I just happened to read this thread today and then tonight, the kids wanted broccoli with dinner. One mentioned he wanted to sprinkle some shredded cheese on his and then I remembered this thread. Your instructions and descriptions were so clear that I actually made my first cheese sauce tonight and it was spectacular! Woo Hoo!!! There was no broccoli left! The 4 year old ate all of his and asked for more! I'm telling you, for a minute there I felt like Julia Child.
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:25 AM   #14
Assistant Cook
I am highly impressed about your interest and experimenting nature. Even I would like to join you in this experiment. I can gift you a packet of cheese gift,with that you can divert your cooking art furthermore.
john123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #15
Master Chef
Glad it worked so well for you Fisher's Mom!

Another tip - if you ever want to make a "cheese sauce" for say, plain baked or grilled chicken breasts, etc., etc., & don't want it so "milky", you can sub in chicken broth for part or all of the milk.

Experiment - it's what makes cooking fun. And unless you're using truffles, lobster, or some other uber-pricey ingredient, what do you have to lose if something doesn't work out?

That's the way I look at it anyway. :)

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote