"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 03-21-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
Head Chef

What's your favorite recipe that used gorgonzola cheese?

Hi. What's your favorite recipe that uses gorgonzola cheese? I bet it would go great in a salad especially since I love blue cheese in a salad. Anyone have a particular recipe that they absolutely love due to the gorgonzola cheese?

Old 03-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I had a pear and gorgonzola salad that was wonderful, but I don't have a recipe, ate it at a restaurant and it had a walnut vinaigrette. I think it was on arugula.

I like making a dill rye and Gorgonzola grilled cheese sandwich.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:55 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I do a salad that sounds similar, PF.

mesculin
sliced beets
julienned pear
candied walnuts
crumbled gorgonzola
balsamic vinaigrette

But your idea of a walnut vinaigrette sounds wonderful! I think I'm going hunting for a recipe.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
Executive Chef

This is the late and very generous Kadesma’s Gorgonzola and Pear Salad that I have made. I like how she wrote out recipes with instructions as you go.

Grill or toast 4 slices of Italian bread til crispy. Arrange on plates or a small platter the arugula,2 thin sliced fennels, pears 2 thin sliced and 200 g. of gorgonzola crumbles. To serve drizzle over a little balsamic white or red and evoo then hit it with salt and coarse cracked black pepper. this will serve 4 as a starter or side dish.
--
This must be my interpretation of Kade's recipe since I wrote it in my notes when I saved her recipe
o 1/2 cup walnut or pecan halves, toasted
o about 4 cups arugula or torn salad greens, trimmed washed & dried
o 1/2 cup balsamic or red wine vinaigrette
o 2 to 3 pears, cored & sliced Don't Peel PEARS
o Radish slices
o cuke peeled, seeded and cut in half moons
o peapods sliced on diagonal
o small red onion sliced thin
o 1/4 lb gorgonzola, crumbled
Old 03-21-2015, 07:06 PM   #5
Head Chef

a had some asparagus I needed to cook and ended up heating up some broth and then cooking the asparagus in it, blending it with the immersion blender at the end. When I heat a bowl up, I'd like to try putting some of the cheese in it. Let it melt in the heat of the soup, add some salt and pepper.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
Master Chef

We used to have a restaurant in town called Chumley's that made a Gorgonzola cheese french bread pizza thing that was wonderful!

It was a quarter of a baguette covered with a spread made from Gorgonzola, herbs and butter that was liberally smeared on the baguette and run under the broiler until it was bubbly. Sort of a Gorgonzola compound butter on toast.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #7
Head Chef

Went to a restaurant in philly years ago that made a Cheese tortellini with a creamy tomato / gorgonzola sauce.

It was great. Went back there a few years later to order the same thing, and the place had switched owners ( and apparently chefs) and unfortunately, it was off the menu. Ive tried to recreate it the best to my memory, but nothing ever compared.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Went to a restaurant in philly years ago that made a Cheese tortellini with a creamy tomato / gorgonzola sauce.

It was great. Went back there a few years later to order the same thing, and the place had switched owners ( and apparently chefs) and unfortunately, it was off the menu. Ive tried to recreate it the best to my memory, but nothing ever compared.

I wonder if you added a dabble of wine to the sauce if it might improve its character ?
Old 03-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
We used to have a restaurant in town called Chumley's that made a Gorgonzola cheese french bread pizza thing that was wonderful!

It was a quarter of a baguette covered with a spread made from Gorgonzola, herbs and butter that was liberally smeared on the baguette and run under the broiler until it was bubbly. Sort of a Gorgonzola compound butter on toast.
Okay, now I have to go play with the bleu cheese in the fridge, no baguette, but I could put it on a plate or in a bowl and use celery sticks to dip.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
This is the late and very generous Kadesma’s Gorgonzola and Pear Salad that I have made. I like how she wrote out recipes with instructions as you go.

Grill or toast 4 slices of Italian bread til crispy. Arrange on plates or a small platter the arugula,2 thin sliced fennels, pears 2 thin sliced and 200 g. of gorgonzola crumbles. To serve drizzle over a little balsamic white or red and evoo then hit it with salt and coarse cracked black pepper. this will serve 4 as a starter or side dish.
--
This must be my interpretation of Kade's recipe since I wrote it in my notes when I saved her recipe
o 1/2 cup walnut or pecan halves, toasted
o about 4 cups arugula or torn salad greens, trimmed washed & dried
o 1/2 cup balsamic or red wine vinaigrette
o 2 to 3 pears, cored & sliced Don't Peel PEARS
o Radish slices
o cuke peeled, seeded and cut in half moons
o peapods sliced on diagonal
o small red onion sliced thin
o 1/4 lb gorgonzola, crumbled
This sounds so good. So do the other suggestions. I've only had gorgonzola once or twice - going to have to get some and make this.

Tags
cheese, recipe

What's your favorite recipe that used gorgonzola cheese? Hi. What's your favorite recipe that uses gorgonzola cheese? I bet it would go great in a salad especially since I love blue cheese in a salad. Anyone have a particular recipe that they absolutely love due to the gorgonzola cheese? 3 stars 1 reviews