"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 08-05-2006, 08:05 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Rats, what a buzzkill, Andy . It sure sounded like kids would have loved this.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

And 13 minutes is 'way too long for anything but rubber eggs. If you want to do it--and I thought it would be a good camping idea--you could use FoodSaver bags. But DEFINITELY a shorter time, at least for my taste.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:25 AM   #23
Head Chef

Hi everyone,
I did make these omelets, as I said, and cooked them for the 13 minutes. They were perfect, not rubbery at all.

Regarding boiling the food in the bags, I don't think carcinogens are the problem, I think it could be a possible melting problem. They also say not to roast with them . However, you can put them in the microwave. Sooo, I think I'll still make these with my kiddos.

Lyndalou
Old 08-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou
Hi everyone,
I did make these omelets, as I said, and cooked them for the 13 minutes. They were perfect, not rubbery at all.

Regarding boiling the food in the bags, I don't think carcinogens are the problem, I think it could be a possible melting problem. They also say not to roast with them . However, you can put them in the microwave. Sooo, I think I'll still make these with my kiddos.

Lyndalou
Glad it worked.
The carcinogen problem was actually a direct quote from the ZipLoc manufacturers but like many of these warnings you would probably have to eat them 8 times a day for 1000 years. It would definitely not survive roasting and also typical of manufacturers warnings, who have to account for any dim witted thing someone might do--OR someone might think they are the same as a roasting bag.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:50 AM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Manufacturers in general try to hide any deficiencies in their products. For one to say "do not boil these bags", there must be a good reason!

Is it that hard to make scrambled eggs in a pan?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:23 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

I'd just say that, no, it isn't that hard to make an omelet in a pan--for one or two. I think this is a really cute idea for a camping or picnic trip for a group. Each one can make what they want and then a number of them can be cooked at one time. And cleanup is not only easy but "to each his own". I think the manufacturers do have to do a CYA--and there is undoubtedly a modicum of truth to it. But so is the carcinogens in grilling meat on charcoal, and I'll bet not many of us have stopped doing that. ;o)
Old 08-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #27
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Manufacturers in general try to hide any deficiencies in their products. For one to say "do not boil these bags", there must be a good reason!
I was about to say the same thing, Andy! The other is that,,, one thing we're learning about carcinogens... and for some the awful, hard way, is that every body does not react to them in the same way. For me, I might be able to do it once a week all my life and never get cancer, for someone else, it might only take once == or twice. When the mfg tells you don't, it's a good idea to listen.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:48 AM   #28
Master Chef

Oh please - not this old chestnut again!! This "plastic bag omelette" thing has been making the internet rounds for several years now, & if you have any sense you WON'T DO IT!!

Not only are the plastic food storage bag manufacturers probably getting tired of e-mailing people back telling them for the umpteenth time that their products are NOT meant to be used for cooking - either in boiling water or the microwave, but just take a minute to think about this. If it was safe, don't you think the plastic food storage bag people would be advertising this like all get out???!!!???

Use a little common sense - & your omelette pans for that matter. The novelty of cooking a couple of eggs in a plastic bag isn't worth jeopardizing your health - or you kids' health. And exactly what are you teaching them by using a cooking method that the manufacturer is saying without a doubt is bad for you?
Old 08-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #29
Head Chef

Well.now that many of you have come close to putting me in the moron category, I will repeat. I have a ziploc box in front of me and there are microwave instructions on it. You can defrost and reheat in the bags. I am not about to ever jeapordize my grandkids health for any reason, and don't appreciate people who don't know me assuming that I would do such a thing.

This may be old to you, but it was a new idea to me, and i thought it would be fun to share it. It is not just scrambling eggs, it actually forms an omelet, but i guess that wouldn't interest you.

Obviously, I was wrong. Guess I'll think twice before I post anything again.
Lyndalou
Old 08-06-2006, 04:43 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Lyndalou, with the exception of one particular post, I don't think anyone was trying to say that you're a moron. Because the threads and posts on here are so readily accessible by both guests and search engines, I think they were just trying to discourage those reading the thread whose cooking skills are sub-par, and may take the plastic bag method as an end-all way too cook other things in order to cut down on clean up, etc. There are many cooks out there who really don't understand even basic concepts, and who knows? They might conclude that if you can cook an omelet in a ziploc bag, you might be able to make a pot roast in one too.

Tags
None