"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Old 05-16-2006, 04:04 PM   #11
Executive Chef
After my bread has cooled, I put the loaf in a plastic zip lock bag and leave it on the counter. The next day, I slice it and store it in the freezer. The slices easily separate in the frozen state. I only remove from the freezer bag what I need and put the rest back in the freezer. This keeps the bread very well. I believe keeping the bread in the frig does dry it out.

bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:49 PM   #12
Master Chef
Originally Posted by GB
I hate bread that has been in the fridge or freezer. I find it really dries it out quite a lot.
GB, you have to put it in the freezer when it is still fresh, and make sure the covering is air-tight. I haved tasted bread out of the freezer that tastes like it was freshly baked.
Putting bread in the fridge, though, is a bg mistake. It gets hard and stale very quickly. My mother always did that, so it wouldn't moldy, and the bread was always cold and dry.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:56 PM   #13
Head Chef
Put your fresh bread into a paper bag, then put the paper bag into a plastic one (one from the grocery store works perfectly). A friend taught me this, it will even keep baguettes "fresh" for three to four days.

Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:10 AM   #14
Senior Cook
Zereh: You know in the past (a long time ago) when I first got to Florida from Iowa, someone told me that little trick because handling bread down here is different than anywhere else because of the humidity.
I'll have to try that.
And thank you all for the good help.
I think I will also try the slice and freeze trick and get out what I need for a few days and so forth.
All sounds good kids! Thank you all again.

pckouris is offline   Reply With Quote