"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 04-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Baking stones

Who uses a baking stone? Except for loaves for sandwiches, I balka all of my bread on a stone. I am considering one or two Fibrament stones. FibraMent Baking Stone Available For Home Use! - bakingstone.com

Anyone have one? Any opinions?

Thank You

AC

Old 04-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Who uses a baking stone? Except for loaves for sandwiches, I balka all of my bread on a stone. I am considering one or two Fibrament stones. FibraMent Baking Stone Available For Home Use! - bakingstone.com

Anyone have one? Any opinions?

Thank You

AC
I don't know anything about that brand, but I have two Pampered Chef baking stones, and I love them. They're much less expensive than those Fibrament stones.

Large Round Stone : Stoneware : The Pampered Chef, Ltd.

HTH.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
Head Chef

I have 3 ... 2 round and one rectangular. That's all we use - for everything! I would love to get a few loaf pans. Love them!!
Old 04-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I use my pampered chef stones all the time - two round stones, two jelly rolls (bar pans)- one large and one medium, loaf pan, deep dish pie plate, round casserole and 8x8 - they are wonderful!
Old 04-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
Cook

Baking Stone for Pizza

I want to bake a frozen pizza on a baking stone. Will that work? Thanks for any comments. Betsy.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I have one baking stone, a large Pampered Chef one. I don't use it very much, but it bakes great! What I don't like about it is it's so heavy and either it's hard to get off of the oven rack or I have to use that rack thing under it. Another thing is that when I scrape that stoneware with a metal spoon, it grates and gives me goosebumps. So, I never bought more stoneware, but I agree that stoneware bakes well and even.

And yes, mittshel, I've baked frozen pizza on mine (works good), although we prefer pizza directly on the oven rack for a crispier crust.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittshel View Post
I want to bake a frozen pizza on a baking stone. Will that work? Thanks for any comments. Betsy.

Putting a frozen pizza on a super hot stone in the oven will probably cause the stone to break from thermal shock.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:57 PM   #8
Cook

Frozen Pizza

I baked the pizza on the stone before I saw your post, Andy. It worked perfect. Used the conv. oven and until I master a homemade pizza, no more $20+ pizzas for us. Thanks again for the help.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Andy is exactly right, and you also want a good 80% of your surface area covered. Ideally, you want whatever you're cooking and the stone to come to temperature at the same time to prevent thermal shock. Areas where there is no food will come to temperature before the rest of the stone and MAY cause a problem if dense or frozen. The one exception would be for homemade pizza ... in that case I preheat the stone and put the pizza together on a pizza paddle and move to the stone when it's screamin hot.

I have every stone PC has ever made and wouldn't be without 'em, except my first deep dish baker that was perfectly seasoned and just gorgeous and my dear hubby shattered. Waaaaaaaaaaaah.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:49 AM   #10
Cook

Pizza Stone

Andrea - Let me make sure I get this right. Put the frozen pizza on the room temp. stone and put them in a preheated oven? Correct? Thanks for the help. Betsy.

Tags
None