"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 08-08-2006, 09:00 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza
Just to update, my first basic white bread turned out great! I tried the French bread receipe and it was suppose to be lighter in texture but it tasted the same as the basic bread?! My next attempt is to try and make the dough - pizza as my daughter is asking for it and cinnamon buns, my fav!

Thks Drama Queen, i'll look out for breadmachine cook books

one thing is for sure, we'll be buying less of the commercial bread from now on - there's just nothing nicer than waking up to a fresh loaf of home made bread!
There aren't too many things that can top the aroma of freshly baked bread and you have the added bonus of not having a ton of preservatives in your bread. It doesn't keep as long as store-bought bread but in my house, the loaf is gone in a flash.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:41 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I think I've got one of the first bread machines ever manufactured. It's about 25 years old and weighs a ton. It's also indestructable and I wouldn't part with it for the world.

Bread baking, to me, is cathartic and I prefer to do it by hand (or in my kitchen aide!) but there are times when the machine is the method of choice, especially when my hands are needed elsewhere.

I cannot recall how many times we woke to the smell of baking bread. You are going to love it. I am not crazy about the shape of the finished product, however. Mine makes a round loaf, about 6 inches diameter, and about 7 inches high. I usually let the machine do the work and then hand shape the dough to my specs.

It's great great great for making pizza dough too!

Tags
None