"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 03-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #21
Cook

Send a message via MSN to Sage
I have been using a bread machine for at least 10 years( this is my second one).I have never had the arm strength to do the kneeding; my machine B&D
does the work on the dough cycle.I then remove it fromthe pan and shape it and bake it inthe oven.I would be lost without it.

Old 03-18-2006, 11:30 AM   #22
Senior Cook

I use my Bread Machine exclusively for the mixing of the dough. Everything I bake is set on the "Dough" setting. This completes the mixing and goes through the first rise in the machine.
This is all I use the machine for. I tried the baking cycle however I was not satisfied with the out come of the breads.
This way I can get very good breads by punching it down and forming it into loaves or baggettes, let rise again and then slice the tops and paint with water or whatever and go from there into the oven.
For me, breads have been turning out just great this way.
Here are pictures of my latest, Sourdough Bread. Turned out just sensational!
PS: If I can remember how to add the photos, I will.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	113250308869.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	1179   Click image for larger version

Name:	113254533765.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1180  

Click image for larger version

Name:	113254558597.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	1181  

Old 03-19-2006, 10:03 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

I'm thinking of getting a bread machine, mainly for producing the dough, but the odd finished item when time is short. Are there things I should be looking for in a good machine - and maybe avoiding ? Any advice and tips would be most welcome. One tip I do have is if you are selling your house bake bread on viewing days - no more homely smell than fresh baked bread !
Old 03-20-2006, 01:46 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

5 cents per loaf - 1 minute of labor

i buy bulk yeast from sams or a resturant supply house (2 lb packages put it in a jar with lid in refrigerator. buy 5 lb bags of flour when they go on sale at the grocery. I make a loaf daily so i buy 40 or so 5 lb bags at 69 or 79 cents per bag. Check the expiration date to make sure it is 2 or 3 years out.
I pour 1 coffey mug of cold tap water (do not pay attention to the directions water temperature does not matter). 1 tbs salt, 1/2 cup sugar, 2tbs of veg oil. I keep a duplicate coffey mug in the plastic container of flour ( I like a 3 gallon container with lid.) dip the mug and scrape the top with a chopstick)
3 cups of flour. 1 heaping tsp of yeast.
Put the container in the machine turn on for a 2 lb loaf.
My Bread Station is on the end of the counter, takes less than one minute to add ingredients and start the machine.
Invest one minute, 5 cents and get a fresh perfict 2 lb loaf of fresh bread.
The real no brainer. Ive made many hundreds of loaf over the years.

I have a recipe for bread machine dog treats.My 5 dogs love them. If anyone that has a bread machine is intrested let me know.

Bob
Old 03-20-2006, 11:41 AM   #25
Executive Chef

I use my bread machine several times a week, for 10 years now. I mostly make whole wheat bread in loaves, completing the whole cycle in the machine. And I use the dough cycle for rolls and pizza crusts. I currently have a Zojirushi and am pleased with it. Just consider what you want to use it for and look for those features in a machine. I am very particular about my ingredients and make almost all foods we eat from scratch from home produced foods or organically produced store bought ingredients. I would not be without a bread machine, or my kitchen aide stand mixer or slow cooker or dish washer!!! Isn't electricity wonderful?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:54 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

Bobingreen please post the recipie for the dog treats ????? My dog would love you for it !!!

Summergirl
Old 03-21-2006, 06:58 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

Bethzaring I also have the zojirushi machine just bought it in January.I was thinking my panasonic was due too die out but that is still going strong so now I use both machines.Have you tried the jams in your zojirushi ?? I made the strawberry jam came out excellent.

Summergirl
Old 03-21-2006, 07:24 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Hi Summergirl, No I have not made jam in my bread machine, I usually can my jam.I was thinking about the original post, that Walmart only offered one brand of machine. I think this has more to do with their purchasing philosophy rather than the decline in interest of bread machines. A few years ago I was shocked to discover Walmart only carried one brand of Christmas tree lights. They must do that to squeeze the lowest possible price out of the supplier.......only one reason I no longer shop at Walmart, the lack of brands offered
Old 03-22-2006, 04:52 AM   #29
Senior Cook

wow pete!

i want to buy a breadmaker now!
Old 03-23-2006, 11:43 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Sourdough success.

I can't tell you all how good the sourdough bread(s) came out. Just very good. I made some large loaves and also some long baggettes. They were well received by my "test" friends!
I'm going to do it again and start over with new starter and all.

However, I am thinking of getting a mixer because I would like to make more than several loaves at a time. (A larger capacity.)

Tags
None