"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 07-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to msalper
Can I keep yeast dough for a long time?

After kneading yeast dough enough and being sure if it has risen perfectly, can we keep it in refrigerator or special pot, I don't know, for a week or more?

Old 07-27-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
moved to specific forum

Old 07-27-2005, 10:34 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

Let's get this thread bumped back up to the top.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:06 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalper
After kneading yeast dough enough and being sure if it has risen perfectly, can we keep it in refrigerator or special pot, I don't know, for a week or more?
Is this the actual dough for bread/rolls/etc.? Or is it more like a yeast sponge?

Yeasties are VERY hardy creatures, as long as you don't heat them past about 110 deg F. In a refridgerator, they will saty viable for quite some time, but they may need some extra time and help "waking up" as the length of storage time increases (Usually some sort of food - sugar and nutrients - and warm temps).

If it's the actual dough for cooking, I'm not 100% sure, but I think it should be alright as long as there isn't anything in the dough that would pose a risk (i.e. raw egg).

John
Old 07-28-2005, 08:10 AM   #5
Executive Chef

As Ronjohn said, yes, you can keep a dough, but the major problem would be it drying out. When we made mega pizza dough at the restaurant, it only held well for 1-2 days before it developed a 'crust' on it, and started drying out, even with it being covered.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:52 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
...When we made mega pizza dough at the restaurant, it only held well for 1-2 days before it developed a 'crust' on it, and started drying out, even with it being covered.
While I make considerably less pizza dough than a restaurant uses, I got excellent results putting the dough ball in an oiled, 2 gallon Ziploc bag to let it proof.

Wondering if proofing dough for dinner rolls would improve the outcome, I tried the same thing for a batch of rolls letting it sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours or so. The rolls cooked fine the next day, but they had a much more distinct yeast flavor.

I now wonder if this flavor would get more intense if left in the fridge longer.

Tom
Old 07-28-2005, 08:53 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath

Let's get this thread bumped back up to the top.
Thanks jkath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
Is this the actual dough for bread/rolls/etc.? Or is it more like a yeast sponge?
In a refridgerator, they will saty viable for quite some time, but they may need some extra time and help "waking up" as the length of storage time increases (Usually some sort of food - sugar and nutrients - and warm temps).
I meant bread dough or pizza dough... My friend told me that some bakers can keep their pizza or bread dough in a special freezing for a week. But He ddidn't know more about that. I wonder if any simple solution to keep them.
Could you please explain more fully about sugar/nutrients? Thank you John...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
you can keep a dough, but the major problem would be it drying out. When we made mega pizza dough at the restaurant, it only held well for 1-2 days before it developed a 'crust' on it, and started drying out, even with it being covered.
How did you keep it? Could you please give me more detail?
Thanks
Old 07-28-2005, 09:03 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomw
While I make considerably less pizza dough than a restaurant uses, I got excellent results putting the dough ball in an oiled, 2 gallon Ziploc bag to let it proof.

Wondering if proofing dough for dinner rolls would improve the outcome, I tried the same thing for a batch of rolls letting it sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours or so. The rolls cooked fine the next day, but they had a much more distinct yeast flavor.

I now wonder if this flavor would get more intense if left in the fridge longer.

Tom
I'm sorry Tom what is the Ziploc bag? Is it similar to aluminium foils?
Was this distinct yeast flavor bad? If not; I can take another step to test it in the ref. for a longer time.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:30 AM   #9
Hospitality Queen

Alper, a Ziploc bag is a clear plastic bag that has a "zipper" type closure at the top. It keeps the air out and keeps foods fresh.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:48 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Thanks jkath.. I have known it already... Sometimes, somehow I'm too lazy searching for smt...

Tags
None