"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 03-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
Cook

Can't get bread to rise

Hi I am trying to make bread but it will not rise. Any suggestions on this recipe please. I am using SR flour.

Honey White Bread

73g Warm water
76g Warm milk
5g Honey
6g Salt
14g Butter
282g Self raising flour
Pour flour into a bowl
Pour the remaining ingredients into a cup and warm in microwave to dissolve the honey and melt butter. Mixing occasionally
Mix into the flour.
Need on a board adding flour occasionally until a dough
Leave to settle for 1 hour
Re knead the dough
Place in a bread tin and cook for 40 minutes at 180c

Old 03-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #2
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I wouldn't use self rising flour. I would suggest you use yeast.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

You're following yeast dough instructions for chemically leavened dough. As Frank said, use bread dough and yeast.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You're following yeast dough instructions for chemically leavened dough. As Frank said, use bread dough and yeast.
Exactly.

You've got a bad recipe on your hands.

Self-rising flour is for making biscuits and quick breads which are dense and really don't rise much at all. And do not require resting and kneading.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Use yeast.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:08 PM   #6
Master Chef

Definitely do not use self rising flour. Unless you are using a very specific manufacturer recipe you have no idea what is in that flour and what it needs to start rising.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #7
Cook

Ok thanks. I thought that using SR flour was the same as plain flour and yeast. I make Peshwari naan bread using
170g self raising flour
8g Sugar
8g Flaked almonds
55ml milk
Using a very hot frying pan and a little oil it works fine. But it doesn't need to rise much.

I do have Backing powder and Dried active yeast. Don't know what I would do to prepare the latter if needed.
There is also fast acting yeast.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
With self-rising flour, it probably needs the heat of the oven to rise properly. It will actually start working a little bit once liquid is added. Leaving it to rise will allow the small amount of CO2 produced by mixing with liquid to off gas and then it won't rise as much in the oven.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

With active dry yeast, you have to bloom it in warm water with a tablespoon of sugar. Mix these ingredients together and let them sit for 10-15 minutes. A beige-colored foam should appear on the surface. That's your indication the yeast is beginning to work. Them you add in the flour and any other ingredients and mix it until it's a homogeneous mass. Knead that mass of dough for 10 minutes then place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap on the surface of the dough and let it sit until it doubles in size. You know it's ready when you stick your finger into the dough and the hole remains. Punch down the dough to deflate it.

Then shape the bread into a loaf or place it into a loaf pan and set it aside to rise again. Then bake and eat.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

When using the dry yeast, you place it in warm water 105-110F. Then the yeast needs to be fed. Give it some flour or a tsp. of sugar. You can even give it both. It will start to ferment and when it is all bubbles, then you add it to the rest of your recipe. I do not care for the fast acting yeast. It can be finicky at times.

Make sure your liquid that you place the yeast in, is not to hot. Too high a heat will kill it. Until you are used to using it, I would suggest you use a thermometer to check the temperature of the liquid. If it is too hot, allow it to cool down some. Then check the temperature again.

In a pinch, you could use All Purpose flour if that is all you have on hand. And make sure you knead it until it no longer sticks to your hands.

Tags
bread, other