"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 12-25-2006, 08:10 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Dried rosemary and thyme for bread recipe?

Hi all. My bread recipe calls for 1 tsp each fresh rosemary and thyme. I only have dried, so how much should I use? Thanx.

Old 12-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Use 1 tablespoon instead, if I remember the fresh to dried conversions, hrmm?

Old 12-25-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Ground herbs should be used in the recipes unless another form is specified. If you substitute fresh herbs, increase the amount.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:38 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_psychosis
Hi all. My bread recipe calls for 1 tsp each fresh rosemary and thyme. I only have dried, so how much should I use? Thanx.

Use fewer dried herbs than fresh, NOT more. A third to a half teaspoon of dried will equal a teaspoon of fresh.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:38 AM   #5
Head Chef

First let me make sure you are talking about ground herbs and not just dried.

The ratio I have always kept in mind is 1 fresh or 1/2 ground, but have always thought that was a little too much of the ground.

So would go with Andy's suggestion.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:05 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Use 2-3 times as much fresh herb as the dried herb called for in a recipe. (To put this in reverse: if the recipe calls for fresh herbs, and you only have dried - use roughly 1/3-1/2 dried herb to the amount of fresh herb required.) Be very, very careful using fresh or dried rosemary whole leaves. People have been known to choke on them, and they can be quite sharp. Best to use dried ground rosemary, or fresh rosemary still on the sprig which you should remove prior to serving the dish.

Or, try chopping the leaves in your food processor. Quick and easy, and the end result is safer. To save time, do a whole heap in one go, and freeze the excess for future use.

I don't freeze thyme or rosemary because I have them growing all year round, but for herbs like parsley or chives, which I harvest more frequently, I chop them and freeze them in a flat pancake. (I don't really need to do this, but I don't fancy going outside if I'm cooking after dark! I have a Thing about walking through a cobweb or treading on a cane toad!) That way, little chunks of appropriate size can be snapped off very easily. In fact, you can separate the whole 'pancake' quite easily without needing to defrost. If you freeze them in a lump, you'll have to defrost the whole lot, or else use a jackhammer to break off what you require.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:59 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I agree with Daisy. 3:1 fresh:dried. Ground herbs? I usually associate "ground" with spices/seeds such as cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, etc. and not herbs (although I know they are available)--sage comes to mind quickly. I grind/powder herbs IF the recipe specifies it, since the amount will be quite different.
For rosemary, I chop fresh or dried--not ground.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:42 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria
Ground herbs should be used in the recipes unless another form is specified. If you substitute fresh herbs, increase the amount.
I disagree. If fresh herbs are called for, I'd never substitute ground, dried. The idea of substituting works only when you copy as closely as possible what the original would have resulted. Fresh herbs have texture and dimension. If you have to used dried, you should use dried, whole herbs.

If a recipe calls for herbs, and 'fresh' is not specified, I'd still not use ground herbs for the same reason mentioned above. Herbs have texture and dimension, qualities ususally desired in any recipe.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:54 PM   #9
Master Chef

I'm guess this is an herb bread recipe ... which also calls for the herbs to be "chopped"? I've made herb breads before using dried herbs and they work just fine.

Since drying herbs reduces their volume (the water evaporates) and concentrates their flavors ... only use 1/3 to 1/2 as much dried as fresh. For herb breads I generally use 1/2 the amount dried as fresh.

As for chopping dried herbs you can crumble them between your fingers, chop the with a knife on your cutting board or if you have a "spice grinder" (I have a cheap Krups coffee grinder that I use exclusively for herbs and spices) you can toss them in there and give thema couple of pulses.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:38 PM   #10
Sous Chef

I furnished my info on herbs quoted from 1978 Betty Crocker's Cookbook New and Revised Edition.

Tags
None