Hot dog buns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, look at it this way, SuzieQ, if they're too light and fluffy they'd fall apart adding all the great stuff to the second brat that you have kindly slowed down to eat for me! :) So they're needs to be a bit of substance to them---btw your picture was gorgeous---you may have 3 rugrats to run after but you know how to hold a camera still:):):)

aha!!!
I had thier mouths stuffed with hotdog bun #10 (9 1/2?) just long enough to hold the thing!
Plus Blue's Clues was on......

I used all-purpose, I thought I still had bread flour and didn't find out I was wrong until the yeast was proofing!

However, you would have used bread flour if you had it. Corrrect? With that answered, would bread flour always be your choice for yeast dough, regardless of what the recipie says? If not, what would influence your choice. Sorry if I am being pushey / nosey. Jist trying to learn.

Last edited:
I would have tried the bread dough, I haven't yet for this recipe.
For French bread, I use it.
For my caramel rolls, I don't. Bread flour has higher gluten content (I believe) and gives bread more chewiness....
That said I dont know if I really want these hot dogs buns real chewy like french bread.
I think I'm going to the store tomorrow to test my theory!
I've only been bread baking in earnest about a year, I'm certainly no expert.

I have been baking in ernest for only 7 months or so. Prior to that, I baked some off and on. I just enjoy it. I can't beat that first slice when it's just out of the oven. I'm doing 2 loaves of rye every two weeks. Foccacia Bread for me, I have a grest recipie for that. Trying to get a loaf of 10 grain done.

I was just thinking too, that they would be good also if you threw in some dried minced onion and / or onion powder for onion buns. I LOVE onion buns for brats.

expat have you tried these in a bread machine at all? I was just wondering if it would work if I didn't want to play with dough sometime.

I'm not sure if I can cut down a work bagel recipe enough to make it home sized, but I'll try... in the meantime here's a tomato basil I tried last year that worked pretty well.

Yield: 8-12 bagels
Ingredients:
11/2 cups warm water (112-115 degrees F)
2 tablespoons dry yeast
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 TB dried basil (or to taste, i use alot, plus some garlic powder)
1 small can tomato paste
4 1/4 cups bread flour
8 cups of water, for boiling
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon water

1. In a small bowl, mix yeast, sugar and warm water together and let stand 3 minutes.
2. Mix 2 cups of flour with the salt in a large bowl; then add the yeast mixture. Stir until combined and slowly mix in the rest of the flour.
3. Knead dough on a floured surface for 5 minutes, adding additional flour if necessary. Dough should be fairly smooth and somewhat firm. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until double.
4. Punch dough down. Divide and shape into 12 balls. (For larger bagels, make only 8 balls.) Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
5. Bring 2 quarts of water to boil. Make a hole in each ball of dough and pull open about 2 inches, making a bagel shape. Place the shaped dough onto a cookie sheet and cover for 10 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop 2 or 3 bagels at a time into the boiling water for about 45 seconds, turning each once.
7. Drain cooked bagels on a wire rack. Mix egg white and water; brush tops with egg white mixture and top with optional toppings, if using. Place bagels on greased baking sheets.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, Bagels will be lightly browned and shiny.
I don't really follow directions for dough. Just do what you feel makes it work best for you.

Thank you so much, SuzieQ----I will try this sometime this weekend! It sounds very easy and I'm very familiar with bread making and not afraid of tackling it. You're a doll to take the time to write all of this down--I know how much trouble it is....Thanks again!!

OK so I made them! They just got out of the oven. So they aren't as pretty as Suzi's, but hey, it was my first effort! We're going to have brats with them tonight. :)

I had a bit of a time shaping them - but that whole rolling and pinching thing just doesn't work for me usually. I pinch, but then the seams come apart. :mad:

I did just now find this website which has a different method of shaping, I may try it next time.

bakingsheet: Cooking School: Hot Dog Buns

But the ones I just made are very good tastewise. I now have 4 instead of 5! (I halved the recipe) lol

ETA: Can someone help me on uploading pics? Does photobucket work? I tried to upload from there and it was a no go.

Last edited:
the pinching took me awhile too. you gotta pinch the crap out of it, remember, you wont hurt them!

Oops!

Well, as usual, experience is the best teacher with me. I made up my dough, let it raise, knocked it down and divided it into 2 oz portions, rolled ups some 6" long hot dog buns and a mess of hamburger buns, then let them proof while I went to the store. Upon my return, I was thrilled at how nicely they looked..nice and fluffy, smooth on the tops, nicely touching each other in the pan. Then came the disaster... I failed to grease the plastic wrap that I used to cover everything. :ohmy: That Saran Wrap was stuck to the top of every single hamburger bun and hot dog roll. No matter how gingerly i tried, it was not releasing its death grip on the dough, and every roll collapsed as I tried to salvage as much dough as possible.

I poured a glass of wine (for medicinal purposes only) and let the remnants attempt to raise for another 30 minutes, but the damage was already done, and was not reversible since everything was sitting on a nice bed of corn meal.

So, I just popped them in the oven and watched to see what would happen. As they were ready to come out, my son walked in the door with 'hungry' in his eyes. Out they came and he asked "why did you make bread sticks?" Following a quick explanation, he said to grab a stick of butter and coat the tops while they're hot. He then followed behind me with garlic powder and Parmesan cheese. He then grabbed some leftover homemade spaghetti sauce from the fridge, heated it in the nuke, and pronounced my disaster to be fine bread sticks for dipping!

img_582526_0_ef6b2c0daae14672bf362720327f2489.jpg

The hamburger buns, on the other hand, did not fare so well. I lost my cool trying to remove the Saran wrap, and just chucked the last four dough forms. What the balance of the dough turned into were "seasoned bread discs" to be used sometime down the road to sop up something runny like eggs or stew or something.

img_582526_1_db6078c05d2d16e28f2efd10796e33aa.jpg

All I can say is " I darn sure won't do THAT again!" LOL At least it's all edible.

I really believe we need to laugh at ourselves. Life's to short to take it seriously. Back to the KA mixer.

Joe

Joe - I definately believe in laughing at myself. - I have an ace in the hole, my two labs take care of the stuff that I won't serve. They'll eat anything, except celery.

If you used the All Recipies recipie, there is no rise and punch. It's mix shape 35 mins on the pan and bake.

Burger or Hot Dog Buns - Allrecipes

HTH

AC

Back
Top Bottom