"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Old 07-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #11
Executive Chef
When I make garlic bread, I chop the garlic (to taste) and add it to half a stick of butter and 1/4 cup of olive oil in a microwavable bowl. Put it in the microwave long enough to melt the butter. The amount of butter and oil will depend on how many loaves you are making, or how big the loaf is. Spread this mixture on the bread, to the edges. At this point, simply wrap it in foil and bake for about 25 minutes.

I like to add sliced jersey tomatoes, basil leaves, fresh ground black pepper and grated locateli cheese. Then I wrap it and bake it.

How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:17 PM   #12
Senior Cook
I use my mum's recipe -

250g butter, 1 T fresh chives, 1 t dried dill, 1 T fresh parsley, 2 cloves of garlic (i usually add more), 1/4 t dried mixed herbs. Chop it up and mix it together and put it on your bread and cook it.

I had no idea people made this so many different ways!

Little Miss J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #13
Senior Cook
Dang it! Y'all are making me mad I didn't buy a bagette at the grocery store tonight! I think I have to run back out.
Ekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:35 AM   #14
Executive Chef
I've been making dozens of dinner rolls, make the dough in the bread machine and bake them off in the oven, then slicing the rolls in thirds, and "pretending" they are baggettes. This has been working great in my many trials of all these great garlic bread suggestions. I can make mini batches of these various ideas. I have even dusted off the toaster oven for some trials, whod have thunk I would ever use that again??

Oh, and I have also been making fresh ricotta cheese, infusing it with minced fresh garlic and smearing that on my "baggettes".....I am in heaven......
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:49 AM   #15
Senior Cook
I let the butter soften and add salt and a mixture of fresh and dry herbs. Then I spread it on French baguettes. Sprinkle it it mozarella. Top it with whatever is available at home- sliced black olives/ chopped jalapenos/ tomatoes in balsamic, etc. Bake it at 200 degree celcius for 10 minutes.
The Purple Foodie
Shaheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:12 AM   #16
Sous Chef
I use pre-cooked(pre-cuit) baguette. I mix butter, fresh parsley and crushed garlic then spread on the pre-cooked baguette and put in the grill until it's nice and crispy.I love garlic bread.
There is no love sincerer than the love of food. ~George Bernard Shaw
Jikoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:25 AM   #17
Head Chef
Here is the simplest way to make garlic bread that I know of. Actually it's more like garlic toast. Toast bread, spread with butter, top with garlic powder or garlic salt. It's not the "chef's" method, but there's nothing faster. I doubt you would want to serve this in a restaurant, but it's worked at my house for years.
vagriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:10 AM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Mix your garlic and softened butter (any of the methods above will work). Spread it generously on both sides of thick slices of French or Italian bread. Pop into the toaster oven or under the broiler. Brown both sides. Watch carefully so that it doesn't over-brown or burn. I love this method because the crusts are nice and crisp, the browned part of the bread is lightly crisp, and the insides of the bread is soft.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote