"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 06-13-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
Sous Chef

May Have Goofed Again

Okay I am working on making some cheese crackers that you start out with flour, cayenne pepper, rice crispies, MARGARINE, sesame seeds and salt. Well I ended up getting butter instead of margarine and decided to go ahead and use that. Is there a time when you should use margarine instead of butter? I have already started blending everything together so I either need to toss it or continue making it. What say you?

Old 06-13-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Go ahead and use the butter.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I think you will get a flakier cracker with the butter anyway.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:50 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with Andy and Mudbug, use the butter, I'll wager you have a fantastic cracker coming along.

kadesma
Old 06-13-2006, 04:52 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Icy - doncha know - butter's always better!
Old 06-13-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
Sous Chef

LOL thanks all. Still don't know if it will turn out okay because I made 5 batches at one time and accidentally left out one stick of butter. Hopefully they will turn out okay.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:28 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Well the crackers are a flop. I can't even pick them up without them crumbling and I have no clue what is wrong. The only thing I can think of is that I made them about the size of a half dollar and I finally realized that they were way to big. Each batch was suppose to make 56 crackers and I made 5 batches. I think the total amount that I ended up making was about 200. I tried cooking them longer and that seemed to make the crumbling worse. :( Even though they taste really good, they do have a floury taste to them and they are soft and crumbly. :(
Old 06-14-2006, 12:43 AM   #8
Master Chef

IcyMist - if you will post the recipe you were using - and what you did differently - that might give us something to work from to help you figure out the problem. Without out those two things it's impossible to tell.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:58 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Since you forgot one of the sticks of butter, that's probably your problem. This is my 'Cheddar pennies' recipe - you can get an idea of the basic ingredients from it:

SPICY CHEDDAR PENNIES W/PECANS

Makes about 20 dz.

1 stick unsalted butter
1 pound very sharp cheddar, shredded, at room temp.
1 ˝ cups AP flour
˝ cup rice flour
˝ tsp salt
˝ tsp cayenne (more or less, to your liking)
˝ cup very finely chopped pecans

Heat oven to 325; line baking sheets with parchment.

In food processor, cream butter til smooth; add cheese, process til all mixed together. Add flours, salt, cayenne, and pulse til it forms a ball.

Remove from processor, work in pecans with your hands. Divide dough in 4ths; divide each 4th into 2 strips, and roll out under hands to make a ‘rope’ about the diameter of a penny. Repeat with all; place on a flat sheet and chill 30 minutes.

Cut each rope into slices about 1/8 inch thick, place on baking sheet (you can place pretty close together, as they don’t spread); then take your thumb and flatten them a bit.

Bake for 15-18 minutes, til light brown on top. (If you taste one and it’s a little chewy in the middle, put the sheet back in the oven another few minutes; you want ‘em crisp!)

I also think they may have been too big; how large did the recipe say to make them? IE, bigger crackers, longer cooking time, more chance of not cooking all the way through to a 'dry' state.

Tags
None