NY Times bread recipe--what FUN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same here, I leave my bread out on the counter in a plastic bag for up to six days, with minor changes in dryness. Maybe this is due to the shortened baking time, I believe we both eliminate or shorten the final 15 minutes of baking with the lid off. I am not precise in the baking temp.

GB said:
I have had the exact opposite experience. My bread has remained perfect for many days after it was baked. You would not be able to tell the difference between my 3 day old bread and my 1 hour old bread.

Which is what I also posted, GB. Mine stays very fresh in a plastic bag on the counter. Which is very different from the baguette, although the makeup is so similar.

I may be over baking mine, will take it out sooner next time. My crust gets so hard can hardly cut it. Not giving up, DH and I both enjoy it very much.

I don't even store mine in a bag. I let it sit out. I tried it in a bag the first time I made it, but the crust ended up getting too soft that way.

I do not remove the cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes. It is a perfect "well done" color after baking for 30 minutes at 450. I let it cool and keep it on my counter with a tea towel around it.

Next day I place it in a plastic OPEN bag and it lasts fine.

I'm thinking about making this recipe but I'm not sure if the pot I have will work. I have a large cast aluminum pot with a lid. The lid had a wooden knob for a handle on top and the pot was made to use over an open fire. I'm sure it will bake well but reading the recipe I wasn't sure if it would be a good substitute. It might be a good excuse to hit BB&B to look for the perfect thing to bake the bread in!

jabbur said:
I'm thinking about making this recipe but I'm not sure if the pot I have will work. I have a large cast aluminum pot with a lid. The lid had a wooden knob for a handle on top and the pot was made to use over an open fire. I'm sure it will bake well but reading the recipe I wasn't sure if it would be a good substitute. It might be a good excuse to hit BB&B to look for the perfect thing to bake the bread in!
I think you could use you this pot, just cover the knob with foil.

Well I finally did it!
At the age of 50, I baked my first loaf of bread:ROFLMAO:
Gretchen, thank you so much for starting this thread. I made mine this weekend as per the original recipe with two minor modifications, both of which were recommended here on DC. One was to reduce the amount of water from 1 5/8 cup to 1 1/2 cup and the other was to increase the amount of salt to 2 tsp. I have to admit I had absolutely no confidense that this would work (I'm definately NOT a baker). I was so suprised when I checked the dough after 18 hours. It looked alive! I did use the cotton towels as per the recipe with no sticking issues at all. I baked mine in a cast iron dutch oven but I didn't have a lid. Soooo, I made a coller so to speak from aluminum foil and covered the top edge of the pot. Then I put a cast iron skillet on top of the foil as a lid. Still can't believe that it worked:rolleyes:
Now that I feel a bit more confident, I'll be baking bread more often!
Man this stuff tastes good:)

John, you could use your cast iron oven as the TOP and use a cookie sheet for the bottom. Turn your dough onto the cookie sheet after the preheating time and then put the oven over the dough.

I'll have to try that on my next loaf Barb. Does the dough rise more?
Cando, that's a great idea. You should have seen the way I unceremoniously plopped the dough into the dutch oven:LOL: It was by all accounts pretty pityful.......

JohnL, That's the beauty of this recipe you can "plop" the dough and it still makes a good loaf to enjoy. Do you have a crock pot? You can use the ceramic inside.

I know you are going to bake this bread often. Try and get a pot easy to use. You will enjoy baking this bread more and more. Almost can't fail.

There must be a simpler POT for baking? Yes? Seek...you may find.
Garage sale? Thrift shop? It will be your BREAD POT.

John, oh you are hooked now, I'll bet!!! I've brot everything with me in our 5th wheel - this oven really sucks, but if it works here, then I'll believe the person who first said, you just can't mess up with this!

cjs, Just make sure the oven is well heated 450 degrees with the pot you are going to use in it. Remove, plop the dough in and wait for the great results. Keep us posted.

;) I baked a loaf for dinner with another couple. They couldn't get enough. I wish I had made 2 loaves.:rolleyes:

hum, well, like many others, it seems not possible.
I'll try it, what have I got to lose?
but with so many recipes calling for so much more yeast, I can't see how this could or would work.
Question, when you plop the dough into the hot/heated/smoldering receptacle you're going to use to bake it in ie. a le creuset or the inner part of my crock pot, do you let it rise in that, or no, just put the lid on and put it back in the oven? it'd be so neat if this did work and the testaments are wonderful but I'm a bit leary.
don't get home until tomorrow and after watching the video, it'll take about a minute to pull it together, then all I need is the rest of the weekend.
so 500 degrees for 30 minutes, take off lid and then how much longer in the same smokin hot oven?

Nope, no additional rising. Just plop the whole glob into the hot vessel. Put the lid on and bake as directed. You will be rewarded with awesome bread. Have faith!:)

I didn't bake mine at 500 degrees. I found 425 worked best for my cast-iron pot. Remove the lid and bake for about 15 or more minutes. The bread will come right out of the pan and it will "crackle" as it cools on a wire rack.

Last edited:
I do 500 degrees for 30 minutes with the lid on the whole time. After that it is done and I take it out and let it cool on a rack.

Try any of the ways mentioned and you will find what works for you. You will not mess it up though no matter which way you use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom