"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 12-19-2005, 05:17 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac
There's no yeast mentioned. Is the yogurt the leavening agent?
There is now.

Michael - It appears you have edited the original post. How much yeast is appropriate?

Thanks,
Tom

Old 12-19-2005, 05:38 PM   #12
Cook

The original recipe (look at previous reply as I found where I originally found the recipe) says 1ts (basicly a package), though I cut the recipe to about half. So I more then likely put in about a half to 3/4 of a ts. It rose very easily so I am still wondering if Yogurt is a leavening agent... hmmm... When I was looking for where I got it from to site here, there was many recipes that did not say to add yeast so it appears to be made either way... perhaps the yeast helps it rise a little faster (as apposed to just Yogurt)?

Michael Schaap
Michael_Schaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:04 PM   #13
Executive Chef

This is Madhur Jaffrey's recipe for naan bread that I have used for many years - it comes from one of her earliest cook books, not sure of the title, because the cover has disappeared through years of use! It comes out perfectly every time - as good as anything from our local 'Indian' restaurants (which are mainly run by Bangladeshis, but that's another story!)

150ml hand-hot milk
2 tsp caster sugar
2 tsp dried active yeast
450g plain flour
0.5 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus a little extra
150ml natural yogurt, lightly beaten
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Put the milk in a bowl. Add 1 tsp of the sugar, and the yeast. Stir to mix. Set aside for 15-20 minutes or until the yeast has dissolved and the mixture is frothy.

Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the remaining 1 tsp sugar, the yeast mixture, 2 tbsp vegetable oil and the yogurt and egg. Mix and form a ball of dough.

Empty the ball of dough on to a clean surface and knead it for 10 minutes or more, until it is smooth and satiny. Form into a ball. Pour about 0.25 tsp oil into a large bowl and roll the ball of dough in it. Cover the bowl with a piece of cling film and set aside in a warm, draught-free place for an hour or until the dough has doubled in bulk.

Pre-heat your oven to the highest temperature. Put the heaviest baking tray you own to heat in the oven. Pre-heat your grill.

Punch down the dough and knead it again. Divide into 6 equal balls. Keep 5 of them covered while you work with the sixth. Roll this ball into a tear-shaped naan, about 25cm in length and about 13cm at its widest. Remove the hot baking tray from the oven and slap the naan on to it. Put it immediately into the oven for 3 minutes. It should puff up. Now place the baking tray and naan under the grill, about 7.5-10cm away from the heat, for about 30 seconds or until the top of the naan browns slightly. Wrap the naan in a clean tea towel. Make all the naans this way and serve hot.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:03 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Schaap
The original recipe (look at previous reply as I found where I originally found the recipe) says 1ts (basicly a package), though I cut the recipe to about half. So I more then likely put in about a half to 3/4 of a ts. It rose very easily so I am still wondering if Yogurt is a leavening agent... hmmm... When I was looking for where I got it from to site here, there was many recipes that did not say to add yeast so it appears to be made either way... perhaps the yeast helps it rise a little faster (as apposed to just Yogurt)?

If it didn't have yeast, it probably had baking soda or baking powder. I haven't seen a naan recipe that didn't have either yeast or baking soda/powder. But then I haven't made it more than once or twice.

I don't think yogurt alone will act as a good enough leavening agent. You would need the acid in yogurt to act in tandem with baking soda to act as a leavening agent.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:10 PM   #15
Cook

Cool Ok that settes it for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
If it didn't have yeast, it probably had baking soda or baking powder. I haven't seen a naan recipe that didn't have either yeast or baking soda/powder. But then I haven't made it more than once or twice.

I don't think yogurt alone will act as a good enough leavening agent. You would need the acid in yogurt to act in tandem with baking soda to act as a leavening agent.
It certainly did contain yeast then. Baking powder and soda has too much sodium in it for me to use now so these would have not been used.

The recipe that Ishbel replied with is very similar though with the exception of the added sodium and cholesterol (from the egg).

Thanks for the thought on the Yogurt! I have been searching for an answer and so far I have come up with just what you had said...yogurt by itself is not a leavening agent.

Michael Schaap
Michael_Schaap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None