"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 12-19-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
Cook

Thumbs up Oh forgot to tell you guys about the Naan

Before I went to the hospital last week I made some INCREDIBLE Indian Naan! Wow it was so good. For those who do not know this is the flat bread that you get in Indian resturants. I just never thought it would come out so much like the real thing.

Here is what I did...

1/2 Cup White flour
1/4 Cup Spelt flour
2 TB Plain Yogurt
1/2 TB Olive oil (you could put less in)
(I put one package of splenda in it, but you dont have to)
Start with 1/4 Cup water and add SLOWLY (you dont want it too wet here)
Yeast

I put everything in the mixer and let the machine do it's thing for about 10 minutes with the dough hook. You don't want it too dry or too wet. Kinda like pizza dough. This won't seem like a lot of dough but it will give about a dozen 8 inch or so circles.

Let it rise in a nice warm spot till about double and punch down and kneed for a few moments.

You will now take a small piece and roll it on a well floured surface. The diameter of circle will depend on the pan you are using. I had a very large cast iron pan (the place I got the recipe said that the heavier the pan the better it is). You want this circle to be very thin though. So keep the surface floured and get it as thin as you can possibly make it.

Coat pan with olive oil or Pam (I used Pam) and get it hot. You want it very hot because this will cook quickly. Oh and one more thing. This will produce a certain amount of smoke. Get the fan on and possibly open up the door.

So when your circle (or circles as you should make several so you can pop them on the pan when they are done) is thin enough, drop one on the pan. Make sure the pan is real hot here. Soon as you put it on the pan it will start puffing up. When one side gets browned, toss it on the other side till they are both browned. Total on both sides could be in the 60 seconds area depending on how hot the pan is. When they are done toss them on a plate with some towels to absorb moisture.

Have fun!

Next time I'm gonna give it a bit of garlic (sucker for garlic).

Michael Schaap
Michael_Schaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
Master Chef

Never had it. Sounds wonderful though. Thanks for sharing!!

Old 12-19-2005, 12:53 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Schaap
Before I went to the hospital last week I made some INCREDIBLE Indian Naan! Wow it was so good. For those who do not know this is the flat bread that you get in Indian resturants. I just never thought it would come out so much like the real thing.

Here is what I did...

1/2 Cup White flour
1/4 Cup Spelt flour
2 TB Plain Yogurt
1/2 TB Olive oil (you could put less in)
(I put one package of splenda in it, but you dont have to)
Start with 1/4 Cup water and add SLOWLY (you dont want it too wet here)

I put everything in the mixer and let the machine do it's thing for about 10 minutes with the dough hook. You don't want it too dry or too wet. Kinda like pizza dough. This won't seem like a lot of dough but it will give about a dozen 8 inch or so circles.

Let it rise in a nice warm spot till about double and punch down and kneed for a few moments.

You will now take a small piece and roll it on a well floured surface. The diameter of circle will depend on the pan you are using. I had a very large cast iron pan (the place I got the recipe said that the heavier the pan the better it is). You want this circle to be very thin though. So keep the surface floured and get it as thin as you can possibly make it.

Coat pan with olive oil or Pam (I used Pam) and get it hot. You want it very hot because this will cook quickly. Oh and one more thing. This will produce a certain amount of smoke. Get the fan on and possibly open up the door.

So when your circle (or circles as you should make several so you can pop them on the pan when they are done) is thin enough, drop one on the pan. Make sure the pan is real hot here. Soon as you put it on the pan it will start puffing up. When one side gets browned, toss it on the other side till they are both browned. Total on both sides could be in the 60 seconds area depending on how hot the pan is. When they are done toss them on a plate with some towels to absorb moisture.

Have fun!

Next time I'm gonna give it a bit of garlic (sucker for garlic).
Michael! nothing like a piping hot nan right out of the pan or oven with some nice spicy pakistani ground beef curry with potatoes,yummmmmm....my all time fav meal...
Old 12-19-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
Cook

Thumbs up We had sauted chicken with it... yum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah
Michael! nothing like a piping hot nan right out of the pan or oven with some nice spicy pakistani ground beef curry with potatoes,yummmmmm....my all time fav meal...
Sarah, this might not be the best place for it (no clue), but could you give recipe for the ground beef curry. I have bought curry and graham masalah (spl), but have not had much luck in making something that taste very good with them yet. (the book "1,000 Indian recipes" is comming my way though)

Do you have the same experience with the Naan cooking up real smoky or was I doing something wrong?

Michael Schaap
Old 12-19-2005, 01:14 PM   #5
Head Chef

Micheal! i have never tried making nans at home,back in my country,they are available so easily in every market place and they are insanely good,so i've never tried my hand at them,i have a recipe though (of oven baked nans),might try it someday.But i do make chapati a lot at home,if you know what a chapati is.Its a staple food of north india and Pakistan,its a flat bread made by flour too,but its not puffy like nan,its thin and chewy,very very good,nothing like a home made chapati,and its very simple and quick to make too.
i dont use store bought curry powders,i make my own curries and bhajis from scratch,they are always better tasting and not hard to make at all.i will poste a ground beef and potato curry for you in the meat section now!Enjoy!
Old 12-19-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

There's no yeast mentioned. Is the yogurt the leavening agent?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:54 PM   #7
Cook

Question Hmmm..... good question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac
There's no yeast mentioned. Is the yogurt the leavening agent?
I am not sure if it is the leavening agent, but there was actually no yeast in the recipe. I am only guessing that it is as it did rise very well on it's own.

Anyone....?

Michael Schaap
Old 12-19-2005, 03:05 PM   #8
Cook

Exclamation Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Schaap
I am not sure if it is the leavening agent, but there was actually no yeast in the recipe. I am only guessing that it is as it did rise very well on it's own.

Anyone....?
I just looked at my notes. It seems that I have two recipes..... one of them does say to add yeast. Last week was really a bit of a haze for me, but if the Yogurt can not be a leavening agent that there was certainly yeast in the recipe since it did rise. I edited the recipe above to show that there is yeast in it. Thank you for the comment

Michael Schaap
Old 12-19-2005, 03:07 PM   #9
Master Chef

You sure you just threw the yeast into the mixing bowl?

It really doesn't work like that .....
Old 12-19-2005, 03:35 PM   #10
Cook

Here is where I got the original recipe:
http://bread.allrecipes.com/az/IndianNaanII.asp

I toned it down because I have just two people to cook for. I also combined the one I have from a book (the one without the yeast) since it uses some Spelt and I have always wanted to try Spelt:)

I also did not use salt (dietary)

Michael Schaap

Tags
None