"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 12-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Don't forget to beat it back on occasion. My first attempt ended with a jail break, that stuff gets uppity.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #12
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Don't forget to beat it back on occasion. My first attempt ended with a jail break, that stuff gets uppity.
LMAO! From the instructions I've read I should be dealing with it daily yes? Oh and thanks a LOT Frank, you made me snort hot coffee with that "uppity" comment.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
Master Chef

Site Administrator

If I remember correctly I had to do it twice a day for the first couple days...

The first one really got away from me. I thought it would take the cat hostage and start making demands.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #14
Everymom

Good to know. I'll keep the cats out of the kitchen!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #15
Executive Chef

LOL!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:55 PM   #16
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I had a starter for a while. I went out of the country on business for a few weeks and someone let it die, won't name names though.

Haven't had the heart to make more... all those little yeasts dying, a million voices crying out all at once...

At least I remembered to feed your cat.

That sourdough starter made great bread though. Sorry. :/

~Kathleen
Old 12-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #17
Senior Cook

sorry for the late input here, but in my experience, making a slurry of white flour and water and just leaving it out can just as easily result in green, purple & black slimy mold. you'll get surer results by enlisting the natural yeasts that inhabit the outer parts of grains, fruits, etc.

whole grain coarse ground rye flour will pretty dependably get you going, as well as organic grapes. i've also had good results with potato skins, but perhaps that was just luck.

unless you're using it daily, there's no need to feed it that often. after the initial love affair cools off, i think it's rare for most people (myself at least) to use it more than a few times a month for any extended period. i've never had any problems keeping mine in the fridge and feeding it once every week or two.

if you develop a starter that you just love, and plan on not using it for an extended period, you can pour some out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment, dry it out somewhat less than 100% (not by baking of course), break it up into a zip-lock bag, and keep it in the fridge for months. some people freeze it, but i've never tried.

besides bread, my favorite use is for sourdough buckwheat pancakes with maple syrup. just fabulous!

good luck with the batch you've got going.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #18
Everymom

Thanks! So far no disgusting mold, but I will admit that has occurred to me. (I am trying to rein in my germphobia here)

I have been a bit lax "feeding". Have only done it once but will do it again shortly. Its been a bit busy around here. I'm looking forward to trying this out and hopefully it will make a delicious loaf or two.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #19
Everymom

OK, my starter has separated. Is that bad? Also there is no mold on the starter, but on the rim of the container there are a couple of spots. Am I good to just clean that up and keep feeding this starter or do I need to start over?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Liquid separation is normal. Just give it a stir with a wooden spoon once or twice a day. Do you have a lid on your starter? If you don't you should. Not air tight, but to keep any more spores from infesting your starter yeast in order to prevent mold.

After your starter has taken hold (2+ weeks) it's best to refrigerate it to inhibit mold, but it won't hurt the yeast. I use one of those little brown cheese crocks - the ones with the wire lock on top - about 1-1/4 - 1-1/2 cup capacity. Something like that would work great.

Tags
None