Tuna fish sandwich without mayo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are over 32,000 recipes on the internet for eggless mayonnaise. Choose one.

Or more.

Barbara said:
Miracle whip - always tasted rancid to me.

To me, Miracle Whip tastes tangy, spicy, flavorful. Mayonnaise, on the other hand, just tastes greasy. Miracle Whip is what mayonnaise wants to be when it grows up.

KILL! the mayonnaise!.
Do what Urmaniac said - it's wonderful! Or mix in a few chopped olives, some tomato, a little chopped red or yellow bell pepper, or celery, or a little anchovy. All delightful.

Here is a recipe I came up with a while back, It is a curry tuna salad. I use Jamaican Curry Powder (Hot style) from the brand called Blue Mountain Country (order it on the web).

3 (6 Oz) cans of well-drained tuna
1 cup diced celery
4 Tb. finely diced onion (or to taste)
1 Tb curry powder (or to taste)
2 Tsp garlic powder (or to taste)
3/8-1/2 cup mayonnaise (or to taste) - will get to the substitution shortly

Place all ingredients in a 1quart (or larger bowl) and blend thoroughly.

Serve on any type of bread but you could also use toasted club/kaiser/hoagie rolls with lettuce and tomato or very thinly sliced pickles as garnish (if desired). Can also be served on melba toast, toast points or crackers as canapés (top with a slice of pimento-stuffed olive if you want to get fancy).

Like the above posted idea of capers and/or olives.

Think that the above posted idea using sour cream would work just fine. And a bit of acid such as lemon juice or maybe even a bit of balsamic vinegar would probably go very well.

Love DH, always pick up such great ideas.

That looks very, very tasty, auntdot!
Now it just occurred to me, in a flash of creativity...
could you use natural yoghurt instead of mayonnaise? Hmmm...

I make my own salad dressing in a cruet. EVOO...to it you can add lemon juice, vinegar. I also add to the cruet a little Italian Seasonings Salad Mix. Shake
and add to the tuna. Add some fresh ground pepper.

You can add all the usual ingredients, chopped onions, celery etc. Just omit the Mayo.

Wow, thanks so much for your suggestions. I wasn't expecting this many people to reply.

You are most sincere Easton. This is the internet 2007, the most powerful source of information on the planet. Welcome to DC.

No one suggested BBQ sauce! I make it with that instead of mayo every once in a while for a tangy sandwich. BBQ sauce, minced onion, shredded cheddar, canned tuna (water packed) good hot or cold.

StarKist brand tuna offers quality tuna (dolphin safe) that is packed in olive oil and flavored with things like garlic and dill. I tried one of these products on a whim and was very surprized at the quality. Most tuna I've puchased lately has more water in the can than it does tuna. Teh STarKist brand was packed with large chunks of tuna so that the fish almost completely filled the can. The was only about a tsp. of oil in the can. The tuna had great texture and a fine flavor. I didn't need to add anything but a bit of mustard on my bread to make a sandwhich from this stuff. Never thought I'd be impressed with a can of tuna.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Over here, if you order a tuna sandwich at a coffee shop, you'll get asked if you want salad with it and that's that! Salad or plain! I quite like it plain personally provided it isn't too chunky. Teriyaki sauce though is a good addition.

In the 70's, my mum would make mock mayo using condensed milk. Don't think that has eggs in it but I could be wrong. It turns out a bit sweeter than normal mayo but I guess you can manipulate the recipe to suit taste.

Back
Top Bottom