"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 11-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
Cook

What are the components of a good stuffing

So I want to make my own stuffing this year, but I've never made one before or liked any of the ones I've tried. What I'm wondering is what are the basic parts of a "good" stuffing? Thanks all!

Old 11-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
what will it be going with(sounds like a silly question)Bird or Pig?

regardless, one crucial ingredient is good day old bread(or older). If it was a great bread to start with, it will make for a great stuffing filler.

I'll wait to see if it's bird or pig before throwing out some ideas.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Bread, onion, celery butter, turkey stock, sage, salt and pepper. This is the basic starting point. Take it from there. Other additions can be mushrooms, cooked sausage, nuts and wild rice.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I am not sure if it's just because I didn't grow up stateside, but one thing that throws me off is the oyster stuffing. . .I just can't get into it, though maybe I juat haven't had a good one.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Cook

It's turkey. Does celery have to go in it? I loathe the stuff.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:45 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontg34 View Post
It's turkey. Does celery have to go in it? I loathe the stuff.
I puree the celery when my sister is eating over, she's fine as long as she doesn't get a chunk of it and everyone else would miss the flavor if I left it out. Alittle bit of celery goes a long way, flavor-wise.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #7
Executive Chef

This is my front end stuffing for Turkey. Buy good quality herb pork sausages, skin and place in a bowl, add chopped roast chestnuts,chopped shallots, sage, fresh breadcrumbs, eggs salt and pepper, mix and stuff.The amount you need will vary because of size of orifice, I also like to work the farce between the skin and breasts so I get a symmetrical bulge.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
Senior Cook

In addition to the bread, onions, celery and broth, the one thing good stuffing must have is sage.

A coupla years ago, I started using fresh sage, and I can't believe what a difference it makes.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
This is my front end stuffing for Turkey. Buy good quality herb pork sausages, skin and place in a bowl, add chopped roast chestnuts,chopped shallots, sage, fresh breadcrumbs, eggs salt and pepper, mix and stuff.The amount you need will vary because of size of orifice, I also like to work the farce between the skin and breasts so I get a symmetrical bulge.
+1
Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I rarely stray from the stuffing I grew up with and have always made for my family. If I made something different, they'd run me out of town on a rail.

Mine is composed of dried bread. I use the least expensive I can find, cube it and dry it in my dehydrator. Then, I add equal parts of chopped onion, celery and green pepper. Season with plenty of sage and salt and pepper. Moisten with several beaten eggs, scalded milk and melted butter. Most of it goes in the bird, front and in the cavity. The remaining, and I always make sure there's extra, is put into a buttered casserole, which is baked tightly covered with foil.

Never been any complaints of several generations of Thanksgiving diners.

Tags
None