"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I think we in the US hold our flag in more reverence. We do have laws regarding the way it may be displayed. Almost every law officer in the country has a patch of the American flag on their sleeve. As well as our military. Of the ten houses on this street where I live, six of the ten homes are flying the American flag. And on and on!
addie, i must admit that i don't have the first idea what you mean by this post, or what earthly vision prompted you to write it. but now that someone else felt offended enough to respond to it, i will simply add my voice to say that however innocuous your remarks about our national flags were intended, they came across as prejudicial and mean-spirited. you are neither of these things, addie. we know you better than that, so....

Old 12-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
addie, i must admit that i don't have the first idea what you mean by this post, or what earthly vision prompted you to write it. but now that someone else felt offended enough to respond to it, i will simply add my voice to say that however innocuous your remarks about our national flags were intended, they came across as prejudicial and mean-spirited. you are neither of these things, addie. we know you better than that, so....
As the list says, Canadians have pride in their flag. We have an almost religious reverence for ours. No offense intended. If you want to get arrested, try burning one on the National Capitol steps in Washington, DC. Just about the whole nation will turn on you.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
As the list says, Canadians have pride in their flag. We have an almost religious reverence for ours. No offense intended. If you want to get arrested, try burning one on the National Capitol steps in Washington, DC. Just about the whole nation will turn on you.
Courts have decided that burning an American flag is free speech protected by the First Amendment. You cannot be arrested for doing that.

Don't confuse gaudy displays of the flag for devotion. Lots of liars and hypocrites wrap themselves in the flag. That's why that saying exists.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #34
Head Chef

Your chocolate: I remember, most fondly, eating Jersey Milk candy bars on family vacations driving from Ohio to a rented Ontario fishing cabin -- a mere 50 or so years ago.

Canadian fresh-water fishing is tops.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #35
Head Chef

One of my favorite breweries is Canadian (Howe Sound Brewing) but I must say that between the Canadian beers and American beers I've had over the years, the American beers stand head and shoulders above the vast majority of the Canadian beers.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Your chocolate: I remember, most fondly, eating Jersey Milk candy bars on family vacations driving from Ohio to a rented Ontario fishing cabin -- a mere 50 or so years ago.

Canadian fresh-water fishing is tops.
I have to agree with both of these. Canadian chocolate is the best! And I grew up loving to fish for and eat walleye in Ontario.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Sorry, you can't have hockey. You have to share custody with the U.S. I don't know about the beer. I have a good number of friends that are local/micro-brew enthusiests and would probably argue that one but since I'm making you share hockey, and don't really care about the beer, you guys can have that one.

Poutine is gross so you can definitely have that one (although the best fries I've ever had were in Amsterdam).
I'm glad you said that about poutine. Chips and cheese possibly, chips and gravy at a pinch but chips and cheese and gravy! Bleuch!
Old 12-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I'm glad you said that about poutine. Chips and cheese possibly, chips and gravy at a pinch but chips and cheese and gravy! Bleuch!
Don't knock it till you've tried it! At least once, to be polite!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post

@PAG - can we claim basketball since we invented that?
If memory serves, wasn't basketball initially based on a game played by various North American tribes? Hockey might have the same ancestry. I should see if I can find the history of those sports.

Anyways, I'm not really a basketball fan so sure, as long as you are willing to share custody of hockey (which really is a good idea since I don't think either country could keep it from being stolen by the Russians without help).
Old 12-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
If memory serves, wasn't basketball initially based on a game played by various North American tribes? Hockey might have the same ancestry. I should see if I can find the history of those sports.

Anyways, I'm not really a basketball fan so sure, as long as you are willing to share custody of hockey (which really is a good idea since I don't think either country could keep it from being stolen by the Russians without help).
Aren't you thinking of lacrosse?

Hockey is sort of soccer on ice skates. Or polo on ice skates.